Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Sci-Fi Channel?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What happened to the Sci-Fi Channel?

Old 11-12-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the news of the possible continuation of Farscape, the series that was cultivated and championed by the Sci Fi Channel, now would be a good time to point out all the other series that were saved in part or in whole by the Sci Fi Channel.

Farscape
Sliders
G vs E
Legend of the Rangers(Telefilm)
StarGate SG-1
Lexx
Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

All of these shows and their fans owe SciFi a debt of grattitude for saving them.

Thank You SciFi Channel.
Old 11-12-03, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Derrich
With the news of the possible continuation of Farscape, the series that was cultivated and championed by the Sci Fi Channel, now would be a good time to point out all the other series that were saved in part or in whole by the Sci Fi Channel.

Farscape
killed on a cliff-hanger, nothing said about SciFi having anything to do with this yet.

Sliders

Cheaped to death and dumbed down badly.. left hanging...

G vs E
ditto...
You have the GALL to call this saving a series??? Are you born stupid or just a shill??? Delayed an eternity and then deliberately programmed against the BIGGEST FOOTBALL GAME of the year? Even tho East coast ratings were bad, the rest of the country were execllent.. but SlyLi ignored that.. it was dead before it aired in their eyes..

StarGate SG-1
Lexx
Somethings do have an 'expire date' that must be observed, not ignored.

Perhaps only the good thing done.. but the Bonnie-bridage killed it as of Jan'04... it's gone forever then.

Thank You SciFi Channel.
.. for doing more in the past 3 years to destroy the SciFi genre and irritate and piss off SciFi Fandom...

Last edited by Londo; 11-12-03 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-12-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Late once again. REAL late.

Coupla things.

To those who support the view that “SciFi to the masses” is a good thing, I submit that this approach will do (is doing) to SF what the internet is doing to the printed word. Hence the third season of Enterprise.

But, more importantly:
Originally posted by das Monkey
Using the terms "original" and "sci-fi" to describe the current state of this channel is like calling President Bush an eloquently articulate orator.
Damn. Makes me wanna change my sig and go back to posting in Otter.

Old 11-12-03, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at what has happened in the past year as a result of SciFi pushing the industry. More SciFi movies are being shown in theatres, more scifi themed shows are popping up on other major networks. This is a direct result of the SciFi channel making the genre not only fashionable, but accessable. The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, Jake 2.0, Smallville, Enterprise,the list goes on and on. All of them owe the SciFi channel a debt of gratitude for making Science Fiction viable.
Forgive me for asking as I'm part of the uninformed internet mob, but how in the blue hell is Lord of the Rings Sci-fi????????

Perhaps I missed the obvious, but please inform me as to how the SciFi channel making science fiction fashionable results in the Lord of the Rings being made. Last time I checked, LotR is the grand daddy of FANTASY.
Old 11-12-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Farscape
Sliders
G vs E
StarGate SG-1
Lexx
Farscape & LEXX were both 'scifi originals' neither had been 'saved'. They were started and killed by the same channel.

OK they saved Sliders, G vs E, and Stargate. Sliders and G vs E sucked royally when switched over to scifi, but they did save them.

No credit for Legend of the Rangers since JMS proposed this to them. I think was even called as a scifi original movie in the promos.

So having fun playing devil's advocate?
Old 11-13-03, 05:31 AM

What pisses me off is that they started airing The Incredible Hulk tv series for a few months then just stopped. No explanation, I checked the web site and even emailed them, NOTHING. Nice way to treat your customers SCI-FI.
Old 11-13-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by strife
So having fun playing devil's advocate?
If the objective is to get people up-in-arms, it still seems to be working.
Old 11-13-03, 03:06 PM

It was fun, then scary, now it's fun again.

SciFi Channel should take resposibility for not only saving the shows I mentioned above, but also scifi shows on bigger networks. Shows like Buffy and Angel are only possible because of the crossover fanbase that SciFi Channel has cultivated.

When SciFi switched focus and essentially told viewers that it was 'cool' to be into science fiction again, shows like Buffy became more popular. Where would Jake 2,0 be if the SciFi Channel hadn't created the hip scifi demographic. A concrete example of this phemomenon is Smallville. Before the new direction of the SciFi channel, the previous incarnation is Superman on TV was Lois and Clark, a show aimed at older audiences. But Smallville is mainstream 'teen' oriented, a group that simply did not watch comic book shows before the SciFi channel made it acceptable.
Old 11-13-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Shows like Buffy and Angel are only possible because of the crossover fanbase that SciFi Channel has cultivated.
You say that as if it were a good thing.
Old 11-13-03, 06:00 PM

I thought Taken was good and I'm glad they produced it.
Old 11-13-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buffy, Angel, Smallville, Jake 2.0, Lois and Clark, Braveheart.

Pick the one that doesn’t belong.
Old 11-14-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Braveheart is about as much science fiction as Maid in Manhattan. Whats next? Reruns of One Day at a Time??
Old 11-14-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wrong answer.
Old 11-14-03, 11:15 AM

I think thats it's admirable the after all the years of being on the air, the SciFi channel's only real mistake was to air Braveheart. A few non-scifi hours out of thousands of hours of quality science fiction programming is not such a bad thing. Compare it to MTV which has all but abandoned it's original 'Music Television' moniker to show reality shows and fluff peices. SciFi has strengthened it's lineup every step of the way, shifting focus at times, but always on the same course of airing enjoyable science fiction and fantasy shows and catering to it's fans.
Old 11-14-03, 11:59 AM

Derrich, your lame attempts at defending SlyLi have been blown out of the water....

Aint-it-cool-News has a review of the 1st two nights of the BSG mini-series... http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16490

this is what you call scifi???

