DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   who here does not like THE FAMILY GUY (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/347461-who-here-does-not-like-family-guy.html)

Sessa17 02-16-04 04:24 PM

Originally posted by gbub
Man, there's some pretty harsh criticism here. I'm surprised some of you can even stand watching TV at all.

I'm sure those that loathe this show will be amused to find out that the DVD sales have been so strong that, for the first time in history, the show is being un-cancelled and new episodes will be made based on the sales.

I haven't read one post where someone said they "loathe" the show. I don't hate the show, my contention with it, & many here seem to agree, is that there are people here saying that the show is "smart" when it truly is a dumb, very unintelligent show that relies most of it's humor on assuming the audience has watched mass amounts of TV programming.

Personally, I can't stand watching TV. I'm a movie fanatic & cannot for the life of me understand how people have so much time to watch television, especially those here that own so many DVDs.

chemosh6969 02-16-04 04:35 PM

Re: Re: who here does not like THE FAMILY GUY

Originally posted by Sessa17
The brilliance of the Simpsons is the heart of the show, the commentary on society, current events, family values.
Like the episode about how Homer is stupid because he has a crayon in his brain.

rexinnih 02-16-04 04:36 PM

I've only caught the show on DVD and what I've seen so far has been entertaining. The gags are fast and are quite hit or miss but I do love all the cultural references.
Now the big question, "So do they understand the baby or what?"

matome 02-16-04 04:43 PM

I much prefer <i>King of The Hill,</i> though I do own The Family Guy sets.

El-Kabong 02-16-04 05:13 PM

Originally posted by hogfat
Have you seen both shows? "When you get right down to it" Homer Simpson very strongly resembles the Fred Flintstone character. Further comparisons, would inevitably break down, as The Simpsons is about a single family unit/members of the community they live in, while The Flintstones is about two married couples (see The Honeymooners, recently Yes Dear).
Yeah, I have seen all shows in question. Thank you for asking.

And Family Guy is as close to the Simpsons as the Simpsons is to the Flintstones.

Of course with a homicidal super intelligent baby in the cast, Family Guy is closer to Pinky and the Brain than the Simpsons. (Lisa is intelligent, but she's not invent a "Hypnotic-Mind-Control-Death-Ray-From-A-Cap-Gun" smart).

illennium 02-16-04 05:59 PM

Although I don't like it, others are entitled to like Family Guy, or any other show. But if you say that the show is "too intelligent" for some or that those who don't like it must not "get it," then you should bring whatever measures of intelligence you can muster--resumes, test scores, diplomas, publications, job positions, life accomplishments--so you and I can go toe-to-toe and see if your theory holds any water. Seriously, you should be able to enjoy a show (or anything else, for that matter) without needing to delude yourself that others would have to be stupid not to share your tastes.

fumanstan 02-16-04 06:09 PM

I enjoy Family Guy (and just got Vol 1) and quite frankly, i enjoy it for what it is... stupid random humor. I don't really see anything particularly "intelligent" about it that seperates it from The Simpsons (which i feel is less 'risque' but more clever)

baracine 02-16-04 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
I haven't read one post where someone said they "loathe" the show.
OK, read my lips: I LOATHE THAT SHOW!

I considered it appalling and unholy in its first incarnation. Now that I've heard it's going to come back, I have to live with the notion that it can also raise from the dead!http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/i...ies/Scared.gif

RyoHazuki 02-16-04 06:20 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
I enjoy Family Guy (and just got Vol 1) and quite frankly, i enjoy it for what it is... stupid random humor. I don't really see anything particularly "intelligent" about it that seperates it from The Simpsons (which i feel is less 'risque' but more clever)
I agree. I think people mistake pop culture knowledge as intelligence. Simpsons is a much "smarter" show than this.

JonTurner 02-16-04 06:40 PM

I tried, but was never able to get into The Simpsons, Family Guy, or Futurama at all... the humor always seemed either way too obvious to me, or just so off the wall that the only thing funny was its randomness.

That said, I love South Park (though of course there are some duds), and I'll watch King of the Hill once in a while... nothing great, but I certainly prefer it to FG, Simpsons, or Futurama.

talemyn 02-16-04 06:49 PM

Originally posted by baracine
OK, read my lips: I LOATHE THAT SHOW!

I considered it appalling and unholy in its first incarnation. Now that I've heard it's going to come back, I have to live with the notion that it can also raise from the dead!http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/i...ies/Scared.gif

Alright . . . watch it . . . you keep badmouthing Family Guy like that and I'll revoke your right to use my "scared" smiley . . .

;)

Cocopugg 02-16-04 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Fed-Ex Pope
I don't understand why some poeple say it's a Simpsons rip-off...
Family Guy is alot funnier than any of the Simpsons are today. In fact, the Simpsons may have only a few episodes that I've really belly laughed at, and yet, every episode of Family Guy makes me laugh with hysterics. I agree that alot of the humor on Family Guy is hit or miss, but when it hits, it hits alot harder than Simpsons ever did. Bottom line. If you want a more coherent story, watch the Simpsons, but if you want the bigger outburst laugh, watch Family Guy. At least that rule works for me.

