Reload this Page >

Oprah Winfrey vs. David Letterman

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-09-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I heard on the radio that in a recent interview with Oprah Winfrey, Oprah was asked why she avoids David Letterman. She stated that she had actually been on his show twice (something I did not realize), and that she was the butt of all his jokes so she would never allow herself to be put in that position ever again. Anyone know specifically what was said to her?

(Please don't tell me she is counting Dave's "Oprah... Uma." Oscar night routine!)
Old 12-09-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oprah Boycotts Dave: Despite repeated on-air pleas, David Letterman probably won't be guesting on The Oprah Winfrey Show anytime soon. Or vice versa. Winfrey tells Time magazine that during her previous two appearances on Letterman's Late Show she was "sort of like the butt of his jokes. I felt completely uncomfortable sitting in that chair, and I vowed I would not ever put myself in that position again." I'm sure that whole "Uma, Oprah" debacle didn't help either.

HERE's the original article..

David Letterman says you won't come on his show. Are you snubbing him? No, I'm not. I've done the show twice. Both times I was sort of like the butt of his jokes. I felt completely uncomfortable sitting in that chair, and I vowed I would not ever put myself in that position again. But I have a great deal of respect for his talent, and I sent him what I think is the best baby gift I ever gave. It was a tub of children's books.
Old 12-09-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I've seen other instances where a celebrity takes Dave's good-natured joking waaaaay too seriously.

Sharon Stone comes to mind. I remember she was on the show, and was having trouble saying something, so she exclaims something to the effect, "I can take my clothes off, but I can't pronounce a sentence!" Dave then looks at the audience and says, "Isn't it good when someone can call a spade a spade?" I just saw it as Sharon setting up a self-deprecating joke, and Dave supplying a punchline.

I may be paraphrasing what happened, but I heard later how upset she was that Dave said that. I believe there was another appearance afterwards where she said she was so uncomfortable, she would rather have a root canal.

So I wonder if Oprah's greivances against Dave are the result of suddenly losing a sense of humor?
Old 12-09-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I never really think of comedy when i think of oprah.
Old 12-09-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rennervision
I've seen other instances where a celebrity takes Dave's good-natured joking waaaaay too seriously.

Sharon Stone comes to mind. I remember she was on the show, and was having trouble saying something, so she exclaims something to the effect, "I can take my clothes off, but I can't pronounce a sentence!" Dave then looks at the audience and says, "Isn't it good when someone can call a spade a spade?" I just saw it as Sharon setting up a self-deprecating joke, and Dave supplying a punchline.

I may be paraphrasing what happened, but I heard later how upset she was that Dave said that. I believe there was another appearance afterwards where she said she was so uncomfortable, she would rather have a root canal.

So I wonder if Oprah's greivances against Dave are the result of suddenly losing a sense of humor?
I think you are exactly right. Sharon Stone was on Dave's shows recently and he brought up that she hadn't been on in like 8 years and did he do something that pissed her off. She said that he did and it does seem like some celebrities REALLY get sensitive if they don't get presented exactly they way the want to be presented. I wouldn't want that kind of person on my show, but, while he's still my favorite, Dave's much more mellow now. You don't get a pass or an ass-kiss like on Jay, but he goes out of his way know to make the guests happy. But the jokes still present themselves sometimes and he usually goes for them.

Dave mentioned on the air that he was VERY happy to have gotten a gift from Oprah for the birth of his son. I think it was an entire bath tub filled with toys. I think maybe Oprah is mellowing a bit too and I would expect to see Dave on her show one day. He doesn't do anything like that and, at some point, she'll want that interview. It would be fun to see him on HER show.
Old 12-09-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 284 Likes on 226 Posts
Didn't Dave make Cindy Crawford cry? Lol.
Old 12-09-03, 08:53 PM

Re: Oprah Winfrey vs. David Letterman

Originally posted by rennervision
She stated that she had actually been on his show twice (something I did not realize)
I didn't know that either. I watch David once and while, but dang, the man is always teasing the woman. Teasing here why she doesn't have him on her show and that Dr. Phil and Oprah were married or something., lol.
Old 12-09-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Didn't he piss off Cher really bad too? I remember her calling him a$$hole, but i'm not sure what for
Old 12-09-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Joeboo835
Didn't he piss off Cher really bad too? I remember her calling him a$$hole, but i'm not sure what for
Cher is a nut, but they made up a long time ago. I mean, it was over a decade ago that he brought Sonny and Cher together on his show and got them to sing "I got you babe."

