Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Oprah Winfrey vs. David Letterman

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Joeboo835
Didn't he piss off Cher really bad too? I remember her calling him a$$hole, but i'm not sure what for
I don't remember what for either, just that it wasn't much. That moment is forever etched in my memory as Dave's defining moment

I don't think Madonna liked him too much either. I remember being surprised since Sandra Bernhard used to do the show all the time and got along great with Dave. You'd think Madonna could've gotten some tips from her.
Old 12-11-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i remeber seeing the cher incident on vh1 behind the music, when letterman asked if sonny and cher would sing together that night, she called him an ass hole.
Old 12-11-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Well imagine that. This latest CNN article is certainly topical considering the discussion:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

Letterman asks Oprah to 'hour of healing'

Thursday, December 11, 2003 Posted: 11:36 AM EST (1636 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Letterman is inviting Oprah Winfrey to his "Super Bowl of Love." He shouldn't hold his breath.

Letterman's latest effort to end the feud between the talk show titans was an invitation, issued on the air Wednesday, to come on his show for an "hour of healing."

Winfrey has repeatedly spurned Letterman's entreaties. The daytime TV queen said she was uncomfortable during two previous appearances on Letterman's show.

"Both times I was sort of like the butt of his jokes," she said in a Time magazine interview. "I felt completely uncomfortable sitting in that chair, and I vowed I would not ever put myself in that position again."

She did, however, send Letterman a tub of children's books to celebrate the recent birth of his first baby.

Letterman said he wanted to work with Dr. Phil McGraw, Winfrey's protege, to bring her back to his show.

"It will be a celebration," he said. "It will be like the first of the year and it will be enormous. It would be like the Super Bowl."

Old 12-13-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...eut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- It's not exactly the "Super Bowl of Love" envisioned by David Letterman, but it could mark an easing of recent tensions between the late-night comedian and daytime talk queen Oprah Winfrey.

A spokeswoman for "The Oprah Winfrey Show" confirmed on Friday that she had turned the tables on CBS's "Late Show" host by inviting Letterman to make his first-ever appearance on her program.

Letterman has been playfully haranguing Winfrey to join him on the air for an "hour of healing" since Time magazine quoted her as vowing never to go on his show again after two previous guest stints left her feeling "like the butt of his jokes."

"I felt completely uncomfortable sitting in that chair," Winfrey said in Time. "But I have a great deal of respect for his talent."

This week, Letterman suggested he and Winfrey could patch up their differences in a "Super Bowl of Love" officiated by self-help guru Dr. Phil McGraw, who himself took a lot ribbing from Letterman until becoming one of the most popular "Late Show" guests earlier this year.

His entreaties were ignored until Thursday, when Winfrey extended an olive branch of her own.

Announcing at the taping of Friday's "Late Show" that "Oprah no longer hates me," Letterman revealed she had invited him to appear on her top-rated syndicated talk program. But the sardonic comedian was noncommittal.

"It can't possibly happen because that would screw up the Super Bowl of Love," Letterman said. "Because here's what would happen: I would go on the Oprah show and I would break down and sob like a little girl."

Instead, Letterman said he wanted to go through with the rapprochement he had imagined.

"Dr. Phil will come out first and straighten me out, because the problem is me," he said. "I have an attitude problem. There is something wrong with me. And then, when he feels it's safe, Oprah will come out. ... And then the love will explode."

Reached by telephone on Friday afternoon, a spokesman for the "Late Show" left open the possibility that Letterman might accept Winfrey's offer, saying, "he has not decided."

In one sign that a thaw was already in the air, Letterman last month acknowledged on the air that Winfrey had sent him a generous baby gift just after the birth of his son, Harry -- a large tub filled with children's books.
Now that seems odd... Wasn't Dave TRYING to get on Oprah's show, a year ago, going so far as to keep a journal detailing if he'd been rejected that day or not?? I'd think he'd jump at the chance to go on.
Old 12-13-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How big would the rating be for either of these shows if one goes on the other?
Old 12-13-03, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he goes on, there'd be a hilarious segment of "Pat & Kenny:Read Oprah's Trranscipts"
Old 12-14-03, 10:51 AM

Letterman also pissed off Shirley McClaine one time to the point that she said (in effect) " Cher told me you were an *******"

******* or not...
I rather see Letterman's quick wit and cutting edge comedy than Leno's brand of comedy anyday of the week...
Old 12-14-03, 01:03 PM

Oh god, don't get me started on Leno. How can anyone like him?????? He's NOT FUNNY!
Old 12-14-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Julia Roberts said on his show the other night that if he hadn't been on Oprah by the next time she does her show, that she would take Dave w/ her. That would be kind of funny.
Old 12-15-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Still, the question remains, what the heck did Dave say to Oprah to make her feel so uncomfortable? I remember all the other examples given - Cher, Shirley McClaine, etc., but until I started this thread, I never even knew Oprah had been on his show!
Old 12-15-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B.A.hist
Julia Roberts said on his show the other night that if he hadn't been on Oprah by the next time she does her show, that she would take Dave w/ her. That would be kind of funny.
That would be classic! I think Julia Roberts just got herself banned from Oprah.

