Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

It's all Relative

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all Relative

I caught that new show It's all Relative last night and really liked it. I thought the writing for the show was good. It really cracked me up. They had a bunch of funny lines. Did anybody see it?
Old 10-02-03, 09:16 AM

I saw this and thought it was decent.

I actually really like Harriet Sansom Harris from when she was Frasier's agent and then as Ms. Sammy Jankis in Memento.

There were some funny jokes. I'll probably give it another shot.
Old 10-02-03, 04:28 PM
Suspended

I thought it was funny.
Old 10-03-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really thought it was kind of lame:

- The Boston accents were awful. As soon as I heard the mother speak I just whispered aloud "Oh no...". I mean we only need ONE minor character to do it well to know the setting is Boston (See Cliff on Cheers as a good example).

- The characters are all so "stock". I thought by the end that the show was at best a retooling of Dharma & Greg with Susie's parents being a "gay" version of Greg's. Of course this comparison was BOUND to happen with this sitcom formula, but the patent snootiness that came from a lot of the "gay toned" exchanges just felt SO trite to me.

- Some originality please? This was little more than a 30-minute version of The Birdcage without Elaine May and Mike Nichols' brilliant witty banter and exchanges. Which leads to...

- Where is the comedy? If you're going to do a sitcom that is going to be a series version of an established premise AT LEAST inject some unique and FUNNY humor please?

Overall I would say this show isn't a complete bomb. This was afterall a pilot episode so it has no where to go but up. Most of the acting wasn't terrrible... insert HORRIBLE ABC sitcom example here. HOWEVER, this IS an ABC sitcom. How much of an envelope are we expecting to be pushed here with a show that is a) on the ABC/Disney "family network" and b) airing in the 8 o'clock primetime hour how risque can the show get? Anyone remember "Normal, Ohio"? That was on FOX and didn't get very risky. This is ABC!

I applaud the show for taking the chance and look forward to seeing it grow. But it has a tough road ahead to escape the burial ground of gay-themed sitcoms (see "Normal, Ohio", "The Ellen Show", etc.).
Old 10-03-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got around to watching it last night. It started off very poorly but got better near the end, and I found I laughed out loud at a couple of the jokes. I'll probably give it a second episode just to see if they've done anything more, but I can't see myself sticking with it.

das
Old 10-03-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It wasn't as stale as I worried it might be, but it's not particularly great so far either. It's a very tired premise... They'll have to do something new with it to make it worthwhile...

That said, I'll be watching every episode, for as long as it lasts... I love John Benjamin Hickey and Christopher Sieber...

With maybe 90% of gay male Hollywood still in the closet, this is the first time two openly gay actors have ever played an actual couple on TV, as far as I can remember... I'm enjoying the hell out of it...
Old 10-09-03, 09:24 AM

Bump.

Saw it last night. Laughed really hard when Bobby's parents walked in on Liz naked.
Old 10-09-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by javanut
Saw it last night. Laughed really hard when Bobby's parents walked in on Liz naked.
A "one up" from the Rachel situation with Joshua's parents a few seasons back on Friends. (She ended up going out to dinner with them in her lingerie - CLASSIC.)

This show is SO tired. Last night's episode again could have been a recycled Dharma & Greg script with gay dads thrown in to freshen it. The show is only funny because the acting is pretty decent. There were several funny acting moments (e.g. Liz trying to pose seductively on the butcherblock and slipping). But jokes that don't make sense like "a family tree with fruit on it" (it has been established that NEITHER guy is Liz's biological parent) only show how sloppy this project really is. Chuck Lorre would have made this show work. Right now it is floundering.

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-09-03 at 09:51 AM.