I don't know if they ever performed again and considering how he died, she certainly has to cherish that memory.
Old 12-09-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Letterman used to really piss people off on the old NBC show.

He's lightened up a bit because it was more than a few that wouldn't do his show.

You can't really have it both way, either you suck up to everyone or your edgy and say what you want.
Old 12-09-03, 10:12 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Best thing about Letterman? He treats game-show losers like game-show losers.
Old 12-09-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 102 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
I was so happy when he quit having them in the auditorium and just had them over at Rupert's for about half a minute.
Old 12-09-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Well, I'm glad he made an exception for Elisabeth. That was back when he had them come in over by the producer and just stand there, but he let Elisabeth come over and sit down and chat. Good call.
Old 12-10-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope Oprah never decides to show up on Letterman. I'd rather continue to have his jokes about Oprah than have an Oprah appearance which would end the jokes.
Old 12-10-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by D-Ball
I hope Oprah never decides to show up on Letterman. I'd rather continue to have his jokes about Oprah than have an Oprah appearance which would end the jokes.
Dr. Phil's appearance didn't end the Dr. Phil jokes. I'm sure Oprah's wouldn't either.
Old 12-10-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
didn't he also piss off richard gere also about a year or 2 ago? anyone remeber what he said to him?
Old 12-10-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Charlie Sheen wouldn't do Dave's show for years because of basically the same thing Oprah is saying.

He recently did go on the show (at Les Moonves' request) and though it was fairly uneventfuly hated it.
Old 12-10-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 284 Likes on 226 Posts
Dave really only pisses off those who take themselves too seriously.

I remember James Caan was on a few years back and he was a real ass.
Old 12-10-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
Charlie Sheen wouldn't do Dave's show for years because of basically the same thing Oprah is saying.

He recently did go on the show (at Les Moonves' request) and though it was fairly uneventfuly hated it.
Did he tell you this, personally? Because he seemed to have a very good time and it was a pretty entertaining converstation between the two. Both were funny. Still, if you don't make Charlie Sheen jokes and Robert Downey Jr jokes and Oprah jokes, you really don't have much of a show.
Old 12-10-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
didn't he also piss off richard gere also about a year or 2 ago? anyone remeber what he said to him?
Gere angers pretty easily and is a very boring guest. He's been on Dave's show a few times lately and seems to have lightened up a bit and genuinely seemed to enjoy being there. Ever since Chicago, Richard seems to have become nicer about doing press. But, I'm not sure if this is it, but Dave took a lot of heat for the Farrah incident. She came on and seemed wasted and Dave didn't really do much, he didn't have to, but he did make a bit of fun at her. So people blamed Dave for making her look bad and then a director of a film Gere was making with Farrah ripped into Dave at a press conference about the movie and Gere added some not so nice comments (Helen Hunt was there, and is friendly with Dave, as were a few other actors, all who looked like they wanted to leave) about how Dave was an ass. Of course Dave got the clip of the comments, played them on tv, and then went about making fun of the director and others who called him names.

You don't get stories like this on Leno.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 12-10-03 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy
You don't get stories like this on Leno.
Probably because Leno is way too nice to piss people off. Letterman has a pretty sardonic side to him, which I love, but it does tend to rub some celebrities the wrong way.
Old 12-10-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This just proves Dave is the man.
Old 12-10-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by outcastja
This just proves Dave is the man.
I still have that on tape. Drew loves Dave, Julia loves Dave, and recently even Jessica Alba seemed smitten with the old guy.

What's so cool about it was that Gillian really wanted it and was blown away by it. The hottest women melt for the guy, it's amazing.
Old 12-10-03, 10:09 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Yeah, but try dressing in a turkey suit and chase Dave around trying to kiss him and you are in for trouble. It helps if you are Richard Simmons.
Old 12-11-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can remember her being on when he took the NBC show to Chicago. She got a rougher time from the audience than Dave.

If people have the stones to show up and take a bit of ribbing, Dave will then leave them alone. Bryant Gumbel and Joan Collins proved that.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 12-11-03 at 08:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.