Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 10/1/03 Season Premiere

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the Lex subplot was awesome. It was basically set up to show the pschotic side of lex and that he will do anything to stay ahead. Amen to whoever said that the cave and that damn octagon is getting just plain stupid. Only things I want from this season is no cave scenes and no more red kryptonite after 2nd episode.

P.S Demand Chloe to grow her hair.
Old 10-02-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the episode was "ehh.." at best.
It didn't really do much....everything major that happened in that episode was pretty much layed out in the 30 sec commercial. Except for the very end when we see SuperDad, nothing happened.

It could just be that they're setting up for bigger things, and I'm fairly certain that's it. So I'll just wait and find out what happens.

I'm glad its back, but I wouldn't go as far as some have and says its better than the Tornado episode.

And Lana is still the most annoying person on TV....though Sydney Bristow is catching up. And Chloe needs to regrow here hair, I love Allison Mack, but that hair looks horrible.
Old 10-03-03, 01:58 AM

I'm a fan of the show, but this was a pretty weak opener....

1. Lex subplot... cliche and poorly done.

2. Helen... they completely changed her character.. she's a medical doctor. I figured Lionel somehow talked her into it, but now she's marrying and murdering people for money?

4. Enough with the freakin octogonal piece and the cave! The writers just invent a new thing for the cave to do whenever the script requires. Now it can give superpowers to humans? I'm surprised the cave doesn't have the ability to heal people.

3. While seeing Clark rob banks, atm machines, and private vaults is kind of fun it presents some problems. Its already been mentioned, but could use repeating; how is Clark going to deal with what he did? Does anyone here know what kind of prison sentence someone would get for robbing banks, atms, and attacking a police force? He knew what he was doing too. Throughout the episode he took the ring off and then put it right back on.

- I'm sure Clark will just put the octogonal piece into the cave again and it will fix everything.

Last edited by Astro; 10-03-03 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-03-03, 09:04 AM
Cat

Originally posted by Astro

3. While seeing Clark rob banks, atm machines, and private vaults is kind of fun it presents some problems. Its already been mentioned, but could use repeating; how is Clark going to deal with what he did? Does anyone here know what kind of prison sentence someone would get for robbing banks, atms, and attacking a police force? He knew what he was doing too. Throughout the episode he took the ring off and then put it right back on.
They will probably just brush this away, but ATM machines have cameras and you know that Lionel Luthor has cameras in his office. Clark is going to be on every wanted poster in Metropolis.

Cat
Old 10-03-03, 02:58 PM
Suspended

This was my main problem too many people are seeing Clark in Metropolis or Cal doing his superpower thing. Now a few years down the road here comes clark as Supes and no one remembers him? Or at least someone doing all these amazing feats and having gun battles with the police? They should have had clark go to california or somewhere else. Also you make a good point with Clark's responsibiility for his actions, he is somewhat in control, it would've made more sense if he did not take the ring off and it ultimately took him over. But maybe his penance for his action will be to become the ultimate Gaurdian for the city.
Old 10-03-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,534 Posts
Ah, by the time Clark becomes Superman, there will be enough supervillains around to take the blame off of him. I mean, any kryptonite-induced lunatic might have the same powers, right? Now Rutger Hauer being able to track him down doesn't bode well...

The three month delay did shock me, though... I thought they would catch Clark before he could do much damage. But he's obviously done a lot in the past three months, including a lot of illegal stuff. The only things they seemed to keep him away from was killing and sex (since he never went home with any women).
Old 10-03-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fujishig
Now Rutger Hauer being able to track him down doesn't bode well...
If the history of this show is any indication, I doubt Morgan Edge (Hauer) will be either around or in a condition to do anything about Clark's identity.
Old 10-03-03, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I'm sure Clark doesn't have to worry about his identity...

Rutger will probably die in the next episode.

I think we can assume Clark destroyed the cameras in the ATM machines when he broke into them. Why he didn't just rob the ATM's at superspeed? Who knows, I guess red kryptonite makes Clark lazy.

