Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What happened to the Sci-Fi Channel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, he was making some interesting arguments for a while there but has now completely lost me.
Old 10-28-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
before you know it, sci-fi will be completely void of any science fiction too. I can't wait for that. I give it another year before the Sci-Fi Channel completely changes and starts playing "the science of making a healthy meal" in primetime. hey, it does have the word science in it, so it will work on the network.
Old 10-28-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Derrich

Of all of those shows, only 1 is a spaceship themed oddessy. The others are character based shows that take place on the ground. This is exactly the direction that Ms Hammer said the genre was heading and she was right. Bonnie Hammer not only predicted where Science Fiction would be, she was able to position the network to be there first.

D
does she live on the same planet we do? I remember watching quite a few sci-fi shows and not all of them had a ship in space theme. does she actually believe she is the reason sci-fi shows don't always have space ships?

does a show have to have a spaceship to be classified as sci-fi? no. of all the sci-fi shows out there, how many were actually spaceship type shows? not as many as nonship shows.
Old 10-28-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have links to any of the press releases (or whatever) where they say that they want to move away from Space ships or want to be more like USA? I was telling someone about how Sci-Fi wants to be USA2, but couldn't find any "official" info to that point.
Old 10-28-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Exactly! A lot of the so called statements by the SciFi channel are no more than Urban Legend. The SciFi network, although owned by USA Networks, is not, has not, and never will be "USA2".

By expanding on what is considered 'traditional' science fiction, the SciFi channel has come under fire by a vocal minority. Undeservedly so, the network has had it's missteps exxagerated and it's accomplishments ignored. To those who say that SciFi is killing anything with a space ship in it, I would like to point out BattleStar Galactica and Steven Spielberg's Taken which has a space ship as a major plot device. To those who say the network is being dumbed down, I point to the adaptations of science fiction classics 'Brave New World' and 'Children of Dune'.

D
Old 10-28-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To those who say the network is being dumbed down, I point to the adaptations of science fiction classics 'Brave New World' and 'Children of Dune'.
I leave others to discuss your other points... I just wanted to point out that Sci-Fi (sic) had nothing to do with the Brave New World movie. It was made for NBC. They simply show it from time to time.
Old 10-28-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, if you were joking, now I'll never know.

datagirl7, I'm at work, so I'll have to wait until I get home to search. I was able to find them the last time someone around here made false accusations that this stuff was made up, but that was probably a year ago. At the time, all the data was still on the www.scifi.com website. I don't know if it's still there or if any of it is still on my harddrive. You may need to search other sites for it. The press releases with the most incriminating information are from late 2001 if I remember correctly.

das
Old 10-28-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Derrich must work either in programming or marketing at Sci Fi, or even possibly be a relation to Hammer. Me thinks he does protest too much.

Derrich, do you really think you're going to make anyone turnaround and say, "Hey, you're right. Their programming doesn't suck, and Braveheart is indeed Sci Fi!" Doubtful.

Anyone can say what they will, but the fact remains that the network went down hill after they stopped using the Sci Fi Santa. He was the best, and I looked forward to his songs. They still haunt me.

I'm the Sci Fi Santa, it's Memorial Day. I'm not supposed to be here, but I showed up anyway...
Old 10-28-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite Sci Fi ad from the good ol' days was the Kevin Garnett "I am Sci Fi" one. He walked among the cosmos with spaceships firing upon him, and then proceeded to dunk a planet through its rings with authority. He then hung from the rings and growled, "I AM SCI FI!!!" Great ad. I remember when I too was Sci Fi.

das
Old 10-28-03, 03:04 PM

To those who say that SciFi is killing anything with a space ship in it, I would like to point out BattleStar Galactica and Steven Spielberg's Taken which has a space ship as a major plot device.
D
Following your "Taken" logic, I guess since "Smallville" has a spaceship in it (the ship that brought Clark to Earth) it must be a spaceship story as well.

The focus of "Taken" wasn't the ships, it was the people. I'll give you "Battlestar Galactica", but those two shows total compared to a year of SciFi's programming - well, that's a rather large gulf.

