Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

who here does not like THE FAMILY GUY

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who here does not like THE FAMILY GUY

i just watched this the first season of this series for the first time ever on dvd, never b4 on tv. i got all the jokes, and occasionally there are a few interesting gags and laughs.

but overall, it was just too stupid in my opinion.

am i in the minority here to not like this show?

i enjoy the simpsons, futurama, but the family guy is not my thing. will ebay this set asap.

andro
Old 02-16-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

am i in the minority here to not like this show?
No, because my vote counts for 800 million people, such is the depth of my hatred for this show.
Old 02-16-04, 04:24 AM

Hey! We must be in Tiananmen...because I see a SQUARE.
Old 02-16-04, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-10 points for using "b4" instead of acutally spelling Before.

I didn't care to much for family guy when it was on fox. I loved futurama. I still do, but my concern was on that. Catching family guy on adult swim, I started to enjoy it a little. The hit and miss ratio on the jokes is really large with family guy. It seemed like they tried to hard at times by throwing anything and everything at you in hopes that you would get a laugh out of something.

I can't say that I hate the show. I just don't like it as much as other shows, namely Futurama. I'll catch it on tv if it's on but I wouldn't buy the dvd.
Old 02-16-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don’t like the show all to much either. I love Futurama and watch it every chance I get though. And the Simpsons I really don’t care for much either. I enjoy the show, but I can easily get up and walk away from any episode and never look back. Whereas a friend of mine could be bleeding from an artery and wont take his eyes off the screen for The Simpsons or Family Guy.
Old 02-16-04, 06:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't like it, but I've always been surprised by the show's fans who won't admit that it's a blatant rip-off of "The Simpsons."
Old 02-16-04, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
The reason I don't like Family Guy is beacuse there is nothing to any of the main charcters. They are only there to make or react to the jokes. There is no consistency or depth to anyone. None of the jokes come naturally out of the Griffens, the jokes would work just as well in any other show. The strength of your characters is what makes or breaks any TV show. The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill ect all have real characters. The people in Family Guy are just props to parody movies and Tv shows.
Old 02-16-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The people in Family Guy are just props to parody movies and Tv shows.
And that is why I love The Family Guy. Non-stop humor
Old 02-16-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
For the record I am a big fan of The Simpsons.

When Family Guy first aired I never watched it because the commercials made it look like a hasty clone of The Simpsons, and it just didn't look all that funny. But I was wrong, I guess.

After watching the season one DVD set (I received it as a review copy) all I could think was "how could I not have watched this?"

For me, the show is incredibly funny.
Old 02-16-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't like this show either. It's a Simpsons rip-off with weak juvenile humor, and I already loathe The Simpsons as is. I think Jack has it down, they really try too hard to deliver, and the hit/miss ratio is high.
Old 02-16-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I love this show more than I love taffy, and I'm a man who loves his taffy.
Old 02-16-04, 08:46 AM

I don't understand why some poeple say it's a Simpsons rip-off...Yeah, they are both sitcoms with a stupid father figure, but that could be said of hundreds of shows.

The parodies of T.V and movies? The Simpsons have been on a long time, but Matt Groening didn't invent parody. (and honestly I think Family Guy did it better)

If anything, the show could be better compared to "Clerks" (animated) which I guess made Kevin Smith feel insecure, which is why he felt the need to take shots at Family Guy in the show and on the DVD commentaries...

Maybe people are just generalizing any animated sitcom as a Simpsons clone, I don't know. I have seen every episode on the Family Guy DVD sets several times. I have seen the majority of the Simpsons shows (up until the last 4 years, actually) and I really just don't see the connection...

Last edited by Fed-Ex Pope; 02-16-04 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-16-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fed-Ex Pope
I don't understand why some poeple say it's a Simpsons rip-off...Yeah, they are both sitcoms with a stupid father figure, but that could be said of hundreds of shows.
People compare it because the style of humor and the way they (try to) deliver the jokes are HIGHLY similar.
Old 02-16-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts
Can't like a show I've never seen.
Old 02-16-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
[Mr. Horse]No sir, I don't like it.[/Mr. Horse]

don't much care for Futurama either...Simpsons is of course brilliantly original that set the standard, but none others have captured my attention from the numerous fox tries. King of the Hill is amusing, but nothing I seek to watch.
Old 02-16-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that there is room for both The Simpson and Family Guy on TV. I, personally, can't get enough of cultural references , so the combination of the two shows is great. Plus, I think Stewie brings something that no other show has had before . . . he makes the show for me. You just can't beat a paranoid, genius, matricidal infant. Good stuff! x 2

