Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Freaks and Geeks Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
Great link. There are some damn good writeups on there. The Friday Night Lights one is great.
Old 07-09-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
Yeah some great write ups on The Wire, Six Feet Under, and Arrested Development too. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-09-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thelwig14
I don't think F&G was preachy at all.

It was amazing television series, but I will be honest, I couldn't get into Undeclared at all. I thought it was grossly overrated.

Undeclared was a great show, though not on the same level as F&G
Old 07-10-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
As mentioned above, a re-release of the yearbook edition is essentially a rumor at best.
Freaks and Geeks Re-Release at Amazon.
Old 07-10-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Well slap my ass and call me Sally. Still the OP is talking about a blind buy. At 125 bucks (more than double the standard edition), I still would recommend the current version.
Old 07-10-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
F&G was very preachy -- it was pro-Mathletes.
Old 07-11-08, 10:29 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ive just started watching this show, hadn't seen it before. Just 5 episodes in

The characters are great . It does seem a tad weird because i just watched all of Undeclared and there are several actors in both.

Good to see a high school drama not focused on the jocks and prom queen types
Old 07-22-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu

Few people I noticed in this show that have gone on to much bigger roles:

1. Wallace from Veronica Mars was the student that Lindsay demolished in her short return to the Matheletes.

2. The younger brother math genius from Numb3rs was Neil's older brother that Lindsay went ga-ga for at the Schwieber's anual party.

3. Samaire Armstrong (Ari's original assistant on Entourage) is easily the best looking hippy chick in the history of television. I fell in love instantly.

RIP Freaks & Geeks.
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but finally picked this show up and am working my way through the episodes (on the mathletes one now, and Wallace was actually the guy that went up against the first chair, "evil" mathlete that Lindsey wanted to beat). Going through it now, there are a ton of recognizable faces:

Shia Lebouf (Transformers) as the original viking mascot
Lizzy Caplan (Related, the Class, Cloverfield)
Matt Czuchry (Gilmore Girls) as the rival high school leader
Joanna Garcia (Reba, Welcome to the Captain) as the head cheerleader
Rashida Jones (the Office) as the girl that wants to beat up Sam (I think this is one of the episodes that didn't air on tv)
David Koechner (Office, Naked Trucker and T-Bones show) as a waiter
Ben Foster (X3, 3:10 to Yuma)
Jason Schwartzman as the fake Canadian id guy
Kevin Corrigan (Grounded for Life) as Millie's creepy cousin who really gets them the fake ids

That's not even mentioning the success of Cardinelli on Scooby Doo (well, the movies made money, right?) and ER, Daley on House, and Segal, Franco, and Rogen in the movies.

I know the show was on a long time ago, but seeing that many recognizable faces really surprised me, and I'm only halfway through the set. Amazing job with the casting.

As a side note... how did Rogen get in the credits but Busy Phillips did not? She seems featured way more than Seth, who seemed to disappear for a couple of early episodes entirely.
Old 01-01-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig

As a side note... how did Rogen get in the credits but Busy Phillips did not? She seems featured way more than Seth, who seemed to disappear for a couple of early episodes entirely.
I said the same thing to my wife. There are several episodes early on that he doesn't have any scenes and Phillips is heavily featured in every episode I've seen so far.

My wife just got me the yearbook or X-mas and I'm absolutely in love with this show.
Old 01-01-09, 11:52 PM
Banned

I hope this show resurrects another great nostalgic drama called Almost Grown which also got cancelled way too early and brings it to DVD soon. Only 13 episodes from 1988-89 with Tim Daly and Eve Gordon. I have some on tape but not all of them aired.

http://www.tv.com/almost-grown/show/3136/summary.html

[BTW, I'm a freak and a geek and watched all original episodes on NBC before it was canned.]
Old 01-02-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My best friend and I used to watch it during its original run while we were in high school. We would talk about it all the time about how awesome the show was. Then I later bought it from one of the DD.com 20% sales and it is easily one of the best purchases on DVD I have ever made
Old 01-02-09, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I caught an episode on NBC - "Tests and Breasts" The ending where Daniel is trying to fool his teacher with his "put on the (educational) slowtrack" BS story and then Lindsey just loses it and cracks up, blowing his story.

