Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Reality of MTV

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Reality of MTV

I was just sitting here at work thinking about all the shows on MTV. Almost every single show I can think of is a reality based show.

• Real World/Road Rules Gauntlet
  • Newlyweds
  • Real World
  • Road Rules
  • Rich Girls (new show)
  • Camp Jim
  • Fraternity Life
  • Sorority Life

And of course there are the Jackass type shows that pretty much make up their new Sunday lineup:
  • Punk'd
  • Viva La Bam
  • WildBoyz
  • One Bad Trip

And I am sure there are others that I just can't think of. I know it's been a long time since MTV has actually shown full-length music videos but maybe they could at least put some good non-reality based shows on the air. Undressed used to be one of my favorite shows - why can't they have more shows like it? MTV makes some fairly decent movies, I don't know why they can't produce some dramas or comedies. Although I watch a lot of MTV programming, it would be refreshing to see a change.
Old 10-24-03, 04:34 PM
Banned

Kids don't want to see videos anymore, apparently.

Me, I loved being able to put MTV on as background music. Then I had to switch to VH1. Then VH1 started showing a lot of non-video stuff, but it was still cool music-related things like behind the music, so I kept watching.

Now even VH1 sucks. Around here, you have to get digital cable if you want to watch videos.
Old 10-24-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked when MTV was a nice blend of original programming and music videos. That hasn't been the case for the past few years.

While I do enjoy The Real World/Road Rules Challenge and their Jackass-esque shows, I could honestly not care what they have on MTV anymore. MTV is really good at developing a show that I will like, and then will cancel.

Remote Control. Now What? The Andy Dick Show. Clone High. The State. Beavis and Butthead. Trashed. Buzzkill. 2Gether. Singled Out. The Jenny McCarthy Show.

And so on and so on....
Old 10-24-03, 05:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
MTV shows videos...........at 2 in the morning................sometimes

I've seen the commercials for Rich Girls and I have a feeling being kicked in the groin would be less painful then watching that.
Old 10-24-03, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by MrX
I've seen the commercials for Rich Girls and I have a feeling being kicked in the groin would be less painful then watching that.
All I could do was shake my head when I saw the previews for this one.
Old 10-24-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Music is what MTV2 and MTV Hits is for. MTV is for pop culture stuff. Been that way for 10 years now so get over it.
Old 10-24-03, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Mopower
Music is what MTV2 and MTV Hits is for. MTV is for pop culture stuff. Been that way for 10 years now so get over it.
That lineup is pop culture? Looks more like crap to me.
Old 10-24-03, 10:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
All I could do was shake my head when I saw the previews for this one.
I thought it was a joke the first time I saw it.
Old 10-24-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Vegas9203
That lineup is pop culture? Looks more like crap to me.

Simple. Don't watch it.
Old 10-24-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Maybe they should change their name to Rtv. reality is all they seem to show and they seem to have a stupid sense of reality. sticking ten people into a house is not reality. especially not when those ten people are all there for the simple reason of being on tv.

They also do a lot of masterbation shows. Real World Vs Road Rules is an example. you take people from your other shows and you throw them together to fight one another... blah. then you have the ICON shows and those ever lovely Punk'd episodes. it really doesn't seem like Music television anymore.

You have to hate the schedule shows though. the new episode of a said show is on at say 10 and from 8 through 10 you are just seeing repeats of it trying to catch you up in a block schedule. what is the point really?
Old 10-25-03, 12:18 AM

Mopower is a grumpy ***k.

Anyways, yeah, Mtv is worthles in my eyes. Well, there's the eye candy factor (Mallory from the The Real World), but above all else, it's a turd
Old 10-25-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You know, if they choose to actually show a Music show during the day time hours without screaming requesters in the background instead of the reruns of the last few weeks worth of the latest reality show, then perhaps it would be better. the watchers of the show do not an entire recap every week to remember what happened. attention spans are small, but not that small now a days.
Old 10-25-03, 01:34 AM

Jack, ever actually talk to someone who would actually go on TRL? I dunno, for their crowd, that 20 min. long recap is worth it...
Old 10-25-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by groovrbaby
Mopower is a grumpy ***k.

