Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

who here has direct tv/dish network?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had DirecTV since November 94.. very good and very happy with it.

However, there is now a THIRD Satellite TV provider providing service.

http://www.voom.com/

This is actually Cablevision starting up a service with 21 HDTV channels! It looks pretty cool and has a lot of potential.
Old 10-16-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Achtung
Another highly satisfied Dish Network customer here. Excellent service, and all the channels I want. I hooked up a Tivo this week, and I couldn't possibly ask for more.
Actually, you could ask for more. The DirecTivo from DirecTv
Old 10-16-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Achtung
Another highly satisfied Dish Network customer here. Excellent service, and all the channels I want. I hooked up a Tivo this week, and I couldn't possibly ask for more.
You could also ask for dual tuners, recording the MPEG stream directly from the satellite for no picture quality loss, 5.1 sound output and $4.99/mo service vs. ~$13/mo (unless you get a lifetime subscription).
Old 10-16-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by asabase
Sounds good. But what about people that get the 3room system, activate the 3 receivers and then ebay 2 of them? Is that possible?
All the "free" receivers are attached to the same account for a year. If any receiver is taken off the account, Directv will charge the account for it. A used receiver will also require a new $20 access card from Directv prior to activation.

If you and your roommates take a 3 room setup (you with a DTiVo), you will have to decide who is responsible for the account, so -

- If the account is in your name and you move with the DTiVo (leaving the others), you are on the hook for those 2 receivers. Your roomies could then pay you for them and setup another account with Directv (probably not needing new cards if you explain the situation to Directv). You could then use the movers service and get a new dish installed to use your DTiVo (still under the 1 year agreement) at your new address.

- If the account stays with someone else in the house when you move, you would pay them for the DTiVo. You could then signup for Directv as a new customer and get a 2nd DTiVo (I hear rumors they may give them away free to new customers soon). Get a new access card for the original DTiVo and get it all installed as a new customer.

Decisions, decisions ...
Old 10-16-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great info. Exactly what I was wondering. My roommate won't be able to afford paying me whatever DirecTV wants to remove two receivers from an account, so it looks like I'll try and get my roommate to sign up. Do they let anyone sign up? I have a feeling his credit isn't in good shape.

Also, how much would I have to pay to take the DTivo off the account and take it with me (in addition to the $99 initial upgrade)?
Old 10-16-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably less than the $99 for a new one, depending on how many months it was on the account (prorated). DTiVos are already $99 to existing customers, so I can't imagine them charging more than that.

Having 2 DTiVos is the best. I can record 4 shows at once AND watch a recorded show in the living room AND let the wife unit watch recorded Lifetime movies on the bedroom TV to her heart's content ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

His & her DTiVos = wedded bliss
Old 10-16-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Who told you this and why?

Direct TV carries locals depending on where you live and what locals you should get. I would check this before jumping to conclusions.
I wasn't jumping to conclusions. I called DirectTV and they told me there was no locals available in my area. I specifically asked them if there was any way to get ANY network channels (I really don't care if they are local are not) and they said I would need to get an antennae. Or I could get the local affiliates to grant me a waiver, but they said that that almost never happens.

So, is there some sort of special package deal that I should be asking for that I am unaware of???
Old 10-17-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Palaver
I wasn't jumping to conclusions. I called DirectTV and they told me there was no locals available in my area. I specifically asked them if there was any way to get ANY network channels (I really don't care if they are local are not) and they said I would need to get an antennae. Or I could get the local affiliates to grant me a waiver, but they said that that almost never happens.

So, is there some sort of special package deal that I should be asking for that I am unaware of???
Nope, you're pretty much SOL. I suggest asking DishNetwork if they provide locals in your area since Dish has a lot of locals that Directv doesn't have.

There is also the Canadian option (u get locals from many cities and allows you to timeshift) plus its much cheaper.
Old 10-17-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
You could also ask for dual tuners, recording the MPEG stream directly from the satellite for no picture quality loss, 5.1 sound output and $4.99/mo service vs. ~$13/mo (unless you get a lifetime subscription).
Well I could also ask for a dinosaur and to be the world's largest man, covered entirely in 24K gold... but you get the idea.

Point is, I'm satisfied. I considered DirecTV, but at the time Dish had a better deal, and their service has been excellent. I'm sure DirecTV customers will say the same.

