TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Apprentice 04/01

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess/thoughts on the final two are:

******Bill vs. Amy******

Nick is not that smart, and he has escaped more times than he should have. The whole Trump Ice negotiation went terrible "How about a truck load?" NO "How about a pallet? " NO, "How about a case?"...I would have laughed the guy right out of the place...Nick has the must sell no matter how little mentality since it is still a "win" to him. That is terrible..I guess in his line of work it is better to come out of a meeting with a $2 commission than $0...

Kwame, while he may be intelligent (editing makes it hard to tell for certain) has been pretty much a guy along for the ride. He hasn't stuck his neck out there and gone for the home run, he is much more conservative "slow and steady wins the race" type of guy. I think this is a good philosophy, however, from time to time a CEO needs to make bold decisions (often the boldest ones are the most unpopular) to advance a company's success.

Bill seems to have good business sense, able to quickly identify opportunities and is not afraid to go after them. If I have one knock on him it is that he is not always as aggressive in the board room or when fighting for things he believes in, and when he does he seems a little flustered. You need to remain cool and collected when negotiating contracts and making "big business" deals.

Amy seems to have been on a lucky/winning streak, I can't tell which. I think she often has good ideas (advertising on the back of the bikes, etc.). My only problem with her style is that it involves too much femininity. She will occasionally flirt, bat an eyelash, etc. to get someone over the hump. This will most often not work as a CEO since it all comes down to money and noone is going to give you millions of dollars...sure, $5 for a glass of lemonade and a kiss is fine but you could kiss the union negotiator all you want but they are not going to rollover and give you that 10% pay cut.

However it plays out it has been fun to watch and for the most part the "best" have survived.
Old 04-02-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll admit, I have only been watching the show the past couple of weeks, but from Amy all I've seen is that stupid rent-a-car idea, and then this week's "let the place sell itself!" Not very business-savvy, IMO.
Old 04-02-04, 02:28 PM
toq

During the episode with the rickshaws, wasn't she at least partially responsible for coming up with the idea to place advertisements on them?
Old 04-02-04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by toq
During the episode with the rickshaws, wasn't she at least partially responsible for coming up with the idea to place advertisements on them?
Two words: car rental

I hope Bill wins at this point.
Old 04-02-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 420 Likes on 315 Posts
I just watched it....why bring Omarosa back? Makes me not want to watch next week.

Kind of sad to see Kwame and Troy "break up"

Old 04-02-04, 02:49 PM

I am definitely not a business man (tech professional) but I think Kwame is still around because he would be more meticulous with business dealings. Most deals he would be involved in would have data and other market information to base judgement on and not 10 hours to start a bike taxi service. Granted both Bill and Amy seem to have the edge on lasting, I couldn't see Troy surviving in that position. But again that is what I was thinking last night after Troy was fired.
Old 04-02-04, 04:31 PM

Kwame seems like the kind of person Donald would have sitting on either side of him in the board room.

Nick is a snake, and Amy and Bill would be eyeing Donalds chair.
Old 04-02-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gettinbranded
Kwame seems like the kind of person Donald would have sitting on either side of him in the board room.
If I was starting a company, I'd want both Troy and Kwame advising me. Two different styles... or something like that.
Old 04-02-04, 06:25 PM

You guys sure are hard on Nick. You guys bring up editing a lot, but never with Nick. He did sell Trump Ice during that episode, but they only chose to show the one sales pitch that failed. Everytime he has been PM, he has won. He's a good leader. I think a good finale would be Nick vs. Bill.

Is there any word as to what the Finale will consist of? We are gonna try to watch it down in our largest classroom of the Business college. Huge projector. Gonna be sweet. Gotta be at least a 150" screen.
Old 04-02-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Troy's Best Moment:

"I want whatever you want."