Anyways, yeah, Mtv is worthles in my eyes. Well, there's the eye candy factor (Mallory from the The Real World), but above all else, it's a turd

Wow, your lucky I don't care about personal attacks because if I did your ass would be banned. I'm just sick of everyone complaining that MTV doesn't play music anymore. It gets old. You want music? Turn on the ****ing radio. They have MTV2 and MTV Hits that just play music videos. Why do we need a third? They all play the same shit anyway. The same over played radio shit that THE SAME people complain about being popular.

Last edited by Mopower; 10-25-03 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-25-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just sick of everyone complaining that MTV doesn't play music anymore. It gets old. You want music? Turn on the ****ing radio. They have MTV2 and MTV Hits that just play music videos. Why do we need a third? They all play the same shit anyway. The same over played radio shit that THE SAME people complain about being popular.
I'm definitely not complaining about MTV not showing music videos. They haven't done that for some time now, and they made new channels just for videos. I have those channels, if I want to watch some music videos I do. So that part of MTV I have no problem with. I just don't know why they can't produce something remotely original or make some better shows. Matthew Chmiel was definitely right, Singled Out, Remote Control - those were pretty original and they were great game shows. At that point of MTV they pretty much went game show crazy and now I guess they are just Reality Show crazy. I'm sure there has to be some good pilots floating around that would be perfect for MTV.
Old 10-25-03, 10:56 AM
Banned

Wow, your lucky I don't care about personal attacks because if I did your ass would be banned. I'm just sick of everyone complaining that MTV doesn't play music anymore. It gets old. You want music? Turn on the ****ing radio. They have MTV2 and MTV Hits that just play music videos. Why do we need a third? They all play the same shit anyway. The same over played radio shit that THE SAME people complain about being popular.
Ooooh, hear that? Someone's lucky.

Jaysis, can you act anymore childish?

Get this through your head, slappy. People have the right to complain. Especially when it's about something they like being turned into something the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Don't like to see people talking about what's wrong with something? DON'T READ IT.
Old 10-25-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JestersTear
People have the right to complain. Especially when it's about something they like being turned into something the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Don't like to see people talking about what's wrong with something? DON'T READ IT.
Wow guess you told me. Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of NOBODY last night. You say people have the right to complain...hmmm WTF do you think I'm doing? THERE ARE alternatives to MTV like I've said twice now so stop the sorry ass bitching about MTV being turned into a different channel. And if you don't like what I'm talking about then take your own fricking advice and DON'T READ IT. And I think you just took the prize for being more childish Slappy.
Old 10-25-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At that point of MTV they pretty much went game show crazy
They were really never "game show crazy." In the time span of 1988 - 1997, I can't name that many game shows that MTV had. Remote Control. Singled Out. Trashed. Idiot Savants. That's the only four I can think of. But while they did have game shows, they also had more original content on at the same time. Unlike MTV's current state which is mostly reality TV.
Old 10-25-03, 01:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Jenny McCarthy Show.
Funny you bring this up, as I was just thinking about this show after watching Scary Movie 3 last night. I thought this show was pretty funny stuff, and remember being impressed with her comic chops and the subversive bent of the show.
Old 10-25-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't really care for music videos.

*shrug*

Real World has pissed me off lately though cause it seems like last few casts have been playing it up for the camera: see Las Vegas & Hawaii.
Old 10-25-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MTV is still around?
Old 10-26-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
That's all well and good, if you live somewhere that has MTV2 or MTV Hits available. It's not available where I live, unless I buy a satellite dish. My only choices are MTV or VH1. It would be nice if they would play a video every once in a while.

Also, I have to laugh everytime I see someone post something like, " I'll get you banned". Sounds like a kid saying "I'm going to tell the teacher on you" in elementary school. I'm not personally attacking you or anything, that's just what it reminds me of.

Last edited by collven; 10-26-03 at 01:38 AM.