Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Babylon 5 Season FIVE Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once again the big downside of "super-saver shipping" at Amazon: mine isn't expected to ship until 04-19.
Old 04-12-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, same here. I understood the shipping method would be slow, but I didn't know they were gonna take their own sweet time getting it out the door.

Dickheads.
Old 04-12-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 464 Likes on 323 Posts
I'm gonna wait too. I just haven't been in a sci-fi mood lately. I've got a bunch of Farscape episodes on the back burner (which I like a lot better than B5, btw) along with season 4 of Angel, and season 7 of Buffy (R2).

Instead, I've been watching Freaks & Geeks and Homicide - that's more where my moods been at lately.
Old 04-12-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Once again the big downside of "super-saver shipping" at Amazon: mine isn't expected to ship until 04-19.
In my experience Amazon always ships well before the date they list. My order already says shipping soon.

Most of the time they ship +/- 1 or 2 days from the release date and arrives 2 days later. Pretty good for free shipping.
Old 04-13-04, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Daily bump

Today's the day the fifth season arrives. Anybody hitting the B&Ms for it?
Old 04-13-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gave it a passing thought. But I checked WorstBuy.com and they want 80 bucks. [Whew! That was close!]

I dislike Amazon deliberately stalling, but I’ll be damned if I’ll overpay at BB.

I wonder how much they want at Target?
Old 04-13-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wizdar
I wonder how much they want at Target?
Same price as Amazon: Link
Old 04-13-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm. I guess I know where I'm going for lunch...
Old 04-13-04, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Picked mine up just a couple of hours ago at Costco. Now, NOTHING will stop me from seeing "The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father" - the ONE episode I have never, ever seen. My mom forgot to set the VCR, the cable went out, TNT didnt rerun it because of Basketball - whatever! Fate has determened that I never see this episode.

HAH! HAH! HAH! I laugh at you, fate! HAH!

(Now watch - I'll get stuck with 2 Disc Three's or something)
Old 04-15-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Time for another bump.

Anybody care to comment on the video quality compared to previous seasons? (I'm still waiting on Amazon for my boxset)
Old 04-15-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I finally got my ship notice from Amazon.

Thanks to my wonderful SBC yahoo account, the email was in the “bulk” folder. Good thing I check that sucker before I delete.
Old 04-15-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Well, I finally got my ship notice from Amazon.
Mine shipped today too. Amazon is usually quicker, but I can't complain since it was the best price (with STL of course).
Old 04-16-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got my B5 season 5 I preordered from Amazon yesterday. Haven't started watching it yet.
Old 04-16-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine arrived as well. Good thing it's Friday.
Old 04-16-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-16-04, 08:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 597 Likes on 341 Posts
I have to wait another week to get mine.
Old 04-17-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got my copy.

Bandoman - I can't believe you are waiting - even after we did tell you 5 isn't as good as 4.
Old 04-17-04, 08:10 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 597 Likes on 341 Posts
If it weren't for Buffy/Angel, I'd be going stir crazy.
Old 04-18-04, 06:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Got it and watched it all already I have to say overall I'm mixed on season 5... it has one of my favorite eps of the entire series (The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari) but overall the majority of it is subpar if you ask me. Most of the problem has to do w/ the way it came about, the season feels drawn out compared to the other seasons. It just felt like all the filler eps they didn't film before got dumped into this season. Also it has some of the cheesiest eps (wrt over the top dialog and forced sentimentality) IMHO.
Old 04-18-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very Long Night is one of my faves.

I think S5 is not unlike S3 of Star Trek. One wonders how it would have turned out if the uncertainty [of whether or not S5 was gonna happen] had not been there and the series had been allowed to progress as originally designed.

I like View from the Gallery as one of my favorite “filler” episodes, too.
Old 04-19-04, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Time for the Season 5 summaries to begin.

As the station adjusts to the arrival of a new command officer and prepares for Sheridan's inauguration, a group of telepaths arrives looking for sanctuary.
How was the assassin able to steal a Starfury so easily? It's been previously implied ("Survivors," "A Voice in the Wilderness, part 2") that Starfury launches -- or more specifically, the launch bay doors -- are controlled from C&C. If that's true, the assassin might have had inside help, which would in turn imply a wider conspiracy.

Sheridan's decision to allow Byron's people on B5 may be a point of contention with Lochley, even though it was arguably a political question from the start. If she denied Byron's request, she clearly thought it fell within her jurisdiction to make such decisions, and may now feel that any decision she makes can be declared a political issue by Sheridan and overturned.

Sheridan's assumption was that by allowing the colony to form on the station, he'd be gaining telepathic allies in any future war between telepaths and normals. But doesn't that depend on the nature of the war? It might be sparked in such a way that it's not just a matter of Psi Corps versus everyone else, in which case having a colony of telepaths, some quite powerful, aboard Babylon 5 would be a tremendous liability. For example, Edgars' telepath virus ("The Exercise of Vital Powers") would clearly be seen as a threat by all telepaths, regardless of their political affiliation, and all normals would be potential carriers.

The question of who controls B5 is a bit muddled. Lochley is an Earthforce officer, but at least some of her senior staff (Zack and Franklin) are, judging by their uniforms, affiliated with the Interstellar Alliance. So is Sheridan, who is in some ways her superior and in others not. The rest of her subordinates, the crew of the station, are presumably employees of a sovereign state until B5's final disposition is determined. Though on a day-to-day basis this jumble of affiliations may not be problematic, it's probably untenable in the long term. For example, if some of the crew want higher pay, as in "By Any Means Necessary," it's not clear to whom they'd make their appeal.
Old 04-19-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Compromises was a helluva way to start a season/revived series. [YAWN] Except for G’kar, who, as always, is fun to watch.
Old 04-19-04, 09:20 AM

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this episode. Maybe my expectations were too low after reading for months about how bad the first half of season 5 is, but I thought this episode was no worse than an average one from season 2.
Old 04-19-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The mailman was good to me today.
Old 04-20-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today's Episode: "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari"

Londo suffers a serious heart attack and must face his greatest fear to survive. Lennier decides to start training as a Ranger.
Londo said he had never apologized for anything in his life, presumably referring to serious apologies rather than off-the-cuff conversational remarks. If that was because he was afraid to face the fact that he'd done great harm in the past, apologizing might count as facing his greatest fear, his last chance for redemption as prophesied by Lady Morella ("Point of No Return.") Of course, she was more likely referring to allowing himself to be strangled by G'Kar, since his next-to-last chance was to not kill the one who is already dead -- quite likely a reference to letting Sheridan go as he'll do in his final moments ("War Without End, part 2.")

Lennier's decision to join the Rangers may have other aspects in addition to the ones mentioned in the episode. For example, he may feel personally responsible for Marcus' death, since he was the one who inadvertently led Marcus to discover the existence of the alien healing device ("Endgame.")

Both Lennier and Londo followed the callings of their hearts in this episode, though Londo's heart was rather more emphatic about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.