TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Alias - 11/02/03

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Alias - 11/02/03

"The Nemesis"

Sydney comes face-to-face with someone who was presumed dead, but is now a prominent member of The Covenant.

Cast: Jennifer Garner, Victor Garber, Ron Rifkin, Michael Vartan, Carl Lumbly, Kevin Weisman, David Anders , Greg Grunberg, Merrin Dungey, Kurt Fuller, Dougald Park, Zoran Radanovich, Colin Campbell, Emma Bering, Peter J. Lucas, Alex Mapa, Martin Horsey.
Director(s): Lawrence Trilling.
Producer(s): JJ Abrams, John Eisendrath, Ken Olin.
Writer(s): Crystal Nix Hines.

I thought it was a good ep, but the one thing that is ruining this season is Vaughn and his stupid marriage. It's getting old and it's screwing up the storyline - the previews for next week don't make me too happy.

Marshall on drums - too funny.

Dixon's bitch line in regards to Alison was good, too.
Old 11-02-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Now things are finally getting interesting!

I loved Dixon saying "I want this biitch dead!"

I still didn't buy Allison and Sark trusting Sloane. C'mon.

And yay, they showed the trance credits for this one.
Old 11-02-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved another extended cat-fight between Sydney & FakeFrancie. It's almost like Dynasty is back on the air again! Flashbacks to Krystle & Alexis.

That one shot where Sydney chased Allison down the stairs at the end-- did anyone else think that might be an homage to Twin Peaks? The shot looked eerily similar to the often-used one with Laura Palmer's mom running down the stairs from Laura's bedroom--what with the light flickering on & off and the camera angle shooting from below.

Oh and the writers must read the forums-- I laughed at how they threw in the explanation for Lauren's British accent. Seemed kind of interjected in there just to answer our complaints.

Last edited by Jadzia; 11-02-03 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like this....we're getting back into the Rombaldi storyline. In my opinion, that's what made Season 2 some of the best TV I've ever seen.

Marshall's proposal
Old 11-02-03, 10:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I'm waiting for Syd to shoot herself the way she swings the gun around when she's running.

I didn't buy Sark and Alison trusting Sloane so easily either. I liked Std's line about being able to listen to Sloane die if they find out he's wired.

Marshall
Old 11-02-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
Loved another extended cat-fight between Sydney & FakeFrancie.

Oh and the writers must read the forums-- I laughed at how they threw in the explanation for Lauren's British accent. Seemed kind of interjected in there just to answer our complaints.
I enjoyed the fight, too.

And when she finally explained her accent, I was thinking it's about damn time.

I still love this show, but Vaughn and Lauren just annoy me all together. I hope they don't drag this love triangle out forever.
Old 11-02-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must've been cold that morning.
Old 11-02-03, 11:37 PM

I think I missed the part where they explained her accent. Anyone care to fill me in?
Old 11-02-03, 11:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Shw was born in the US but raised in London
Old 11-03-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I liked Marshall's brains/looks comment.
Old 11-03-03, 01:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
- They should've called this episode "The Breasteses" instead of "The Nemesis." Sydney sprinting, Mrs. Vaughn walking out of a Victoria's Secret photoshoot and into the Vaughn boudoir (does anyone seriously wear underwear like that for everyday occasions?)... sheesh.

- Speaking of, Melissa George looked better in this episode than any before.

- "I want that bitch dead." HELL YES! Welcome back, Dixon!

- Marshall on the skins was great. And his ending, eyes-closed I-love-yous were hilarious.

- Sydney finally getting to tell Sloane what to do was great. I'm sure he really has the upper hand, and he's plotting seventy different ways to screw the CIA over, but it was still fun to watch.

- Those last few lines of the episode really sucked, IMO. "No, she did this. She did this." Oookay. Not sure why it really matters, but whatever.
Old 11-03-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was expecting Syd to give her a bullet through the eyes like she did Francie. Maybe it would have killed her for good.

Question:
If the Covenant wants something from Syd's brain, why don't they capture her? Allison could have easily taken her in when she had her knocked out in the elevator.
Old 11-03-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
You know it's funny, earlier this week I read the "Watching With Kristen" column (from E!Online, but it's also linked from Yahoo.com's television news page), and she said she'd gotten lots of questions about this so she asked the producer: http://yahoo.eonline.com/Gossip/Kris...3/031031b.html

Alias
The Mystery: Why does Mrs. Vaughn (Melissa George) have an accent? Her father is a U.S. Senator from Virginia.
The Answer: From creator-executive producer JJ Abrams: "Lauren Vaughn was born in the U.S. but was raised in London. Her father was working in the embassy in England, and that's why they were there." That's all JJ is spilling for now, but there's much more to know about Lauren's background.
I find it VERY amusing that she asked him recently, and then suddenly there's a forced-sounding bit about it in the dialog? I wonder if they weren't planning on explaining it, but they got tired of all the questions?

