DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   who here does not like THE FAMILY GUY (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/347461-who-here-does-not-like-family-guy.html)

Cocopugg 02-17-04 01:13 AM

Originally posted by ScottyWH
I love family guy.. couldn't stand it when it was airing and I hate futurama.. but I do like simpsons and south park... go figure
Yeah, I for one am sick of Groenig's Simpsons look. I think Futurama is boring, and the Simpsons got old about 8 yrs ago. Family Guy is still too new to know where it's going, but that Stewie kid really steals the show. Let's see where the show goes in its next season.

CP

msdmoney 02-17-04 01:57 AM

I really enjoy Family Guy, The Simpsons, and South Park and appreciate them for what they are worth. It seems like some people here feel like they must choose one or the other (Simpsons vs. Family Guy).

Family Guy is offensive and obnoxious, I know my girlfriend can't stand the dad, but at times I think it acheives some of the brilliance and cleverness of the Simpsons albeit in a more devilish manner. I will agree that some of the jokes are very hit or miss, sometimes I stare blankly and awkwardly at a joke, but sometimes they hit big, really big. Also the characters aren't as redeeming as the Simpsons, but some are just as enjoyable. Baby Stewie and Peter the dad, are both brilliant and funny at times IMO.

I think a show that can also be really hit or miss is South Park. I see much more adolescent humor in the show and gross out humor which I hate. Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo for example. However I enjoy the show overall because at times it is also very clever and handles some issues in a very smart way.

I have tried getting into Futurama but frankly don't so much as snicker at the jokes, just don't find it very funny. I also am bored to death by King of the Hill. I really don't need a life lesson from Hank or his family.

I have included quotes that I found funny, probably won't seem funny in text but may inspire some.

"I walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table. I looked with a grimace at the questionable meal Lois had placed in front of me. Of course I'd never tell her how disgusted I was with her cooking, but somehow I think she knew. Lois had always been full of energy and life, but lately I had begun to grow more aware of her aging. The bright, exuberant eyes that I had fallen in love with were now beginning to grow dull and listless with the long fatigue of a weary life. [Lois knocks Peter unconscious.] I woke several hours later in a daze."

- Peter Griffin, narrating his own life out loud.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dennis Miller: I don't want to go on a rant here, but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowulf having sex with Robert Fulton at the First Battle of Antita. I mean when a neo-conservative defenistrates its like Paskalnikoff philibusters dioximonohydroxinate.

Peter: What the hell does rant mean?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter is trying to come up with a fake name for himself.

*looks at a plate of peas

Peter: Peeeee

*looks at a girl crying

Peter: Tearrrr

*looks at a Griffin

Peter: Griffin. Peee Tear Griffin.

baracine 02-17-04 07:35 AM

Every TV comedy worth its salt, every comedy, in fact, since the beginning of time usually makes an uplifting point of some kind, even if it might appear idiotic or absurd at first glance.

"The Family Guy"'s only point is : "Look, boobs, I made a funny! Oh, and we're all worthless pieces of trash wallowing in our own filth, by the way! And we sincerely hope our show has helped you while away the endless hours of your unjustifiable existence!"

It's a show for airheads who have self-worth issues. Britney Spears would consider it profound if it wasn't for the fact the cultural references fly right over her head.

A-aron 02-17-04 07:37 AM

Originally posted by baracine
Every TV comedy worth its salt, every comedy, in fact,since the beginning of time usually makes an uplifting point of some kind, even if it might appear idiotic or absurd at first glance. "The Family Guy"'s only point is : "Look, boobs, I made a funny! Oh, and we're all worthless pieces of trash wallowing in our filth, by the way!" It's a show for airheads who have self-worth issues. Britney Spears would consider it profound if it wasn't for the fact the cultural references fly right over her head.
I guess you never watched the episode "Brian Wallows and Peter Swallows", eh?

