Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Average Joe previews on NBC........

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Average Joe previews on NBC........

I hate reality shows, but this one, for whatever reason looks hilarious!
Old 10-14-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Joe Schmo meets For Love or Social Standing...
Old 11-03-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was listening to Bob & Tom this morning (a syndicated radio show), they had one of the guys on. I only heard a part of what he was saying, but he said that the show was advertised as looking for guys who were "the life of the party". After a month of test, interviews with shrinks, background checks, etc it was told to him that it was a dating show. He didn't want to do it, but his coworkers (at National Lampoon!) convinced him to do it, and he ended up having a good time. So none of the guys had any idea that they were being cast as a goofball.

I love his quote (paraphrased), "the casting seems like it wasn't done by NBC, rather it was done by P.T. Barnum".

The show is going up against Monday Night Football. The hope is that a lot of women will watch it because, after all, women tend to like to see other women in bad situations (per the DJs, kind of makes sense).

By the way, the girl is a former Miss Missouri and a Kansas City chearleader. She thought she was going on a show like "The Bachelorette" and supposedly is very visibly disapointed with her choices.

But... remember that all of the guys were cast on two qualities: Their bad (or goofy) looks, and being "the life of the party". And there were unlimited amounts of alcohol where they were staying...

Looks interesting, I'll catch the first night (tonight?) just to see looks on everybody's faces when it dawns on them what the catch of the show is.
Old 11-03-03, 10:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'll give it a shot...the previews are pretty funny. I'm guessing that the clip where the girl says "I think the man for me might be here" was probably recorded before she met the men.

I think this would work better in reverse (good-looking guy, plain girls). Women tend to be less shallow about looks than men.
Old 11-03-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I'm recording it. Can't be worse than Joe Millionaire that's for sure.
Old 11-03-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Revenge of the Nerds meets reality TV. Gotta love it!
Old 11-03-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I'll give it a shot...the previews are pretty funny. I'm guessing that the clip where the girl says "I think the man for me might be here" was probably recorded before she met the men.

I think this would work better in reverse (good-looking guy, plain girls). Women tend to be less shallow about looks than men.
I think that's why it probably wouldn't work as well with a guy. But if it's a good show I hope they do reverse it for another season. I thought some of the promos were pretty funny. The one that sticks out in my head was after she kissed the guy with the beard he turns away and makes a "hot" motion with his hand. So uncool

Last edited by Roto; 11-04-03 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-03-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Good-looking guy + multiple plain/ugly girls would never work.

The one that has not been done is ugly guy (who supposedly has millions) + multiple hot chicks. That is the one that I am dying to see.
Old 11-03-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of you might be qualified to get on this show.

Joe Millionaire is enough for me. I'm not adding this to my recording list.
Old 11-03-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Good-looking guy + multiple plain/ugly girls would never work.

The one that has not been done is ugly guy (who supposedly has millions) + multiple hot chicks. That is the one that I am dying to see.
That's what I originally thought Joe Millionaire would be. I mean, hell even if he's not loaded, he's still good-looking.

I'll probably check this show out, just to see if these guys actually stand a chance with her.
Old 11-03-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Achtung
...I'll probably check this show out, just to see if these guys actually stand a chance with her.
They all can't be complete dogs, but we'll see. And remember that they were all recruited for being "the life of the party" (so they should be funny & outgoing), and there is unlimited alcohol.
Old 11-03-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really dogs. Just average at best in the looks dept. I saw photos of the Joes.
Old 11-03-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
What a group.

Did Dennis seriously do the Louis Skolnick, Revenge of the Nerds laugh?
Old 11-03-03, 09:58 PM

"We don't have enough plates."

"Do you like broccoli?"

I read that Malena ran out into the desert before composing herself. They also had a backup girl in case she didn't come back. I wouldn't be surprised if some guys eliminated were not her choices. She got rid of more normal looking guys right away.

Last edited by Hannibal; 11-03-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
"You're a sweetheart." Ahhhhhhhhhh! I hate being called that.

And those guys had no make-up on. I guess to emphasize their averageness.

Last edited by DJLinus; 11-03-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal
[BI read that Malena ran out into the desert before composing herself. They also had a backup girl in case she didn't come back.[/B]

ha ha

one of the guys: "hey, that's not the girl we met when we got off the bus!"

kathy griffen: "yeah, the first girl was so freaked out by you losers that she risked her life by running away into the desert. this is the understudy."

Old 11-04-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the early previews for this.. but the most recent one revealed the reason why i won't watch the show:

Kathy Griffin

It's like Andy Dick with a red wig. It makes the show completely unwatchable for me.
Old 11-04-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, it was an interesting show. And the guys weren't all complete dorks, some were, I think, decent looking (upper side of average).

"Do you like broccali? ... I'm Indian, I don't like green fruits" (I'm pretty sure he said fruit, even though the guy is a college prof at 21).

It does look like a fun crowd, like I said above they were all recruited for being "the life of the party".
Old 11-04-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I liked the early previews for this.. but the most recent one revealed the reason why i won't watch the show:

Kathy Griffin
If it matters, she was only on for maybe a minute or two total, and even then she was rather sedate.
Old 11-04-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Heat
"Do you like broccali? ... I'm Indian, I don't like green fruits" (I'm pretty sure he said fruit, even though the guy is a college prof at 21).
I thought he said, "green foods."
Old 11-04-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, and doesn't the preview for upcoming episodes make it seem like a pretty-boy (maybe the one from the limo) will be entering the game?
Old 11-04-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's too much "coverage" in this show to take it seriously (in terms of camera angles and being able to capture people's reactions to situations). I suspect a lot of it is scripted, just the feel I get.

I did find some good LOL bits in the show, and some predictable stuff (like Zach picking on the short guy and broke an egg on his head).

At least Malena give a valiant effort in her first night meeting the guys. I can't blame her for taking some time after the initial shock of meeting guys out of her league, and re-composing herself for the rest of the evening.

Kathy Griffin needs to go. Ugh. I'm glad I'm recording this show, and not watching it in HD.

I felt bad for the diving board at the pool. Whew...

Malena must be making some money for simply showing up for this show. I did notice that the fine print at the end of the credits admitted that some of the contestants had been paid to appear on the show.

It would be cruel if they brought in some "better looking" contestants to make the average joe's feel bad, and to tempt Malena in the event she makes a connection with the average joe's, but behind door #3, she can have a better looking guy, setting up the choice between looks on the outside, and personality/heart/etc. on the inside.
Old 11-04-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman

It would be cruel if they brought in some "better looking" contestants to make the average joe's feel bad, and to tempt Malena in the event she makes a connection with the average joe's, but behind door #3, she can have a better looking guy, setting up the choice between looks on the outside, and personality/heart/etc. on the inside.
Spoiler:
I think that's the twist. They'll bring in somebody just for looks and really see if personality is more important to her.
Old 11-04-03, 08:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by DJLinus
And those guys had no make-up on. I guess to emphasize their averageness.
I noticed that too. They should trot Malena out with no makeup under those lights just to be fair.

Zach looks like Chris Klein on steroids.
Old 11-04-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
You could tell those guys were really nervous when they first met her. I've never seen some many tongue-tied guys in one place before in my life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.