I thought it was a pretty good episode, interesting tangent about not killing Syd because they want something in her memory, kinda weird. Oh, Marshall cracks me up, not the proposal but comments like, "You have the looks, I have the brains"!! He rocks!
Old 11-03-03, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Static Cling
- Those last few lines of the episode really sucked, IMO. "No, she did this. She did this." Oookay. Not sure why it really matters, but whatever.
I think it matters because they sent her off in the ambulance on the verge of death, barely a pulse, and it's one thing to escape, but to do so by yourself (hence the "she did this" comments), including kicking the crap out of the guards to do so, that's pretty significant. Apparently this "medical formula" that was hidden in the Rambaldi journal, not only did it save Evil Francie when Syd shot her that night, but apparently it either gave EF some amazing regenetive abilities (ala Wolverine in X-Men ), or she was smart enough to have some on her when she went to the ambulance, and took some and BAM! she's better. Either way, that's a new twist: the unkillable Evil Francie, maybe?
Old 11-03-03, 01:43 AM

Question:
If the Covenant wants something from Syd's brain, why don't they capture her? Allison could have easily taken her in when she had her knocked out in the elevator.
I was thinking about this also, and the only thing I can think of is, she wasn't ready: she came to the club with a specific mission in mind (no indication that she knew beforehand that Syd would be there), and it would take more than just having Sark somewhere outside to be able to kidnap a CIA agent, maybe? Or, maybe she was just focused on the goal of getting the tooth, with orders to not be distracted. Or.... I don't know.... lots of random theories bouncing 'round my head...
Old 11-03-03, 01:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by shoppingbear
Apparently this "medical formula" that was hidden in the Rambaldi journal, not only did it save Evil Francie when Syd shot her that night, but apparently it either gave EF some amazing regenetive abilities (ala Wolverine in X-Men ), or she was smart enough to have some on her when she went to the ambulance, and took some and BAM! she's better. Either way, that's a new twist: the unkillable Evil Francie, maybe?
Oh. Well, I still think the way it was delivered was stupid. But I wasn't thinking about Allison Dorn, Super Soldier.

Ugh. Do we call her Allison Dorn now? Everyone is going to keep calling her Francie, aren't they?
Old 11-03-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been racking my brain but I can't seem to remember - who the hell is Alison Dorn??? I can't remember her at all. And how did they figure out evil Francie was Alison? Syd didn't seem surprised at all to find that out when Dixon tells her that Alison is still alive. How did the CIA know that Alison became Francie?

Oh yeah, and when Marshall said "You've got the looks. I've got the brains." I thought he was going to also say "Let's make lots of money." (In reference to an old Pet Shop Boys song...yeah, yeah - I was a new wave fan )
Old 11-03-03, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hahn
Oh yeah, and when Marshall said "You've got the looks. I've got the brains." I thought he was going to also say "Let's make lots of money." (In reference to an old Pet Shop Boys song...yeah, yeah - I was a new wave fan )
Tee-hee, I thought that too!
Old 11-03-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I really liked the episode:
2nd straight week of fall of the couch funny Marshall moments. Looks vs brains comment was damn funny as was the entire drumming scene.

"I want that bitch dead" go Dixon. Best line ever. Now all we need is for Dixon to go on a mission to assassinate Allison and it'll be all good. To answer your question hahn Allison was part of the testing program Will was reseraching for the CIA. She worked for Sloan who altered her to look like Francie. Allison killed Francie and when Will figured it out, that's when he got stabbed in the tummy but before he got gutted, Will left Syd a voicemail message explaining the situation hence the knock-down drag-out fight Allison and Syd had in the season finale. The CIA probably found out about the switch through Will (though they haven't gone into that) and that would hopefully explain the witness protection thing.

I got both Sark and Vaughn shirtless so that worked out well too
Old 11-03-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

am I the only one whos gonna ask for pics. the first one was (obviously) the opening shot, and Lauren bending over showing lots of cleavage
Old 11-03-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I actually have a shot of Sydney's jog early in the episode. If no one posts it today, I'll try tonight after work.

I loved Marshall's drumming and singing. Classic!

Overall, another fun romp for an Alias episode. Super-Allison does has that X-Files vibe to it now. If Allison starts sprouting claws in future episodes, you'll know that she not only got an enhanced healing factor, but adamantium bones as well...

It looks like Dixon's balls finally descended.

"Three in the head, and you know they're dead." Sydney needs to embrace this motto.
Old 11-03-03, 08:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by hahn
I've been racking my brain but I can't seem to remember - who the hell is Alison Dorn??? I can't remember her at all. And how did they figure out evil Francie was Alison? Syd didn't seem surprised at all to find that out when Dixon tells her that Alison is still alive. How did the CIA know that Alison became Francie?
Allison Dorn's name came up when eveyone was investigating Project Christmas... the project that involved breeding people as kids to be agents. All the Project Christmas kids had been accounted for except for Dorn. Will is the one that figured out that RoboFrancie was Allison. Will & the CIA knew that the people who had been changed into other people needed to take a medicine (probecilin?) to prevent getting sick. Will had suspicions and found the probecilin at the Syd/Will/Francie compound. As he called Syd to tell her, Francie found him and killed him.

I forget all the Project Christmas details, but that's the general thing.
Old 11-03-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did they ever explain how she did "survive" the 3 gun shot wounds to the chest. I had to tape the last half hour sicne i had stuff to take care of.
Old 11-03-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some formula that Sydney helped recover from The Rambaldi artifacts/etc produced a miracle healing elixir that revived Allison from her 3 gunshots to the chest. And this elixir has somehow healed Allison in last night's episode, and she's mighty strong now too.
Old 11-03-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by outcastja
I liked Marshall's brains/looks comment.
Plus the look on Vaugn's face

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.