SciFi's become the dumping ground for cheesy movies, bad reality programming ("Crossing Over"? Give me a break) a gem or two ("Dune") and good shows run into the ground ("Twilight Zone", "Star Trek", "Babylon 5"). The one innovative show they had - "Farscape" - they killed. Now, please explain the logic behind killing off your #2 most popular show. I guess "CSI" and "ER" are next on the kill list on their respective networks.
Old 10-28-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ER's moving to Sci Fi Channel, no worries about a cancellation. You see, ER was created by Michael Crichton, who also wrote Jurassic Park. So, both are Sci Fi.

Just like Mel Gibson stars in Mad Max and Signs, thus making Braveheart Sci Fi.

Sean Connery was in Highlander and Outlander, so Finding Forrester is also Sci Fi.

Since Steven Spielger made Taken, Schindlers List is also Sci Fi.

I think I've hit upon the '6 Degrees' programming method that Sci Fi channel has begun using.

It's only days before they show Hudson Hawk...
Old 10-28-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Mattrk
I guess "CSI" and "ER" are next on the kill list on their respective networks.
Following an earlier thread of "logic" from Derrich, it would be assumed that Sci-Fi will probably end up airing ER or CSI to draw viewers in. Their Braveheart/Flintstones combo brought over MANY viewers..

I'm guessing Derrich had a point when he first started responding, but now his replies seem borderline troll-ish. I mean, sure there are THREE sides to every story...but evidence [and history] has shown there's only TWO in this case. No matter HOW Derrich chooses to spin it..

But then, what do I know...i'm part of the "vocal minority"...
Old 10-28-03, 04:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

@ Derrich

4 pages later and there's still a bunch of people who didn't understand your first post
Old 10-28-03, 04:17 PM

What does the Sci Fi channel need to do to redeem itself in some viewers eyes?
Attract big names? Done(Event Miniseries)
Show classic SciFi series? Done(daily blocks of classic scifi)
Update well loved shows in a modern format? Done(BSG)
Adapt classic science fiction novels? Done(Brave New World, etc)
Show new, original movies? Done(SciFi Originals)

It seems that the channel will forever be paying for past missteps. The cancellation of a series or two should not be the defining moment of a network. SciFi gives a show a much better chance at survival than other netwoks (for example Fox with FireFly and Lone Gunmen, TNT with Crusade,CBS with Now and Again and Brimstone). Many of those shows are either currently airing on SciFi or will be soon.
Old 10-28-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>But then, what do I know...i'm part of the "vocal minority"... <HR SIZE=1>

Why would you say that? Perhaps you're the "underinformed online mob."

das
Old 10-28-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth greydt •<HR SIZE=1>

@ Derrich

4 pages later and there's still a bunch of people who didn't understand your first post
<HR SIZE=1>

It made sense when I first read it. I even laughed at it and didn't respond to the first couple of posts. But over time, after chances for clarification, my opinion has changed, which is unfortunate. Turning back becomes difficult at this point.

das
Old 10-28-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forget Sci-Fi, anybody know what happened to the thread starter Scot1458?
Old 10-28-03, 05:03 PM

90 posts later I'm still posting on a position which is completely opposite of my true position. I almost convinced myself. So to clarify it once more, I am defending the Sci Fi channel in this thread just to be different. To see if it can be done. I am not insane, but to take the stance I'm taking it is neccessary to make insane statements. I now return to the previously scheduled newspeak.

Today on SciFi's schedule is Dark Shadows, Babylon 5(letterboxed), Stargate Sg-1, X-Files, Retro PuppetMaster, the Twilight Zone, the investigative New Roswell, and no less than three genre films. To me, thats proof that the SciFi channel is dedicated to satisfying all scifi fans.

D
Old 10-29-03, 01:52 AM
Banned

I had this long winded post but decided to just shorten it and give the basics.

-SciFi of then rocked.

-I loved tuning in at 11-12 to watch my daily dose of Twilight Zone and at 4 to watch Star Trek and Quantumn Leap. SciFi hates me so they retooled their schedule for the 100th time to piss me off. Well, that said, I don't tune in as often (if ever)

-The SciFi originals never look interesting to me. I think the Robocop and Tremors ones looked cool. I still didn't care enough to catch them. Actually, whenever they announce something, I ignore it. It'll just be another low production value turd parade that defaces it's franchise.