JestersTear 02-17-04 07:58 AM

Family Guy: great show. If you don't like it, hey, whatever. I'm sure I could range through your list of viewing pleasures and drag out something I think is utterly without merit also.

South Park: Hit or miss. When they try to be topical and do a rewrite to cover a news event that happened in the last couple days, their show really sucks.

Simpsons: The show everyone compares a cartoon to. I hate to break it to you Simpson fanatics, but the show has jumped the shark. When the studio apologized for offending whatever country (Brazil?) with the tourism episode, that showed that the creators had lost their balls and were now afraid of the PC police.

Futurama: Never watched it in first run. Started watching it on Cartoon Network. Took me a while to get in to it, but now I'm picking up the DVD's.

King of the Hill: To quote Beavis - "This sucks, change it!" I tried watching a couple eps, but the animation that was charming with Beavis and Butthead looks bad on KotH.

Groucho 02-17-04 08:03 AM

Originally posted by JestersTear
Simpsons: The show everyone compares a cartoon to. I hate to break it to you Simpson fanatics, but the show has jumped the shark. When the studio apologized for offending whatever country (Brazil?) with the tourism episode, that showed that the creators had lost their balls and were now afraid of the PC police.
There have been several jokes making fun of Brazil since then. It's become a bit of a running gag.

Snowmaker 02-17-04 08:12 AM

Shouldn't this be in TV Talk?

baracine 02-17-04 08:57 AM

Originally posted by JestersTear
When the studio apologized for offending whatever country (Brazil?) with the tourism episode, that showed that the creators had lost their balls and were now afraid of the PC police.
Brazil was so desperate for money they were suing the show for the value of its own gross natural product. "The Simpsons" had to do something.

baracine 02-17-04 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Snowmaker
Actually, no. Then it would be debated by TV-watchers. We movie lovers who hate "the Family Guy" don't like TV-watchers who identify themselves as such. It's a class thing.

baracine 02-17-04 09:49 AM

Originally posted by achau9598
I guess you never watched the episode "Brian Wallows and Peter Swallows", eh?
I didn't. Did you watch the Maury Pauvich episode titled: "My white trash parents watch 'Family Guy' all the time but they won't let me elope with my Nazi lesbian biker lover"?

Groucho 02-17-04 10:00 AM

baracine has convinced me. I now LOVE "Family Guy" just so I don't have to be associated with his rantings.

Kaffe_02 02-17-04 10:08 AM

I really enjoy the Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama and South Park. They each are funny in their own little way. As for the gamily guy any show that has Adam West has got to be good

Adrenaline 02-17-04 10:22 AM

I started watching Family Guy and Futurama on Adult Swim last summer. Watching those episodes got me to buy the DVDs, I think they're both good.

baracine 02-17-04 10:45 AM

Hey, maybe, it's a Canadian thing. See this CBC opinion piece on the degradation of women on American and Canadian television:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_binks/20031010.html

Moral: If your young son watches "The Family Guy" a lot, maybe it's time for a long talk.

msdmoney 02-17-04 10:53 AM

Every TV comedy worth its salt, every comedy, in fact, since the beginning of time usually makes an uplifting point of some kind, even if it might appear idiotic or absurd at first glance.

"The Family Guy"'s only point is : "Look, boobs, I made a funny! Oh, and we're all worthless pieces of trash wallowing in our own filth, by the way! And we sincerely hope our show has helped you while away the endless hours of your unjustifiable existence!"

It's a show for airheads who have self-worth issues. Britney Spears would consider it profound if it wasn't for the fact the cultural references fly right over her head.

Well I guess that makes me an airhead with self worth issues.

Look, people here are civily discussing the show for the most part. Get off your soapbox and join the discussion. Frankly, if thats your conclusion of the show then maybe you missed the point.

talemyn 02-17-04 11:19 AM

If anybody is interested, here is a "Family Guy Reference Database". If you scan through, you will find that liberally mixed throughout the "vulgar" references are a good number of references to classic films and other "cultural" items.

chemosh6969 02-17-04 11:26 AM

That's the most valid point I've read so far. ;)

To put it simply, if you don't like something baracine likes, you are stupid. All hail baracine!!!!!!

