Enterprise. It's dead(?), Jim.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise. It's dead(?), Jim.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 06:17 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 616 Likes on 352 Posts
I thought he was going to talk about B5.
Old 12-11-03, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think what any television show needs to stay fresh and entertaining is to have good writing, directing, etc. It needs to be a story telling vehicle, not a lets look at these cool special effects and boobies show. When the story telling is the focus, the fans win.
Old 12-11-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cancel all Trek shows and future plans for shows and just bring back Space 1999 to the airwaves. We are due for a "next gen" type of series for that show anyway! A Buck Rogers revamp would also be great.
Old 12-11-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Lets hope that Paramount is watching a certain other science fiction franchise in the process of being reborn now.
I thought he was going to talk about my poker career.

Originally posted by TracerBullet
I think what most people have been missing is that Enterprise isn't just bad Trek, it's bad TV. I don't dislike the show because it's not my sort of Trek. I dislike it because it's just not any good.
Old 12-11-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 119 Posts
Random observations:

Paramount wants to keep Enterprise on the air for one more year so that the syndication package has 100 episodes. This seems like a very cynical reason to keep the show on the air.

I didn't appreciate DS9 as much then as I do now. Enterprise and Voyager have enhanced the legacy of DS9!

UPN has FIVE shows rated higher than Enterprise??? Aside from wrestling the only other show on UPN I've heard of is Jake 2.0.

I rarely disagree with Wizdar, but I believe that TOS does hold up. Especially the first 2 seasons when the writing was the strongest. The City on the Edge of Forever for example presented Captain Kirk with the most compelling moral dilemma in TV history. Save the world or save a woman he was in love with.
Old 12-11-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Damfino
UPN has FIVE shows rated higher than Enterprise??? Aside from wrestling the only other show on UPN I've heard of is Jake 2.0.
WWE Smackdown
Girlfriends
Eve
Half & Half
All of Us

Jake 2.0 only has one (former) UPN series ranked lower: The Mullets.
Old 12-11-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can honestly say that I have not even heard of any of those shows (other than WWE).
Old 12-11-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
WWE Smackdown
Girlfriends
Eve
Half & Half
All of Us

Jake 2.0 only has one (former) UPN series ranked lower: The Mullets.
OK, I have heard of the Mullets because of the Joe Schmoe connection, but I haven't heard of the others.

The only reason I know of Jake 2.0 is because it's on after Enterprise.
Old 12-11-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Sorry, TOS is like TESB. Both accuse fanboys of rose-tinted favoritism. But I've given both franchises a break in the past, then gone back and watched some of the old and some of the new... and TOS is better and TESB is better.

I've been thinking this for years, and I can't fathom why nobody at the studios ever thinks of this, why stretch it out to 26 episodes just to syndicate it? I see the animated Clerks series on all the time and it only has six! episodes. The point is, make 4-8 episode "mini-series" with one storyline. You don't even have to keep the same crew, mix it up some. If they need more episodes, have varying crews working simultaneously on different projects.
My thinking is they keep making episodes just to fill a quota, and then you end up with a lot of crap. Voyager is very good example of this as there are several damn!_fine episodes of Voyager, a few pretty good ones, but a lot of bad ones. If they made just the good ones and the great ones, there would be fewer episodes, the but the ones that you had would have a higher level of quality.
Old 12-11-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I just finally caught up with the last 5 shows that I had recorded. I really enjoyed them. In fact, I enjoyed them so much that I worried that if I watched them all, I wouldn't have any more to watch for awhile.

I remember my early resentment towards TNG because it wasn't TOS. I remember my early resentment towards DS9 because it wasn't TNG and was basically "Mall in Space". It took a year for TNG and then I was hooked. It took a few seasons for DS9, but I got hooked. Voyager still isn't my cup of tea, but I will probably buy the sets just to watch half of them for the first time.

The first season of Enterprise had me worried, but I still enjoyed it. Now, I can't wait for more episodes, and I hope they don't pull the plug. I thought at one time they should with DS9, and now I couldn't imagine not have the last few seasons. I remain hopeful that this will be similar for Enterprise.

Also, Enterprise has as much competition as any Trek series has ever had, and the lower numbers don't suprise me much, but I do expect them to increase with the episodes getting noticable better.

I was going to start a thread asking why so many don't like it, and I still don't understand it. I would rather watch it than most all of the other Sci-Fi crap that we are presented with.
Old 12-11-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kvrdave
I was going to start a thread asking why so many don't like it, and I still don't understand it. I would rather watch it than most all of the other Sci-Fi crap that we are presented with.
I thought a lot of people explained their dislike pretty well:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=327750
Old 12-11-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure what the Trekkies were expecting, but like another member here, this is the only Trek series I've consistently watched and enjoyed. The more into the future the series got, the more stiff the acting was. Enterprise takes place during a time when, perhaps, sex appeal was still a big part of human existence and the characters also show more liveliness than in other Treks. I was skeptical of Bakula pulling off the captain role, even though I like his an an actor, but I've bought into it an accept it. And since I haven't seen every episode of every Trek ever made (and can't name it by episode and who played what actor and every show's subpolt, etc.), the storylines aren't rehashes for me.

Some people here take things too seriously. For God sakes, people, get a life. It's just a TV show.
Old 12-12-03, 06:50 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 616 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally posted by SleepyW
Some people here take things too seriously. For God sakes, people, get a life. It's just a TV show.

Old 12-12-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
I thought a lot of people explained their dislike pretty well:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=327750
They did. And I still don't understand it
Old 12-13-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't like it because it's a bad generic spaceship show.

It's like compairing Voyager's first 3 years with it's last four. The first three years, compaired to all Trek shows that came before it, are pretty bad, but I don't really ever diss them because I could see they were trying to make a good show. When you get to the last four years, however, you can see they're just trying to make a dumbed down base marketed generic spaceship show.
Old 12-13-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
I don't like it because it's a bad generic spaceship show.
And now that they’re extending the demise just so they can make the magic 100, you can bet the writers will be motivated to do their best work.
Old 12-13-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
many also bash an episode without even seeing it

Originally posted by maxpower
In my opinion ...it seems the majority of the naysayers and bashers are living in that world where the past is all roses and candy. I'm sure most have experienced that forlorn look at the past, however these trek "fans" take it to a new level.

I've watched the original series and >blasphemy< it's nothing to write home about.

However I realize the power of the first love...rose-tinted glasses etc.

I especially love the arguments of been there done that...I'm sorry but the orignial series was not coming up with sliced bread each episode.
Old 01-19-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Another possible death knell?
Old 01-19-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
I wanted to like this show, I really did. But man does it suck.
Old 01-19-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
I can't picture too many other networks that would actually want it.

Maybe Sci-Fi could pick it up. Then it could be canceled twice.
Old 01-19-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"To another network" That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I'm not even sure the assclowns at Sci-Fi are stupid enough to pick up this sinking shit ... er, ship.

das
Old 01-19-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK your parent company doesn' want you. Time to give up.
Old 01-20-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They put the "hammer" down on Jake?

Hmmm...
Old 01-20-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,449 Likes on 985 Posts
i hope they haven't axed it. it's gotten better this season.
Old 01-20-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you spray a turd with air freshener, it'll smell better, too, yes?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.