Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Get your TIVO ready - "The Sting" widescreen on TCM

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-31-04, 03:11 AM
Suspended

Since the current DVD release is pan/scan, here is a chance to get it in the OAR. Turner Classic Movies is broadcasting "The Sting" in letterbox format on Tuesday, April 13, 2004, at 8 PM EST. The R2 DVD release is in RSDL anamorphic (which I suppose you could import, but what a pain), but the US release is SSSL Pan/Scan (what a shame!), so here we have the chance to see this film properly.
Old 03-31-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Importing is a pain?
Old 03-31-04, 07:07 AM

Yes.
Old 03-31-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Get your TIVO ready - "The Sting" widescreen on TCM

Originally posted by Forum Troll
I suppose you could import, but what a pain...
Thanks for the info re: The Sting BUT....

Importing is NOT a pain - it is absolutely no different than online ordering from any US-based company.

Yesterday I placed an order with HMV UK that included the letterbox Moonstruck a special edition of African Queen, several British comedy classics not available in the US, etc. - it shipped within 18 hours, and I'll have it in another 3-5 days.
It could not have been easier.
Old 03-31-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I forget what The Sting is rated... But TMC edits-for-content. If it's not an issue, great. But if there is "content" it won't be worth it.
Old 03-31-04, 09:46 AM
Cool New Member

TCM does not in fact edit for content. Perhaps you are thinking of the rather sad AMC.
Old 03-31-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Importing is NOT a pain - it is absolutely no different than online ordering from any US-based company.
I expect he's referring to the added shipping costs, the longer shipping which naturally occurs when shipping longer distances, and the question of customs on certain orders which are too much.

But you're technically right, it doesn't literally cause actual physical pain.

But TMC edits-for-content
This is not only patently untrue, but what would be cut from "The Sting" even if it were true (which it's absolutely not)?
Old 03-31-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also wondering what the original poster has experienced in the past that makes him think importing is such a pain. From my experience it's no different than ordering from any online etailer. I've gotten orders from all over Europe, Asia, Australia and Canada It's never been any different than ordering from Amazon.com or any other US based retailer.
Old 03-31-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But you're technically right, it doesn't literally cause actual physical pain.
You never used dvdexpress, did you?
Old 03-31-04, 11:13 AM

It seems three channels are being mixed up in this thread:

AMC = American Movie Classics (once great, now with tons of commercials, edits, and pan & scan)

TMC = The Movie Channel (doesn't edit for content, but shows a lot of stuff in pan & scan)

TCM = Turner Classic Movies (shows movies in OAR and doesn't edit for content)

The Sting is showing on TCM.
Old 03-31-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fox Movie Channel shows a lot of movies in OAR, too. And I don't think they edit for content either. I remember watching an unedited version of Die Hard recently.
Old 03-31-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Groucho,

I agree with everything you said 100% except:

American Movie Classics (once great, now with tons of commercials, edits, and pan & scan)
In that I've seen plenty of stuff on AMC letterboxed when appropriate, even now that they have the horrible commercials and edit stuff for content. Granted, though, they used to be much better about that (I still have old VHSes of movies they showed lbx which don't get shown anywhere anymore, like Altman's "Countdown" for instance), but they at least offer the option sometimes, which is more than any other commercial television channel does (to my knowledge), even on cable.

And, for the record, I wasn't confusing TCM with TMC, I didn't even notice that the poster I was responding to had flopped the letters. I had intended to be defending TCM itself (though TMC doesn't edit for content either).
Old 03-31-04, 11:51 AM