Groucho 02-17-04 11:32 AM

This just in: "The Family Guy" is a blatant rip-off of Dancing Technicolor Man:

http://incolor.inebraska.com/stuart/.../kikaida15.jpg

Red Dog 02-17-04 11:35 AM

Re: who here does not like THE FAMILY GUY

Originally posted by andromedas
i just watched this the first season of this series for the first time ever on dvd, never b4 on tv. i got all the jokes, and occasionally there are a few interesting gags and laughs.

but overall, it was just too stupid in my opinion.

am i in the minority here to not like this show?

i enjoy the simpsons, futurama, but the family guy is not my thing.

I feel the same exact way. I just don't get the love for Family Guy and I love most of modern prime-time animated shows: Simpsons (classic, S1-S9), Futurama and South Park.

Cocopugg 02-17-04 01:58 PM

Family Guy shouldn't be seen by kids. If I had kids, no way would I let them watch it. That being said, I consider myself a conservative, but not a prude. The show is funny, and since I'm older (43) than the average Family Guy viewer, I actually get most of the gag references to older shows. I find the humor funny for the most part, offensive occassionally (though still quite funny), and the characters very entertaining. Stewie steals the show, and Peter is simply white trash funny! Instead of claiming the show rips off the Simpsons, why hasn't anyone brought up "Married With Children"? There's alot of Al Bundy in Peter Griffin.

CP

DodgingCars 02-17-04 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
baracine has convinced me. I now LOVE "Family Guy" just so I don't have to be associated with his rantings.
Reminds me of:

"I hate non-smokers. I'd quit smoking if it didn't mean I'd become one of them."

:)

gbub 02-17-04 02:30 PM

Just an observation, but I find it interesting that in the other 3 shows Family Guy is compared to (Simpsons, Futurama, South Park), the most popular main character is also the most offensive/least PC character (Homer, Bender, Cartman).

I didn't include KotH because I don't watch/like it.

(edited because I couldn't find any solid evidence anywhere to back up my later claim)

RKillgore 02-17-04 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Snowmaker
Actually, no. Then it would be debated by TV-watchers. We movie lovers who hate "the Family Guy" don't like TV-watchers who identify themselves as such. It's a class thing.
I've heard of threadcraps, but an entire forum category-crap?

tenaciousdave 02-17-04 02:46 PM

Originally posted by illennium
That is practically a tautology. It applies to every show and does not disprove the claim that you can dislike the show and still get it.

Which would explain why, say, my mother would not like the show. It doesn't explain why I, as a fan of Strangers with Candy, Futurama, and to a lesser extent South Park, don't like it. You're going to have to come up with a more nuanced argument than simply that those who don't like Family Guy are easily offended prudes.

Thus far all you've shown is that while some of us may not like Family Guy, there are masses of people who do. I agree with that and appreciate the fact that people have different tastes. If it weren't for this fact, we would not enjoy the variety of entertainment that we do. None of this has anything to do with getting or not getting it. It's great that you enjoy the show, but don't let that mislead you into thinking that that is the superior position. Many people in this thread have already identified significant flaws in the show, most stemming from weak character development, so a crude get it/don't get it argument is a huge rhetorical step backward.

Touche salesman, touche...

I agree with most of what you say. My initial thought would be you're in the minority. Most everyone I know, my parents included, like Family Guy. After thinking about it some more, I would just have to say that some people like it and some don't. Who cares?

baracine 02-17-04 03:09 PM

Doesn't "The Family Guy" strangely remind you of that offensive, sexist sitcom of the dysfunctional near-future the bad guys and the victims alike are always watching in the film Robocop and that has "I'd buy that for a dollar!" as a punchline?