What's The Most Hated Sitcom Here?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-22-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just wondering what pretty much everyone here at TV Talk considers to be this forum's most loathed/hated/detested sitcom (not drama) currently on television? Excluding the new Fall shows, which I'm sure there will be quite a few, my question is regarding the ones that have been around for at least one full season.

Based on a lot of opinions here, I'm assuming almost everyone would be in total agreement with me that Will & Grace would take the coveted #1 spot.

Would I be right in that assumption?
Old 09-22-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't really hate that show. I watch it when nothing else is on, but i'm guessing there are worse shows. However, since they get no attention they might not ellicit the hate a more popular show might
Old 09-22-03, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. It's hard to work up hatred for something like One on One, or Reba, or any of those generic crappy WB/UPN sitcoms that nobody ever talks about. But I completely loathe Everybody Loves Raymond and Friends. So popular. So very, very not funny.
Old 09-22-03, 08:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That one on UPN.

Just pick one, it doesn't matter.
Old 09-22-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i dont hate it, but what about Frasier? people talk about it like its hilarious, I dont think I've ever laughed watching that show
Old 09-22-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ANYTHING on network tv.
Old 09-22-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I basically hate ALL sitcoms. I LOATHE the format. Unreal dialogue only formated in phrases to set up predictable punchlines & then a computerized laugh track or a sign that tells a live audience to laugh whether it's funny or not. Obviously I'm wrong since people watch them like they need them to survive, but I just don't get it.

That said Friends is the most annoying & my most hated of any sitcom (or at least the few I've seen). Mostly b/c the characters are SOOOO annoying. If I knew someone that was like the blond haired chick on the show, I would make fun of her until she cried. If I knew someone like Ross(?) I'd beat him up & pick on him non-stop. How can people find someone that whiny to be funny is just beyond me. Now if this show lasted one year, I would not hate it so much. But the fact that it's been around so long & I think even won awards. And MAINLY that girls absolutely worship this show & schedule whatever night it's on around it just makes me hate it as well as puzzled by it even more.

Last edited by Sessa17; 09-22-03 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand how you can even get to the point of knowing what your most hated sitcom would be. If I watch a show once or twice and don't like it, I don't keep watching it. The only time I've seen Will & Grace was while I was in Japan and it was the only English language show on. I still saw only one episode. Life is too short...besides, I have that much more time to devote to DVD Talk.
Old 09-22-03, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Well, I usually don't far enough into a show to "hate" it. If I don't like something I usually turn it off.

That said, there are some pretty bad stinkers on this year, which people seem to like for various reasons. My Wife and Kids is pretty bad.
Old 09-22-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
W&G is my most hated. And was actually one of my favorites at one point. But somewhere between Woody Harrelson and Harry Connick Jr. the show turned to complete shit in my opinion.
Old 09-22-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Numanoid •<HR SIZE=1>I don't understand how you can even get to the point of knowing what your most hated sitcom would be. If I watch a show once or twice and don't like it, I don't keep watching it.<HR SIZE=1>

Kids today ...

I'd have to give it some thought, but Will & Grace is a top contender. Why do I hate it? Because it's the shining example of putting together a great year of television, and then flipping on the autopilot and riding it for years on the guarantee that the audience is too lazy to find something better. Much like Frasier, it was fresh and funny ... was. It's hard to fault the show too much, though, since it's the audience's fault for tuning in week after week after week for the same fomulaic jokes over and over and over. It's representative of our frustrating complacency with familiarity and mediocrity.

das
Old 09-22-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
I'm getting awfully tired of W&G as well, but there are still funny (at least on occasion). They'll throw in the occasional cheeky jokes and the cast is pretty good. The casting stunts are excrutiating (Michael Douglas gay? Puh-llease!) I can't fault people for getting sick of it, but there's so much worse on TV, you need to hate with better eyes than that (to steal a James Cameron line).