-Watching Sci-Fi/Horror films on cable sucks ass. It's pointless. Some of these films are known for gore and sexuality. I'll stick with commercial-free Showtime Beyond for movies.

-Why did they stop the Saturday morning anime thing?

-Stick with a consistent schedule already! The only thing consistent with that channel is John Edwards and how everytime I turned on the channel, he's on!

-Please put a 2 hour mandatory block of Star Trek and Twilight Zone. Without these two, the SciFi channel wouldn't exist to me.

Well that said, I don't know what the hell is up with the SciFi Channel. I used to like it. I still kinda do. It has so much potential but I can't put up with their bull crap. Pissing off viewers (epecially SciFi fans (your core audience!!)) is the dumbest thing you could do. What on earth is the logical reasoning behind it?
Old 10-29-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flintstones = bad Hanna Barberra cartoon parody of The Honeymooners made into a pale lackluster movie with John Goodman.
Hold on there buster. You can knock the Scifi channel and you can knock the movie based off the cartoon, but leave the Flintstones cartoon out of this! That toon is the shiznit, don't get it twisted.

BTW does anyone know where I can find the "I am Scifi" promos? I loved those.
Old 10-29-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Derrich, as a long standing member of the uninformed internet mob I must ask you to stop parading Brave New World about. NBC made that movie, not Sci-Fi, they just rerun it. You might as well give Sci Fi credit for the 1980 Martian Chronicles miniseries.

boredsilly, it's a well known fact that the Flintstones are an adaptation of The Honeymooners. Hanna Barberra has admitted it, and Mad (or was it Cracked?) once did a comparison in their magazine. There's nothing wrong with that, however.

Anyone, I never watched Farscape and I don't like Babylon 5. The thing that irks me the most about Sci Fi is that damnable John Edwards show.

Si Fi Channel, stop showing heavily cut Full Moon movies from the past 15 years and try showing the occasional 50's or 60's sci fi flick. C'mon, would it kill you to throw on THEM every once in awhile? Don't talk to me about cost, most of those movies are public domain now. Full Moon Theater was actually kind of cool, accept you moved it to 3:00 am and the movies were so heavily cut that they were unfollowable.
Old 10-30-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

I could give you the long answer, but at the heart of it all is one simple truth: Sci-Fi Channel management (with Hammer in charge) hates sci-fi programming. They've even gone so far as to ignorantly mock their loyal viewers in press releases. The current mission of the Sci-Fi Channel is to avoid at all costs anything unique, original, or intellectual. If you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not ... that's really what they want. The more generic the network the better. Why they continue to call it the Sci-Fi Channel is beyond me, since what they really want already exists. It's called USA (Hammer's former job). There's nothing Sci-Fi about the Sci-Fi Channel, and nothing Original about their so-called Sci-Fi Original Pictures.

What happened to the Sci-Fi Channel? Greed.

They're dead to me too, and nothing short of a formal public apology for intentionally and maliciously lying to its viewers while sandbagging their two most popular shows will make me ever tune in again. Either that or Hammer's head on pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at her lifeless eyes and wave like this.

das
Yeah, baby. I missed your eloquent rants, das. Couldn't resist checking in now that I have a dvr and can actually keep up with my tv watching (spoilers aren't as much of an issue, at least for current weeks' shows). And I was going to make a rant of my own on how horrid usa2 is, but you saved me the headache.

I completely agree.
Old 10-30-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, Princess!! Long time ... can we expect more of you around here, or is this a brief honor?

das
Old 10-30-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Hey, Princess!! Long time ... can we expect more of you around here, or is this a brief honor?

das
*sniff* I was missed.

I'll do my best to stick around - hopefully no spoilers will chase me away again. Since I got a dvr at the beginning of the season I've been able to keep up, so I felt brave enough to venture back. Plus I missed you guys. Thanks for the welcome back!
Old 11-07-03, 08:38 AM

Don't forget to set your DVR to pick up Sci Fi's BattleStar Galactica on December 9th. The re-invention of the classic series should go a long way in showing that the SciFi Channel is dedicated to brining quality science fiction stories to tv. With state of the art effects, a young 'hip' cast, and a female Starbuck, BattleStar Galactica is set to become a classic once again. And it's only on SciFi.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.