I haven't seen a letterboxed movie on AMC in a long long time, and even then it was in the wee hours of the night. They've gone completely downhill.
Old 03-31-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[unrealistic dream] Will they be showing it commercial free? [/unrealistic dream]
Old 03-31-04, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
[unrealistic dream] Will they be showing it commercial free? [/unrealistic dream]
TCM shows all movies without commericials.
Old 03-31-04, 12:38 PM

re: what could be edited - isn't there a little nudity with that waitress (who is not just a waitress) when she is in bed after spending the night with redford?
Old 03-31-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TCM does not have commercials, but I know they edit for content. I remember seeing both Raging Bull and Day of the Jackal on that channel with language or nudity edited.
Old 03-31-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
TCM shows all movies without commericials.
Thanks, that goes to show how much I watch that channel.
Old 03-31-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rennervision
TCM does not have commercials, but I know they edit for content. I remember seeing both Raging Bull and Day of the Jackal on that channel with language or nudity edited.
they do? raging bull is played uncut with all the f bombs. my ears clearly heard "you f***ed my wife" and many other phrases. Also saw t&a on "Logan's run", so your wrong on that.
Old 03-31-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rennervision
Absolute baloney!

This is from TCM's own website here:
When did you start showing R rated movies. We find the material you show to be offensive and inappropriate. Will it continue, or do we start watching another channel?

Answer
Dear Viewer,

We have been showing R rated movies for some time and we never edit our films for content.

We do show the film's rating at the beginning of the movie so that viewers can be aware of it. We also try to program R rated movies late in the evening as well. We're sorry that you were offended by the language in that film and hope that you will continue to watch TCM. Thank you for your e-mail.

TCM Web Staff
Old 03-31-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very interesting. It was a few years ago when I saw those two examples I cited. Could they have changed their policy?

to TCM if that's the case.
Old 03-31-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: what could be edited - isn't there a little nudity with that waitress (who is not just a waitress) when she is in bed after spending the night with redford?
I would say, from memory, that that sequence has significantly less nudity than the last bit of 'Alien'. Which is to say, you might see Salino's back, but not even the lower half. I don't even think it's *that* much.

Groucho - you may be right, I can't watch AMC myself anymore, although I believe they showed 'Speed' letterboxed in at least one of the showings of it whichever month it premiered. I always thought it was funny watching that channel lose all interest in its own name ... first they started showing movies from other countries ... then they started showing television shows ... and then, finally, they started showing movies from the mid and late '90's, movies which were even less "Classic" than the aforementioned 'Speed'. It was always a shame, they were once a great channel, but I'm glad we've got TCM now to fill in for it.

I also used to laugh at the hypocrisy of Bravo who always "celebrated the arts" or whatever they say, but *always* censored everything (even before they started commercials, quite some time ago).

It was a few years ago when I saw those two examples I cited. Could they have changed their policy?
Let's put it this way; since you're the only person who has any memory of them ever censoring anything, it's clearly fair to say it's definitely not their policy to censor anything now. If it ever was, it was probably because they were going after that market of people who love old movies but hate new-fangled ones with their cursing.
Old 03-31-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Let's put it this way; since you're the only person who has any memory of them ever censoring anything, it's clearly fair to say it's definitely not their policy to censor anything now. If it ever was, it was probably because they were going after that market of people who love old movies but hate new-fangled ones with their cursing.
That's obviously true. It's been a long time since I've watched any movie on TCM that was rated by the MPAA. (Actually for the very reason that I don't like to see movies edited for content, so I wish I had known!) I imagine their target audience (i.e., movie buffs) are more offended at the notion of seeing the film edited and sanitized,* so I think it's great they are doing this for a channel included in my basic cable service.

*=(unless that movie buff is the famous film critic, Cameron Spencer Osborne)
Old 03-31-04, 06:14 PM
Banned

Half the posts in this thread are rediculous falsehoods, missinformation, and out right lies.

What the hell is going on in here?

One guy says, "Hey, The Sting will be on TCM in OAR!"

Next guy says, "Too bad TCM has commercials"

Uhh, No

Next guy says, "Too bad TCM edits for content"

Uhh, No

Next guy says, "I watched it once and they did"

Uhh, No
Old 03-31-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think the original poster was referring to importing, in general, as being a pain.

I know that for me, owner of only a region 1 DVD player, it would be a "pain" to have to import a region 2 DVD and buy a region 2 player or whatever in order to watch it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.