CP

milo bloom 02-16-04 08:53 PM

Cocopugg's post about sums it up for me. I've never thought about it, but I guess I really don't mind not caring for the characters in Family Guy. The jokes are so hard and heavy that they can carry the show. I do care about the Simpson's characters, and Futurama's even more (Frye's pining for Leela is almost heartbreaking at times), but sometimes they can be just a little boring.

King of the Hill, I liked at first, but it quickly became just too bland. I'm with the guy that can't believe the creator of B&B and Office Space came up with this.

Loved Clerks and The Critic also, but I never understood Kevin Smith's hatred of FG in the DVD commentaries.

StealThisCoupon 02-16-04 09:47 PM

I think Family Guy was best in small doses. I used to like it when it was on Fox, however, I think I only saw about one episiode per month on average at the most since it was pre-empted by football so often.

I was excited when the DVD sets came out and I ran out and bought Vol 1 and Vol 2 for $30 each, but by the time I was halfway through Vol 1, I was pretty well sick of the show. I watched all of both volumes and I may even watch both of them once more, but I think that both Vols are going to end up in my sell/trade pile.

I think part of the problem is that the writers were much more concerned with what they could get past the censors on TV and with being edgy instead of trying to be funny. I think they probably spent about 90% or more of their time trying to be edgy and trying to figure out what they could get by the censors, and perhaps 10% of their time actually writing jokes. Also, the characters are paper thin and most of them have really grating voices (although I do like Stewie's voice). The Family Guy universe is also quite small, most of the jokes are simply references to old TV shows or to minor TV celebrities, with an occassional movie reference. Also, this show is from the "Airplane" school of comedy(but not nearly as funny) where they just throw a million jokes at you and most of them don't stick. I also felt that many episodes were more revolting than funny, although I did get at least a few laughs from every episiode.

I think that many of the people who actually bought the DVDs felt the same way that I did about the show after watching Vol 1, since sales from Vol 1 were nearly one million, but Vol 2 only sold 520,000 copies(these numbers are from a few months ago.) Now, it's true that Vol one was a much better deal with 28 episodes and Vol 2 only had 22 episodes, but I think a lot of people watched Vol 1 and got sick of the show and never bothered to buy Vol 2 because of it. Vol 2 even has a previously unaired episode and still only sold about half as well as Vol 1. Also, by buying Vol 2 you get the complete Family Guy, so I would think that the vast majority of people who really liked Vol 1 would also buy Vol 2. I wouldn't have bothered buying Vol 2 if I had watched Vol 1 first. Unfortunately, I bought both Vols at the same time and didn't watch either of them until after it was too late to return Vol 2.

I just hope that the writers spend more time on writing decent jokes and less time trying to be as edgy and shocking as the TV censors will allow when they write episodes for the new Family Guy. Also, they need more Stewie. He's the best and by far the funniest character on the show IMO. The dog is OK also, but I was annoyed by, or simply completely indifferent to the other characters.

I suppose I should add that I like The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and The Tick among other cartoons.

DodgingCars 02-16-04 09:52 PM

I'm surprised so many hate the show. I never watched it when it was on, but some some episodes a coworker had downloaded and burned on CD. When the DVD came out I bought Vol. 1. I like the show, but have no real desire to buy the other volumes.

EPKJ 02-16-04 10:00 PM

Thank you for starting this thread. There is no way I could have have lived another moment without expressing my utter contempt for this show.

And yet, when it comes to defining exactly what irritates me about it, I'm at a loss.

Is it the endlessly recycled "jokes" that have a pedigree reaching to XIXth Century vaudeville all the way to the forced hilarity of "Laugh-In" by way of the souped-up canned laughter of "My Mother the Car"?

Is it the simpering idiocy of all the characters, somewhat balanced by the gratuitous and soul-destoying vileness of the precocious infant?

Is it the show's profoundly superficial "grasp" of everything mundane and ephemeral?

Is it the derivative premise that all the characters are basically worthless whores, who know the price of everything and the value of nothing, perpetually wearing a "for sale" sign around their necks and ready to turn against each other, with absolutely no redeeming human traits or "soul" but endlessly malleable through a typhoon of unnecessary cultural references that smell of stale urine, vomit and baby formula?

I have tried to encapsulate its very peculiar repulsiveness in the word "vulgar" but that didn't really work for me. After all, "Married with Children" was vulgar. "South Park" is vulgar. Both shows are extremely good. I guess "The Family Guy" is not bright enough to be vulgar. It's just something that happens to stick to your shoes on a sidewalk and that manages to be simultaneously dirty, unhygienic, annoying and colourful.

Is it the lack of reference to any world or cultural life beyond TV reality?

It is the lack of range of the grating voices as well as that of the characters? Their manic nasality?

Is it the lack of artistic style, flair and originality? The cheapo production values?

Is it because really meritorious shows like "Futurama" and "The Tick" got cancelled long before this abomination? That's a big part of it, yes!

But who really knows in the final analysis? I don't want to know. Do you really want to know?

