Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed 10/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 08:23 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Ed 10/15

Decent episode tonight. The Ed/Carol quarrel was a bit overhyped (as always) from last week's previews. The historical Stuckeyville event was a bit corny, but enjoyable nonetheless. Good to see Eli smiling all the time over his new lady friend and her pies.

This season needs more Warren P. Cheswick though!
Old 10-15-03, 10:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carol said that the "Dylan Clark" thing was something that "she didn't want to live through again."

So why does she keep and read the letters he wrote to her?!

So. Stupid.

And this season needs more Diane (Ginnifer Goodwin). But she was off making a movie... that probably got in the way of Ed. She and Mark are still together, right?

And I think the promo guys have a contest going in which they must make every promo more weighty than the last. Sheesh.
Old 10-15-03, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this show is losing it....the only reason I still watch is because of warren, phil stubbs and the hilarious docta. Ed's still money too, him and carol's relationship is going overboard
Old 10-16-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not very interesting. I found myself not caring one bit about General Stuckey, Dylan Clark, Mike & Nancy's past, and especially the useless Pie Lady. Even Mike seemed off tonight.
For a while I thought it was going to be a send-up of nonsensical protests against the most innocuous of things, but it wasn't even that smart.

Honk!

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 10-16-03 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-16-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Ed 10/15

Originally posted by Geofferson

This season needs more Warren P. Cheswick though!
This season needs Dr. Jerome.
Old 10-16-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Add another person to the side that thinks Ed seems to be going downhill. I found myself clicking around and not really interested in what was happening. I really don't want to hear anyone on that show say "pie" anymore. I really don't think it's just because Ed and Carol are together, it just doesn't seem nearly as well written as it has and the stories they are going for aren't that interesting. I don't think I'd ever just stop watching, but if this show leaves my "must see tv" list, I'll be down to one drama, Alias, and one comedy, Friends.*

*Not counting the Sopranos because I have no idea when it's even going to be on again.
Old 10-16-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm telling you - it's the Moonlight-effect. As soon as the main lead characters get together, the chemistry's gone; the driving force is gone. It doesn't matter how creative the writers are, it's just not as charming anymore. Unless they breakup Ed and Carol, this will be the last season for Ed. And even then, it's not a guarantee.
Old 10-16-03, 03:01 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
meh

The whole Dylan thing was stupid and the fight was overblown in the previews as always.

If it wasn't for Mike this show would be nearly unwatchable
Old 10-16-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really poor episode. Who cares about the history of Stuckeyville? Another one of Carol's exes? Who cares? Pies! Pies! Pies! Gimme a break!

Keep this up and Ed is headed for cancellation. What happened to the writing from the first season? The show is getting more irrelevant with every episode. Shirley is wasted and Stubbs makes an occasional brief appearance. Nancy used to do funny, odd things. Now, she's like wallpaper. Gosh, somebody get this show back on track.
Old 10-16-03, 07:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by dolphinboy
I really don't want to hear anyone on that show say "pie" anymore.
YES. How many pie storylines can they think up?

Oh, man, I probably shouldn't tempt fate like that.
Old 10-16-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
(quick synopsis for those who didn't quite catch it)

Much ado about nothing.

Ed's curiosity gets the better of him when he finds out that Carol has love letters from a flame in college before Nick. Ed tracks down the old flame, Dylan (who is misinformed by Ed of her current situation), and Dylan contacts Carol out of the blue, and sets off a tone of mistrust between Ed and Carol. Of course, this doesn't make Carol all that happy, and finally she just tosses a small stack of letters to Ed to just clear the slate. Ed feels really really small about the whole ordeal. Finally after his court case, Ed decides to leave the past in the past and hands back the letters unread.

The court case was the typical storyline of a town's history being based on a lie, threatens to destroy a direct descendant's place in the town, but then Ed put a different spin on the events, and a new tradition is born.

Eli's making headway with the pie lady.