So, on a related note, is it considered a threadcrap to come in to a "do not like" thread and say that you like it?
Old 02-16-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The main problem with Family Guy is that the writers and voice actors clearly feel nothing for the characters. Shows like The Simpsons and Malcolm in the Middle manage to be dark, funny, and cynical while ultimately demonstrating a great deal of love and compassion for their characters. Family Guy, on the other hand, lacks any heart toward the Griffins. This is indicative of a weak premise and no doubt contributed to the failure of the show.
Old 02-16-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate The Family Guy, The Simpsons and Futurama. I however, love King of the Hill.
Go figure.
Old 02-16-04, 10:47 AM

I really like Family Guy... I still like shows like Simpsons, Futurama and The Critic slightly better. But IMO Family Guy is 100 times better than South Park. South Park has no rewatchablity to me... the jokes are not funny on second viewing whereas all the other animated shows (ie Simpsons, Futurama, Critic, King of the Hill and Family Guy) have much more depth and you can catch other jokes you missed during the second viewing.
Old 02-16-04, 10:50 AM

South Park is a little different because it's a topical show. As in "the last few days" topical. But I still find it rewatchable, even though there's a lot less hidden/subtle humor.
Old 02-16-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The reason I don't like Family Guy is beacuse there is nothing to any of the main charcters. They are only there to make or react to the jokes. There is no consistency or depth to anyone. None of the jokes come naturally out of the Griffens, the jokes would work just as well in any other show. The strength of your characters is what makes or breaks any TV show. The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill ect all have real characters. The people in Family Guy are just props to parody movies and Tv shows.

I am biased because I love this show, but... let me ask you this:

If the characters of the show aren't making, or reacting to jokes, what the hell else are they supposed to be doing? It's a comedy, not General Hospital. A lot of jokes on a LOT of shows could work well on any other show! It's not The Simpsons where they've been around for 15 seasons and can start ripping apart their own comedy from prior episodes...
Old 02-16-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Family Guy" is really hit and miss, but I think it has a higher humor ratio than "Futurama". Then again, I like the premise and characters of "Futurama" a lot more than "Family Guy".

I haven't watched "South Park" beyond the first two seasons, but it was okay. The movie was great. But "King of the Hill" has all those shows beat. Very consistent comedy.

But really, none of those shows can top "The Simpsons", to which I admit I'm slightly addicted (I've only missed a handful of episodes since the Tracey Ullman days).
Old 02-16-04, 11:19 AM

Comedies can be either "Character Driven" or "Joke Driven."

In a "Joke Driven" comedy, the characters only exist to deliver the jokes. They tend to be one-dimensional, have little or no consistancy, and do things only to service the humor. For example, Airplane!

In a "Character Driven" comedy, the jokes come from the natural interaction of the characters, who are more three-dimensional and consistant. They may even experience a serious moment every now and then. For example, Annie Hall.

Of the shows mentioned in this thread so far, Family Guy is the most "Joke Driven." King of the Hill is the most "Character Driven." The other shows fall somewhere in the middle.
Old 02-16-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
I never warmed up to Family Guy much when it was on, but the DVDs have given me a new appreciation of it.

I sometimes think I'm in a minority because I can't stand King of the Hill. I just can't believe that the creator of Beavis & Butthead and Office Space would come up with something this lame.
Old 02-16-04, 11:53 AM

On first inspection, Family Guy does appear to be a clone of the Simpsons. The family is set up exactly the same, but being a fan of both shows, I think the humor is really different, and I personally prefer the Family Guy. Obviously not everyone likes Family Guy, but to say you don't like it because it's a clone of the Simpsons is unfair.

I really didn't get into Family Guy until further into the season. In hindsite, the first few episodes I feel are a little weaker. I fell in love with Family Guy after the episode in which Peter sings Land of the Lost for an audition. The show strongly references late 70s , early 80s pop culture which I grew up during so a lot of the jokes are a trip down memory lane.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.