I was hooked.

Classic stuff. It truly captured a specific era well, but really a larger era of high school perfectly... and just so many great funny moments.

I started to tape them on Fox Family, and never thought that it would make it to DVD. I held hope on F&G website like so many others and promptly ordered the yearbook upon word of its release (love it so much that I also have a "backup" standard edition).

It's great to see so many from the show go off to more success.
Old 01-02-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought the hype here, d/l'd the series, watched it and I am soooo glad I never got into it to the point that I blind bought DVD set. I know I'm in the extreme minority on this, but I don't get what was so good with this series. Maybe it has to do with my not going to school in the states, but I really just did not like it.
Old 01-04-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Still in my top five shows of all time.

Just rewatched all of them a few months back.
Old 01-04-09, 03:55 PM

I've been cursed with being one of those few that watches great doomed-to-be-canceled shows from the beginning. My So-Called Life, firefly, and Freaks and Geeks.

Loved it from the first episode. It still holds up after multiple viewings.

Now I irrationally resent everyone who catches it years later and deems it "brilliant" and "canceled too soon" ...it's your fault!
Old 01-04-09, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I've been cursed with being one of those few that watches great doomed-to-be-canceled shows from the beginning. My So-Called Life, firefly, and Freaks and Geeks.

Loved it from the first episode. It still holds up after multiple viewings.

Now I irrationally resent everyone who catches it years later and deems it "brilliant" and "canceled too soon" ...it's your fault!
Caught both of these after they aired-- and both are in my top 10 all-time faves. Sorry.
Old 01-04-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rented it a couple years back when I was still working at the video store and made it past the first couple of discs before giving in and buying it, was totally worth it.
Old 06-01-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Your Freaks & Geeks story

My bro loaned me the dvd set, and I've watched the first 5 or 6 episodes. So far, I think the pilot was the most memorable. Absolutely loved that brutal dodgeball scene where Bill gets pelted in the head with the coach egging on the jocks. I will most likely end up buying one of the two available series sets.

One of the things that endears me to this show is its similarities to one of my all-time fav comedies "Revenge of the Nerds".

Last edited by Jack Straw; 06-01-09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched "Smooches and Mooches" last night and was dying when Joe Flaherty emphatically denounced Neal Peart's drumming to Nick. For those who aren't aware, it was Rush who used Flaherty's Count Floyd video introduction to their song "The Weapon" during one or more of their tours, so I can only assume that he is a fan and vice-versa.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 06-09-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 08:14 PM

Now that this has been resurrected, I'll chime in: I bought the DVD two weeks ago and I've watched the series twice through and once again with commentaries. I love everything about this show. It's taken the place of Firefly as the canceled out of the gate show I mourn the most. Martin Starr should have been put in everything for this: everything he does is funny. And I've tried to find ways to slip Harold's Korea story into my day-to-day (That was the worst $5 I ever spent!). That and, Millie's "she fornicates it." Oh hell, if I list all my favorite little moments of this show I'd post every line and every look in every episode. This is so much better and more human than anything Apatow's produced/directed since.
Old 06-10-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched "The Little Things" (17th) episode last night (1st time). Jeez, I really didn't think the show would have one of its characters turn out to be a
Spoiler:
hermaphrodite (at birth)
I just really didn't see that coming at all. Tonight I will watch the 18th and final new episode of F&G that I will ever see again.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 06-10-09 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I got this for my birthday last year. Best gift I got
Old 06-10-09, 05:04 PM

May as well chime in. I borrowed this from a friend a couple of months ago and my wife and I both loved it. We were both very sad when it ended knowing that there wasn't a second season to watch. I'll probably pick up the set at some point, and probably Undeclared as well. I never saw this on TV, but I do remember an episode or 2 of undeclared.
Old 06-10-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I saw the clip of Mr. Rosso singing Alice Cooper to the kids and decided to give the series a try. One or two dud episodes aside, it was a great series.
Old 07-13-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just started watching this. I had no idea it was so old. I was wondering how they found all these kids that look like other actors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.