Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Ellen Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
The Ellen Show

Off from work today and watching this. The show is almost surreal.

No doubt Ellen is a sharp cookie, but the experience is really strange- there is a sappho-erotic thing going on which is hard to quantify. Every time Ellen makes a comment about a woman or has an attractive female guest the audience a hush comes over the audience. I guess this is the price you pay when you make sexuality such a huge part of your identity.

Ah, Brooke Shields is on. Perfect.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-05-04 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-05-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is a great show. Ellen is a very smart comedian. And it's not like she runs around the audience hitting on women the entire time. I think you might be looking into things a little too deeply. I've never heard any kind of 'hush' go over the audience. Unless they are clapping or cheering, they're gonna be quiet during the show.
Old 02-05-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This show is the only one of its type that I watch with any regularity. Ellen is very funny and smart, but most importantly, she's likable. Her interviewing skills are fine but this is a daytime talk show, it's going to be mostly fluff.
Old 02-05-04, 12:04 PM
Banned

She is funny, no doubt about that. Very quick.

There was one other show I caught a few months ago and she kept on saying how "hot" an actress was, I think she was talking about Angela Jolie or someone (I agree there), but there was definitely a reaction by the audience.

Maybe I am making too much of it, but hell, I have to get my jollies somehow.
Old 02-05-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, she's a lesbian. Therefore, she's attracted to women. At least, I think that's how it works.
Old 02-05-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen her being sexual towards any of the women. In fact, the show is so asexual that it feels weird sometimes. I think Ellen is avoiding any and all things sappho but since everyone knows it's there, it seems strange.

When she interviews a hot actress, you know there should be some awkward tension but since there isn't any, it feels even more awkward. Does that make sense?

When Conan, Kimmel, Leno, or Letterman are attracted to a woman it's noticable and fun but with Ellen's lack of flirtyness, something seems missing.

D
Old 02-05-04, 03:51 PM
Banned

And maybe that's what I'm and the audience is sensing. It is a tenuous thing.
Old 02-05-04, 04:02 PM

This thread is a surprise. I rarely, if ever, consider Ellen's sexuality while watching this show. If Eric F's reaction is a popular one, it just goes to show that Ellen just can't win with some people.
Old 02-05-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think his opinion is a popular one. Since the show started, i haven't heard a single person, friend or otherwise, mention that she's a lesbian. Everyone knows, end of story. It doesn't matter.

She's a hilarious person, that's what matters.
Old 02-05-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Ellen Show

Originally posted by Eric F

Ah, Brooke Shields is on. Perfect.
How did Brookie look?

She's a long time fave of mine.
Old 02-05-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just think it's a wonderful talk show. She's funny, she's quick witted, the questions she asks are always good, and it seems like all her guests like spending time with her. It's refreshing.
Old 02-05-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by TwineTime
This thread is a surprise. I rarely, if ever, consider Ellen's sexuality while watching this show. If Eric F's reaction is a popular one, it just goes to show that Ellen just can't win with some people.
Exactly. I am especially surprised by this comment: "Every time Ellen makes a comment about a woman or has an attractive female guest the audience a hush comes over the audience. I guess this is the price you pay when you make sexuality such a huge part of your identity". Huh!? I Tivo this show and not once has this happened. There is no sapphire erotic vibe going on here. And not once has Ellen ever talked about being gay. Nor has there been any mention of a girlfriend. What a bizarre observation Eric. She's so tame (and yes, asexual), anyone can watch this and not get offended. And viewers of the show range from small children to seniors.
Old 02-06-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched a few episodes too and never picked up any Lesbian erotic vibe going on either. Rosie O'Donnell didn't either although her flirtations were for men. Go figure.

I love Ellen's dance segment.
Old 02-06-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
I don't think his opinion is a popular one. Since the show started, i haven't heard a single person, friend or otherwise, mention that she's a lesbian. Everyone knows, end of story. It doesn't matter.

She's a hilarious person, that's what matters.
Agreed. I caught her special on HBO last summer and thought it was hilarious and very refreshing. She's definitely someone I would love to go have a few beers with.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 02-06-04 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-06-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The wife and I watch this when nothing is on at 9 pm. We get a kick out her. I've always known she was funny, but she hasn't had a chance to shine like this in years.

Her interview w/ Mandy Moore a few weeks ago was great - they were riding around on a couple of lawn tractors and racing each other around in a yard.

She really does have great rapport w/ her guests. And she is so damn witty, too.

There is nothing offensive about this show - unless one is completely ignorant and doesn't get what she is alluding to.
Old 02-07-04, 09:55 PM

I just saw this show for the first time a few days ago and I am already hooked! Ellen is hilarious and very quick - the style of the show is more like Merv Griffin or Mike Douglas when not every guest seems to be plugging the latest movie. I didn't notice the sexuality stuff either, and the interview I saw was with Katey Segal (ex-Peg Bundy).
Old 02-07-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
God, I wish Vic Tayback were still alive. He'd be a great guest on Ellen's show!
Old 02-08-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
God, I wish Vic Tayback were still alive. He'd be a great guest on Ellen's show!