But really, let's not turn this into Dish vs DirecTV. Because either one is miles ahead of cable.
Old 10-17-03, 11:40 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

are hdtv tivo's out yet? it'll be a while before hdtv receivers and hdtv tivo's drop in price right?
Old 10-17-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by draggoon01
are hdtv tivo's out yet? it'll be a while before hdtv receivers and hdtv tivo's drop in price right?
No HD TiVo just yet. I guess it should be early next year though.
Old 10-17-03, 11:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

so how long (or will it ever happen) when hdtv is standard receiver sold to everyone and hdtv tivo costs ~$100-200 to buy?

more than 3 years?
Old 10-17-03, 12:45 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
yes for more than 3 years.

The recording capacity of the HD Tivo's uses up a lot of HD.

I think the early ones will have at least 1 if not 2 200gb hard drives.

and 400gb will get you 40 hours of HD, I could be off a but, but it's close to 10gb /Hour for HD.

Of course not everything you record will be HD so if you use up 15 hours of HD you would still have about 200 hours for normal programming
Old 10-17-03, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by draggoon01
so how long (or will it ever happen) when hdtv is standard receiver sold to everyone and hdtv tivo costs ~$100-200 to buy?

more than 3 years?
I sure hope not.
Old 10-17-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Direct since 98 just got the Tivo last month and it is the best AV item I have ever picked up well after the DVD.
Old 10-18-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is always an outside chance you could get new york and la feeds. you'll need to have them check your eligibility for those.

Once you go tivo, you'll never go back. DirecTV happens to be offering a Tivo challenge to all customers right now. Basically, you buy a tivo for $99 plus handling and delivery and if you decide you don't like it within 30 days you can return it for a $99 refund and they'll replace it with a standard receiver at no extra cost (worse case scenario, you end up paying a s&h charge of about $10 for a standard receiver).
Old 10-18-03, 07:13 PM

I have been a DirecTV customer since '96 or '97 and owner of 2 DirecTV-Tivos since 2000.

I am a very happy camper.

Ian
Old 10-18-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some guys on a local radio station were discussing the upcoming release of a DVD R Tivo. A Tivo that records to a DVD. What's next?

DirecTv is still the best, even tho' I do not have Tivo.
Old 10-20-03, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Chew
I had Replay before switching to a DirecTiVo. The Replay has no problem going between antenna/cable and a dish.
So, would the program guide work for the antenna? Will it know to switch between the antenna and the dish without me manually doing?

Thanks
Old 10-21-03, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, would the program guide work for the antenna? Will it know to switch between the antenna and the dish without me manually doing?

Thanks
During set-up, it will ask what kind of inputs you have. If you select antenna w/dish, it will then ask for your zip code. Based on the zip code, it will provide guide information for your area channels along with dish information in one seamless guide. It knows when to switch between the two.
Old 10-21-03, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Chew
During set-up, it will ask what kind of inputs you have. If you select antenna w/dish, it will then ask for your zip code. Based on the zip code, it will provide guide information for your area channels along with dish information in one seamless guide. It knows when to switch between the two.
Wow. That's all I needed to know. Thanks.
Old 10-21-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does the ReplayTV send back any info on what you are watching (or what subscription you have) to either ReplayTV Inc or the satellite provider? I know with Tivo I have disabled the option of it sending back stuff to Tivo headquarters. Is this problem present with ReplayTV too?
Old 10-21-03, 07:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Based on the recommendations of those in this thread and others, I had DirectTV installed just yesterday. I'm quite impressed with it so far, but I was disappointed to discover that they don't carry G4. How else am I going to get to see blurry video of 2 year old video games?!?
Old 10-23-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am considering DirecTV over cable. I have a 16:9 projection tv with the dual tuner side by side picture (POP). Is DirecTV compatible with this, i.e. can I watch two football games at once?

Also, how is HD with DirecTV? I know I can get the special receiver and install for $399. What channels can I get?
Old 10-23-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by taa455
I am considering DirecTV over cable. I have a 16:9 projection tv with the dual tuner side by side picture (POP). Is DirecTV compatible with this, i.e. can I watch two football games at once?

Also, how is HD with DirecTV? I know I can get the special receiver and install for $399. What channels can I get?
Yup, if you get a DirecTivo dual-tuner receiver, you can watch 2 games at once side by side.

As for HD, it's great wherever it is. I have DishNetwork for HD because they have CBS in HD as well. The available channels on Directv are :

HBOHD, SHOHD, ESPN-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HDPPV and DiscoveryHD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.