"Dr. Phil will come out first and straighten me out, because the problem is me," he said. "I have an attitude problem. There is something wrong with me. And then, when he feels it's safe, Oprah will come out. ... And then the love will explode."
Old 12-15-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dave rules. im glad he pissed off so many lame celebrtiies.
Old 12-16-03, 06:52 AM

Oprah's first appearance was on a show he did from Chicago back in the NBC days, many moons ago. She was gushing with excitement about being on Dave's show. She was obviously a fan. I remember her making a remark to Dave, something like "I want your phone number so I can call you sometimes and ask what are you watching on TV." Dave replied in his sarcastic way "Yeah, just try and get it." That was the gist of the interview. He basically blew her off.
Old 12-17-03, 06:48 AM

what an a-hole!
Old 12-17-03, 07:16 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
On last night's show it sounded like Oprah had iveited Letterman to be on her show.

From the site:

Dave says that Oprah HAS invited him to go on her show but Dave is afraid he'll end up crying like a little school girl.
Old 12-17-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He spent several weeks on the Oprah journal wanting to get on her show, but now that she's finally offered: he won't go?

I'd rather see the "Super Bowl of Love" anyway!
Old 12-17-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chew
He spent several weeks on the Oprah journal wanting to get on her show, but now that she's finally offered: he won't go?
I'm thinking that it's turned from being a joke into being a ratings ploy. I think, at this point, that both of these would get a lot of viewers; it all comes down to who does the gimic first. Dave would rather that Oprah come on his show.
Old 12-17-03, 04:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Who gets to Letterman? Cher. When she appeared on the show for the first time in May, Letterman asked her why she's been reluctant to be a guest. Cher replied, with a straight face, that she thought he was an "*******." The audience roared, but Letterman was discombobulated and never recovered for the rest of the evening, even though Cher slipped him a note that read, "Dearest David, you're not an *******, love, Cher." "It did hurt my feelings," Letterman admits. "Cher was one of the few people I've really wanted to have on the show, and then she calls me an *******. I felt like a total fool, especially since I say all kinds of things to people. I was sitting there thinking, 'Okay, Mr. Big Shot, can you take it as well as you can dish it out?"
Old 11-21-05, 09:42 PM

No more oprah log

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20051122/en_tv_eo/17822

She'll be on the Late Show on December 1
Old 11-21-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, apparently Oprah's thin skin won't keep her from selling her new video.
Old 11-22-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think Oprah needs Letterman to help her sell anything. She can take a dump in a coffee can and those lemmings that watch her show will buy it. I know because my girlfriend is one of them. "I have to see this movie because Oprah said it was good, I have to buy this book because Oprah said so." Shes like a religion for chicks. When Oprah decides to use her powers for evil, were all doomed.

Last edited by Thrush; 11-22-05 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-22-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 11-22-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you've read Bill Carter's book The Late Shift: Letterman, Leno and the Network Battle for the Night, Carter noted that Letterman--probably because he was less constrained in the Late Night with David Letterman on NBC--had a bad habit of causing problems with celebrity guests, with Cher and Shirley McLaine being the best examples of those problems.

Once Letterman switched to Late Show with David Letterman on CBS, he seemed to tone down himself quite a bit. Nowadays, I find Letterman does far better interviews than Jay Leno does.

It will be very interesting to see how Conan O'Brien does when he becomes the new host of The Tonight Show on NBC in 2009.
Old 11-22-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
If you've read Bill Carter's book The Late Shift: Letterman, Leno and the Network Battle for the Night, Carter noted that Letterman--probably because he was less constrained in the Late Night with David Letterman on NBC--had a bad habit of causing problems with celebrity guests, with Cher and Shirley McLaine being the best examples of those problems.
Letterman didn't cause problems with celebrity guests, he encountered problems with them.

McLaine was the one being difficult (I think "being a bitch" would accurately describe it.) Dave grew frustrated, and she called him an asshole.

Dave and Cher never had a problem. She simply wouldn't do the show, and when she finally did, Cher told Dave that she had declined invitations to be a guest because she thought he was an asshole (just like McLaine had said).

The truth is that back in the NBC days, especially in the beginning, Dave was not comfortable and seemingly not capable of fawning over celebrity guests. It's not that he attacked them or was openly hostile, but he certainly didn't smooch their butts like they were accustomed too.

Now Dave has developed the skill of letting a difficult guest just dig their own graves, while he sits back and looks all the better just for putting up with them.

And let's face it, now when a big star comes on the CBS show, they're taking the stage with an equal. Back in the NBC days, big stars felt like they were slumming when they appeared on Dave's show.

And about the Oprah thing

Oprah never understood that it was simply a recognition of her status in American culture that Dave could use her as a go-to punchline. Dave made fat jokes about Oprah, and she couldn't take it. Boo-Hoo. But look at Bill Clinton, he is still willing to go see Dave.

One of the real problems between Oprah and Dave stems from a time when Dave was doing the show in Chicago, and they invited her to be a guest, she said she was busy and then turned up on Leno that night.

About a month ago Oprah and Uma talked about the Oscars thing on her show. Maybe now she's over it.
Old 11-22-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thrush
I don't think Oprah needs Letterman to help her sell anything. She can take a dump in a coffee can and those lemmings that watch her show will buy it. I know because my girlfriend is one of them. "I have to see this movie because Oprah said it was good, I have to buy this book because Oprah said so." Shes like a religion for chicks. When Oprah decides to use her powers for evil, were all doomed.
You're dating my girlfriend??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.