Old 04-02-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 646 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Troy's Best Moment:

That's what I'm talking about. You think Mr. Intelligence (as Kwame has apparently been deemed by some) would have had the smarts to do that?
Old 04-02-04, 10:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was shocked when Troy picked Kwame to go to the boardroom. No doubt Trump fired him as a lesson in diversity.
Old 04-02-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I was shocked when Troy picked Kwame to go to the boardroom. No doubt Trump fired him as a lesson in diversity.
Something I like about this show is the fact that the project manager has to pick who is on the chopping block alongside them. It's a good way to avoid people eliminating the strongest competition first, since if they picked a really strong competitor it would only hasten their own exit.

On some of the other shows (Survivor, etc.) it gets boring when all the mediocre contestants rid themselves of the strong competitors early on. The way this show is structured it avoids that.

Troy probably realized that if he picked Bill, he wouldn't have had a chance at staying.
Old 04-02-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia

On some of the other shows (Survivor, etc.) it gets boring when all the mediocre contestants rid themselves of the strong competitors early on. The way this show is structured it avoids that.
The Apprentice is the first reality
show I've watched. Can anyone clarify
what Jadzia is referring to? How do the weak guys manage to outlast the strong on Survivor?
Old 04-02-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by diesteldorf
what Jadzia is referring to? How do the weak guys manage to outlast the strong on Survivor?
Politics, manipulation and backstabbing are just as important if not more than "strength"
Old 04-02-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by diesteldorf
The contestants vote out someone every week. So the weak guys often form alliances and vote as a bloc to oust the biggest threats. This also happens on Big Brother, although the Head of Household that week nominates two people for the rest of the house to vote on who'll leave.

On The Apprentice, you have Trump making the final call, after the project manager nominates someone. It's obviously in the project manager's best interest to pick a weaker contestant for the boardroom, or else they risk being fired themselves.
Old 04-02-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Troy's Best Moment:

It was actually :

"I want the one you want."

But I have to agree. That was a classic move.
Old 04-03-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nick has got to be gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 04-03-04, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by kilcher
Nick has got to be gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
?
Old 04-03-04, 09:07 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts
Troy was on Leno last night.

He was signing to his sister who is adopted native american. She bought him the stetson for 10 dollars. Which is why he has carried it everywhere.

He basically said that he had no college pretty much because he had to support his mom and sister.

He is also starting night school, and told Jay to tell donald that if he paid for him to go to Wharton for 4 years he'd be back to make him a billion dollars.

Also the boardroom 'grillings' he called them last 2 hours.

and as to his pick for who wins it all, given that no-one knows because it will be shown live its as much a guess as you or me.

But his pick
was
Spoiler:

Kwame .... .... .....
Old 04-03-04, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
He was signing to his sister who is adopted native american. She bought him the stetson for 10 dollars. Which is why he has carried it everywhere.

He basically said that he had no college pretty much because he had to support his mom and sister.
You can read Troy's bio at his website.

It's really very moving & inspiring. His obvious love for his adopted Eskimo sister, DoraLyn (who has spinal meningitis), has been the motivating factor in his life -- enabling his transformation from "Troubled Teen from a Broken Home" to the man he is today.

Though The Donald may not respect his lack of a degree, I don't think Troy will be lacking in job prospects down the road.
Old 04-03-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did Trump tell anyone "You should have kept your mouth shut?" I saw that in the commercial previews but I don't remember it happening on the show.
Old 04-03-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved Amy's ice daggers look when Moose mentioned Nick's woman waiting for him on the west coast. Ouch. Made Sam look like a happy cheerleader.
Old 04-03-04, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Edge
Did Trump tell anyone "You should have kept your mouth shut?" I saw that in the commercial previews but I don't remember it happening on the show.
He told Kwame that after he bagged on Troy a little. The full quote was something like "You should have kept your mouth shut, now he's bringing you to the boardroom." It was in good humor, not a "Shut yo' mouth!" type of thing.

Of course, the editing last week made it look like he was firing somebody for talking smack in the boardroom.
Old 04-03-04, 10:32 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts
skorp, troy's story is pretty touching and he seems genuine

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.