As for Lionel having security cameras and such... Doesn't Lionel already know about Clark's powers? Lionel had the "file", the refined kryptonite, and was witness to Clark doing ... super stuff (assuming he didn't regain his vision in-between episodes). He might be surprised to see Johnathan there though.

I was more interested in how Clark would deal with what he did, let alone what his parents would do. You'd expect Pa Kent to spend the entire season lecturing Clark on what he did wrong.
Old 10-05-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally got around to this and was pretty disappointed. This episode was all over the map in terms of music and editing and felt very disjointed like someone came in at the last minute and slapped new score and music onto everything.

I agree with a lot of Astro's points. I'm fine suspending some disbelief, but this premiere was just silly in a lot of points: the bank robbing, the dufflebags of cash, wandering in and out of Lionel's office without anyone noticing, the whole Lex thing, Helen now a daytime soap character ... it just wasn't very good. I was very impressed with the growth they showed last season, but I fear they may be pissing a lot of it away with this new season. Hopefully they can get back on track with the next episode. If they deal with what's happened, I'll be willing to cut them some slack, but if they just hit the Reset Button, I'll be very unimpressed.

das
Old 10-05-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
Finally got around to this and was pretty disappointed. This episode was all over the map in terms of music and editing and felt very disjointed like someone came in at the last minute and slapped new score and music onto everything.

I agree with a lot of Astro's points. I'm fine suspending some disbelief, but this premiere was just silly in a lot of points: the bank robbing, the dufflebags of cash, wandering in and out of Lionel's office without anyone noticing, the whole Lex thing, Helen now a daytime soap character ... it just wasn't very good. I was very impressed with the growth they showed last season, but I fear they may be pissing a lot of it away with this new season. Hopefully they can get back on track with the next episode. If they deal with what's happened, I'll be willing to cut them some slack, but if they just hit the Reset Button, I'll be very unimpressed.

das
Same thoughts I've been having over the last couple of days. Of course I've been watching the S1 repeats on Sundays (I missed most of the first two seasons... 24 took presidence over Smallville) but I thought this opener was a bit strange.

What are they going to do when this show ends and they reset as a Superman show (should it go that way) about these events?
Old 10-06-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Astro
I'm surprised the cave doesn't have the ability to heal people.
Only the ship can heal / impregnate people, remember?

Just got around to seeing it, and I really liked the Metropolis scenes, REALLY hated the Cast Away scenes. Are they going to explain how he survived the crash? And I guess Helen's heel turn happened off-screen, and we're just going to have to accept she's villianous now? Pretty lame.

I'm sure Clark will beat himself up a bit over the crime wave, but they'll write it off, or he'll do some community service and that'll be the end of it.

This episode made me officially join the "Chloe is better than Lana" camp. The writers sure don't do Kristin Kreuk any favors, she is so one-dimensional.

Maybe Edge can follow Clark down into the caves, and then a piece of the roof can fall and hit him in the head, causing amnesia, just like King Tut on the old Batman show.
Old 10-06-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DGibFen
What are they going to do when this show ends and they reset as a Superman show (should it go that way) about these events?
Let's see... Clark is supposed to be what? A junior or senior in high school? He still has about 7 years to go before he becomes Superman. I doubt Smallville will be around by then anyway.
Old 10-09-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally watched this and I was pretty disappointed. I am so over the bad Clark/red kryptonite thing, not to mention the cave and the octagon. And for good measure they threw in the Kents about to lose their farm. When have they not been in danger of losing the farm on this show? Methinks Papa Kent needs to grow some different crops, this farming thing isn't working for him.

The Lex sub-plot was just bad. When the camera first zoomed in on the island from up above, and focused in on Lex's eye, I thought I was watching the opening credits for "John Doe". It would have been funny if Lex woke up with knowledge of everything in the world, except who he was.

I also thought it would have been funny at the end if Lex realized he was hitting his machete against a volleyball instead of a pile of dirt.
Old 10-10-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was in the second part of the season premier, but in one of the scenes in the cave, one of the drawings looked to me (at least for the first moment I saw it) like Wilson. It did remind me of the "Cast Away" thing with Lex.