It was an average Ed episode, but still more entertaining that other average shows.
Old 10-16-03, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Patman
It was an average Ed episode, but still more entertaining than other average shows.
Exactly. Even after so-so episodes like last night's, this show is still better than 95% of other shows out there.
Old 10-16-03, 10:00 AM

Anyone else notice how when Ed sat down to contemplate on whether or not to read the letters that he then went to his pad of paper and started writing - but they never went back to that - never showed what he wrote or mentioned it later on at all.

I hope that they break Ed & Carol up soon during sweeps or something.
Old 10-16-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They really need to stop meeting other people in the town. I still like Nancy and Mike's fight (the spacesuit ) but everything else is pretty blah.
Old 10-16-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ed was just formulating his "Sacrifice Flyball" defense once he started writing on his legal pad.
Old 10-16-03, 10:57 AM

AHhh..good call.
Old 10-16-03, 11:47 AM

things 'Ed' producers need to do:

1. Less pies.
2. More Cheswick
3. Bring back Carol's sister for some Cheswick/Carol conflict.
4. More Dr. Mike v. Dr. Jerome
5. Have i mentioned less pies?
Old 10-16-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More $10 bets.
Old 10-16-03, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

It definitely seems like Ed is losing some steam. There is too much focus being placed on Ed/Carol and not enough on anybody else. Dr. Jerome, Warren, Mark, Molly, Phil and so on have been all but absent so far this season. Couldn't Dr. Jerome been factored into the re-enactment in some way? They have such an amazing ensemble cast that it seems foolish to relegate them to side roles while Ed & Carol's relationship takes the center square each week in "a very special episode".

Questions...

1. Is Molly still together with the fireman? It hasn't been addressed yet.

2. Does Mike even work anymore? Every episode this season has him with Ed or Nancy but not at work.

Considering the Wednesday night competition, the creative minds behind the show have got to step up. I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't want to regret Ed being renewed for a 4th season.

And yes, for goodness sake, no more pie.
Old 10-16-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Ed 10/15

Originally posted by D-Ball
This season needs Dr. Jerome.
Every season needs Dr. Jerome. Every show needs Dr. Jerome I forget what happened the last episode I saw him in. Did he leave again, or are he and Mike still partners? He's in and out so much I lose track. Even in the first season they wouldn't use him in every episode.

I haven't watched last night's episode yet. You guys aren't giving me much to look forward to I don't think Ed is at its strongest when they get hung up on dramatic plots. They need to do more work related plots. I usually like Ed's court cases, and Carol's easy to stick in a high school plot. They don't need to break them up, just don't have them dominate every episode.

Last edited by Roto; 10-16-03 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-16-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by oclavlib316
2. Does Mike even work anymore? Every episode this season has him with Ed or Nancy but not at work.
Who needs to go to the doctor when they are all busy eating pie?
Old 10-16-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ed 10/15

Originally posted by Roto
Every season needs Dr. Jerome. Every show needs Dr. Jerome I forget what happened the last episode I saw him in. Did he leave again, or are he and Mike still partners? He's in and out so much I lose track. Even in the first season they wouldn't use him in every episode.
Dr. Jerome is what got me hooked on the show. I watched the first episode with little interest, I wasn't looking to get into a quirky show, but his irascible sarcasm against Dr. Mike was hilarious. For instance, Mike came in a few minutes late and Dr. Jerome was on the phone. He told Mike the call was for him, and when Mike took the receiver it was the recording with the automated time. In the same episode, Nancy was visiting Mike in the examination room, when Dr. Jerome burst in with two folding chairs and a plate of sandwiches.

More Dr. Jerome!
More Phil!
More Shirley!
More Cheswick!
Begone Eli!
Begone Pie Lady!

Honk!
Old 10-16-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dr. Jerome. I hated that guy so I don't miss him at all.

And why did the actor who played one of the guys working at Stuckeybowl leave Ed anyway? Is he working? He, Shirley, and Stubbs made quite a team.
Old 10-17-03, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by big whoppa
And why did the actor who played one of the guys working at Stuckeybowl leave Ed anyway? Is he working? He, Shirley, and Stubbs made quite a team.
I never did hear an official word on his departure. Eli has filled his shoes nicely though.
Old 10-17-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mike Starr (Kenny) shows up a lot in a guest-star capacity. Just last week he was on The Handler.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.