What I saw was absolutely unredeemably BORING!
Cylons have developed femme bots! And we see her all over the place (edit), crossing and uncrossing her legs, pushing cleavage at folks, massaging inner thighs… My favorite bit with her is when Baltar tears off her black cellophane panties, and robowhore rips off his pants and begins to do the grinding cowgirl on him as she begins to take off her black cellophane bra, the camera goes around back to see her writhing back… she’s moaning about how HOT she’s getting, how incredibly HOT he’s making her feel… and that’s when her spine begins to do the Cylon red pulse. Honest… No really, that’s what happens!
Read the rest if you dare... but this is a trainwreck in slow motion.

To hades with SlyLi.
Old 11-14-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't think SCI-FI saved G vs. E since the show aired on USA and they just moved it to sci-fi because they felt it was a better fit.
Old 11-14-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Londo
Derrich, your lame attempts at defending SlyLi have been blown out of the water....

Aint-it-cool-News has a review of the 1st two nights of the BSG mini-series... http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16490

this is what you call scifi???
Holy shit that was funny...

[waitin' for the spin..]
Old 11-14-03, 03:34 PM

You can't take what is said on AICN with any amount of credibility. The reviewer admits to seeing only a half finished show with placeholder sound and visual effects. It's obvious that he was expecting a carbon copy of the original BSG and not the new re-invention of the series that SciFi has created. The same person that scoffs at attractive cylons has not problem with the attractive 'program' of Monica Bellucci in the Matrix. I sense a double standard. Battle Star Galactica will be a tour de force of story and special effects. And despite the crazed, expletive filled rantings of an internet 'reporter' I am sure that the public will applaud once they get to see the -completed- version of the SciFi Channel's BattleStar Galactica.
Old 11-14-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
You can't take what is said on AICN with any amount of credibility. The reviewer admits to seeing only a half finished show with placeholder sound and visual effects. It's obvious that he was expecting a carbon copy of the original BSG and not the new re-invention of the series that SciFi has created. The same person that scoffs at attractive cylons has not problem with the attractive 'program' of Monica Bellucci in the Matrix. I sense a double standard. Battle Star Galactica will be a tour de force of story and special effects. And despite the crazed, expletive filled rantings of an internet 'reporter' I am sure that the public will applaud once they get to see the -completed- version of the SciFi Channel's BattleStar Galactica.
Have you seen it? He at least has seen an unfinished version. What is your review based on?
Old 11-14-03, 04:31 PM

I base my opinion on SciFi's past triumphs. Dune, Farscape, Children of Dune, and Steven Speilberg's Taken were all critical and ratings successes. I don't see any evidence that SciFi's newest efforts will be any different. And when a reviewers starts the review explaining how he doesn't like to watch tv shows as if they're beneath him, it doesn't add to his credibility.

D
Old 11-14-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, Braveheart isn't the only non-scifi movie shown. I don't think the Indiana Jones series is remotely sci-fi. Not unless Nazis were some alien species bent on world domination through the use of religious artifacts. Braveheart's a no-brainer. I still haven't figured out the sci-fi angle on that one. And what about that thing Shannon "Imabitch" Doherty was hosting? Sci-fi? No. It was just some lame attempt at a horror candid camera stunt show or something. Don't get me started on that dude who "sees" dead people and tells you about it - Crossing Over. Sci-fi? Hell no. Lame "reality" tv. Or something. I don't know what to call it, but it ain't sci-fi.

I'm sorry, but Sci-fi did not make the genre mainstream. The genre was already fairly mainstream when Next Generation, X-Files, and B5 were being shown on network TV. The popularity of the genre has peaks from time to time, which is when you see a lot of movies being released, and tv shows being produced. At other times, it is simply humming along in the background. The Sci-Fi channel, in spite of its efforts to draw more viewers by showing non sci-fi movies like Braveheart, is not the thing that is making the genre popular.

Kudos if Sci-fi gets a clue and starts showing programs that they should never have axed in the first place, but they aren't doing the genre any favors.

They don't care about the sci-fi fanbase. They only care about making money.
Old 11-15-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I base my opinion on SciFi's past triumphs. Dune, Farscape, Children of Dune, and Steven Speilberg's Taken were all critical and ratings successes. I don't see any evidence that SciFi's newest efforts will be any different. And when a reviewers starts the review explaining how he doesn't like to watch tv shows as if they're beneath him, it doesn't add to his credibility.

D
So you now you admit that Farscape was a critical and rating success, but you defend Sci-Fi for cancelling it?

And you still can't base your review of a show on OTHER shows. You can't give your opinion on it until you have seen it yourself.
Old 11-16-03, 09:40 AM

Of course Farscape was a great show. Unfortunatley it was hampered by over budget producers and over zealous fans. The budget for the show was huge and no matter how much it was loved by SciFi, it just couldn't sustain itself. It could easily be said that the producers, not SciFi, were responsible for the non-renewal of the series.

I am an optimist at heart and I like to give shows the benifit of the doubt, especailly when the creators have an excellent track record like the SciFi channel. So until I see the epic Battlestar Galactica Miniseries for myself, I will hold out hope that it will be the groundbreaking television event that it appears it will be.

D
Old 11-16-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

especailly when the creators have an excellent track record like the SciFi channel.

BTW, the horse's name is Braveheart.
Old 11-16-03, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Of course Farscape was a great show. Unfortunatley it was hampered by over budget producers and over zealous fans. The budget for the show was huge and no matter how much it was loved by SciFi, it just couldn't sustain itself. It could easily be said that the producers, not SciFi, were responsible for the non-renewal of the series.
So, to sum up, in your mind, SciFi has done and can do no wrong and any missteps that it is perceived to have taken are actually the fault of someone else. Is that a fair and accurate assessment of your statements?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.