Futurama ran 72 episodes, which is 22 more than Family Guy. Family Guy was also cancelled before Futurama. So, I don't see how that could be a big part of anything.

EPKJ 02-16-04 10:03 PM

That's the word I was looking for: offensive! Too many people are afraid to admit that they are offended when they are. "The Family Guy" is offensive because it supposes that the viewers are just as much a bunch of worthless desperate media-whores as the characters on the show and willing to sit through any humiliation in order to be "entertained".
Well, I am not offended by Family Guy. But, apparantly you are. So, could you cite specific examples of what offends you? Your generalized, out of context statement is not informative at all.

tenaciousdave 02-16-04 10:17 PM

The family guy is a great show. The humor in it is very offensive, random, over the top, and I love that. I am in hysterics during a good chunk of episodes.

I enjoyed the first several years of the Simpsons, and I watched it twice a day for the longest time. I must say that it seems that alot of the people here think it "the Citizen Kain" of animated shows. Remember the episode where Homer became a boxer? He could take insane amounts of punishment because his brain was covered in a fat shield. While it can be intelligent and insightful at times, it also had crude and offensive parts as well.

I'm not going to say that the Family Guy is more intelligent than the Simpsons, but it was damn funny for people with a sick sense of humor. Yes, I admit it, a good kick to the crotch puts a smile on my face. Does that make me a bad person? Yes, it does, but that's not the point.

I really think the "if you don't like it, you don't get it." argument stands. If you don't like it, your not in the target audience. The show wasn't made for "Mom and Dad family hour". While you may not find it funny, there are masses of people who "get it".

The Family Guy family doesn't resemble the Simpson's Family at all either. Homer (stupid dad), Marge (mom), Bart (trouble maker son), Lisa (brainer daughter), Maggie (non talking baby) vs Peter (stupid dad), Lois (mom), Chris (dumb son), Meg (whiney daughter), Stewie (evil, talking, genius, gay baby), and Brian (talking dog). Aside from them both being human with dumb fathers, I don't see a "carbon copy" by any means.

ArchibaldTuttle 02-16-04 10:54 PM

I love the show, I find it extremely entertaining, and extremely rewatchable, and thats all you can ask for

also... everything is inherently a rip off of something else (especially in the entertainment industry), get off your simpsons high horse

baracine 02-16-04 11:08 PM

Originally posted by EPKJ
Futurama ran 72 episodes, which is 22 more than Family Guy. Family Guy was also cancelled before Futurama. So, I don't see how that could be a big part of anything.
Yeah, but you have to take into account that every episode of "The Family Guy" feels a lot longer than any "Futurama" episode.

caiman 02-16-04 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I don't like it, but I've always been surprised by the show's fans who won't admit that it's a blatant rip-off of "The Simpsons."
I'm a huge Family Guy fan, yet I'll be the first to say that the show is indeed a ripoff of The Simpsons, but since the show is some of the funniest shit I've ever seen, I can't hold that fact against it.

illennium 02-16-04 11:16 PM

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
I really think the "if you don't like it, you don't get it." argument stands. If you don't like it, your not in the target audience.
That is practically a tautology. It applies to every show and does not disprove the claim that you can dislike the show and still get it.

The show wasn't made for "Mom and Dad family hour".
Which would explain why, say, my mother would not like the show. It doesn't explain why I, as a fan of Strangers with Candy, Futurama, and to a lesser extent South Park, don't like it. You're going to have to come up with a more nuanced argument than simply that those who don't like Family Guy are easily offended prudes.

While you may not find it funny, there are masses of people who "get it".
Thus far all you've shown is that while some of us may not like Family Guy, there are masses of people who do. I agree with that and appreciate the fact that people have different tastes. If it weren't for this fact, we would not enjoy the variety of entertainment that we do. None of this has anything to do with getting or not getting it. It's great that you enjoy the show, but don't let that mislead you into thinking that that is the superior position. Many people in this thread have already identified significant flaws in the show, most stemming from weak character development, so a crude get it/don't get it argument is a huge rhetorical step backward.

ScottyWH 02-16-04 11:30 PM

I love family guy.. couldn't stand it when it was airing and I hate futurama.. but I do like simpsons and south park... go figure

cfloyd3 02-16-04 11:36 PM

I love the random humor on the Family Guy, I watch it all the time. Although I will say the sister and the son are annoying mostly. The show is Stewie and Brian.

I personally cannot stand Futurama at all, rarely has any worthwhile jokes.

People can have their opinions though, I just don't see how you cannot like Family Guy.

tek2k 02-17-04 01:03 AM

That's the word I was looking for: offensive! Too many people are afraid to admit that they are offended when they are. "The Family Guy" is offensive because it supposes that the viewers are just as much a bunch of worthless desperate media-whores as the characters on the show and willing to sit through any humiliation in order to be "entertained".
lol, after that HUGE paragraph filled with "big words" you can't even remember the word offensive. hilarious! that's what happens when you put too much effort into something that is just a waste of time to others. you don't like family guy. that's ok. move on. thanks.