Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

About to get DIRECTV but want to keep my cable modem, how?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 01:38 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have digital cable and high-speed cable internet with the same cable company. I decided to get DIRECTV and cancel my cable next week when the DIRECTV gets installed. I still want to keep my cable modem though, since both run through the coax cables is there any way that I can have DIRECTV and still have high-speed cable internet through my cable provider?
Old 03-16-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Check with your cable provider, but I think most of them now offer stand-alone internet. Some companies charge a little more if you don't have their cable television. I'm with TWC/NC, and they used to offer a slight discount if you got both, but about 1.5-2 years ago, they changed policy so you can get RoadRunner with or without having any cable for the same price [Of course, now they offer 'special packages,' where the more you buy, 'the more you save'.]
Depending on why you're going to DirecTV, when you call the cable company and tell them, they may offer you a 'keep the customer' deal. When we moved, we couldn't get a sat signal, so had to leave Dish, and TWC offered us something like a 45% discount for a year as a 'satellite customer winback' program.
Old 03-16-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Your cable company should offer a "cable internet only" option.

Your situation is similar to mine: I had Comcast for cable television and internet, and in January I switched to DirecTV.

I'm still using Comcast for cable internet, and DirectTV for television.
Old 03-16-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Dish and Cox cable internet with local cable channels. You could cancel the cable channels and get internet only but lose a small discount by doing that.
Old 03-16-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would definitely suggest looking into what big whoppa suggests. I believe that my local flavor of Comcast charges $20 more if you don't have any cable TV. I think the basic channel lineup is something like $12 a month, so you'd come out ahead by $8 even if you didn't actually use the basic TV package...
Old 03-16-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
A question for those who went this route and have Comcast Internet. If you cancel your cable, but keep the internet, do you still get the channels? I had heard before that this is true, but maybe that has changed.
Old 03-16-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm with Comcast and I get a $15 discount on my modem service as long as I have Cable TV. So what I did was drop down to limited service for $12 and I still get my discount so I'm saving $3. There is a thing called a Diplex(?) that splits Sat and cable signal. Or you can just keep you straight run of coax for you modem.
Old 03-16-04, 05:28 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Timber
I'm with Comcast and I get a $15 discount on my modem service as long as I have Cable TV. So what I did was drop down to limited service for $12 and I still get my discount so I'm saving $3. There is a thing called a Diplex(?) that splits Sat and cable signal. Or you can just keep you straight run of coax for you modem.
Check out Earthlink. They offer cable internet in my area (MA) for $45/month. You do not have to subscribe to cable TV. They use Comcast's lines in my area. That would save you $12/month if you don't need their TV service.