My vote is a dead tie for two CBS $hitcoms, Yes, Dear and Still Standing. Both are excrutiatingly unfunny, amaturish and obnoxious. Yet they get renewed and Andy Richter gets the boot -- go figure. I'd also throw According to Jim in the mix if not for my eternal weakness for Courtney Thorn-Smith. I've carried a torch for her for over 15 years and one dreadful show (or several for that matter) isn't going to change that.
Old 09-22-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

W&G is my most hated, but only by a slim margin. I'd have to say Yes, Dear is a close second followed by any one of those UPN sitcoms.
Old 09-22-03, 11:37 PM

Everybody Loves Raymond is my #1 most hated show. I LOATHE that show.

Will and Grace is not far behind.

How do I see them enough to hate them? Well, I have a girlfriend and a mother and have been in situations/rooms where the shows were on and there wasn't exactly a good escape plan available. Doesn't take too many eps of either to build up the ol' hatred levels.
Old 09-23-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like W&G.

I hate "Frasier". And I don't just hate the show, but every cast member on the show, I hate them too. And I don't just hate them as actors, I hate them personally too. And I don't just hate them personally, I hate their families & pets too. See how deep my hatred runs? It's actually ruined my health, hating "Frasier" as much as I do. My hatred burns so bright, it's subtracted probably twenty years from my life. Every New Year, I resolve to wake up an hour earlier each morning, just so I can hate "Frasier" a little bit longer.

Honk!
Old 09-23-03, 12:26 AM

I hate Seinfeild and Will and Grace
Old 09-23-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The thing about Will & Grace is I actually enjoyed the first season of it. But since then it's become the "Jack & Karen (& Guest Stars)" show, putting the empathis on the two shallowest characters- plus an even shallower caricature of a maid. Thus it's the only sitcom I don't like that I actually have watched enough to form an opinion of.

Of course, my guess is my most hated sitcom will be changing very soon (this Thursday night at 9:27 EST/8:27 CMT to be exact).
Old 09-23-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: What's The Most Hated Sitcom Here?

Originally posted by Chad
Just wondering what pretty much everyone here at TV Talk considers to be this forum's most loathed/hated/detested sitcom (not drama) currently on television?

Based on a lot of opinions here, I'm assuming almost everyone would be in total agreement with me that Will & Grace would take the coveted #1 spot.
Umm...so Chad? The question was - which is "this forum's most loathed/hated/detested sitcom", right?
Old 09-23-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will and Grace and Frasier would probably be at the top of my list. I think W&G would be better if Will and Grace weren't in it. Jack and Karen are hilarious and should be the leads of the show.
Old 09-23-03, 01:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
And MAINLY that girls absolutely worship this show & schedule whatever night it's on around it just makes me hate it as well as puzzled by it even more.
That's hilarious because it's so true! I don't hate the show... I watch it sometimes but not religiously, but I have never understood this phenomenon of "I have to stay home... it's Thursday!" One ex girlfriend and several female friends of mine are like this. What about your VCR? Or buy a TIVO or something!

As for the topic, I can't name many sitcoms I hate anymore because I mostly just stopped watching them, but historically it would have to be Mad About You. That show makes me want to kick puppies and pick on orphans.

Last edited by DRG; 09-23-03 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-23-03, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So many hated sitcoms, so little time.

I hate Will & Grace as much as the next person, but I think that Still Standing is even worse. It is worse than Yes Dear. It is worse than Will & Grace. I have tried to watch it on a couple of occassions, but I just cannot make it through a show. I don't like the kids, and I don't like the wife. Mark Addy is fine, but he can't carry this horrid show.
Old 09-23-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
It's hard to fault the show too much, though, since it's the audience's fault for tuning in week after week after week for the same fomulaic jokes over and over and over. It's representative of our frustrating complacency with familiarity and mediocrity.

das
I take it you still watch the show, or you wouldn't know that it's on auto-pilot. And by still watching it, you are in fact the one to blame for its continued success due to your complacency with familiarity and mediocrity, no? Thank you for beautifully demonstrating your own example. Or do you just blame Nielsen families?
Old 09-23-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

always blame Nielsen families.
Old 09-23-03, 08:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If it's popular, gets critical raves, and wins awards...you can be sure it will be hated here.

I can't really say I hate any show. Simply because if a show doesn't interest me, I don't watch it. And if I'm turned off by what I see, I stop watching immediately, before I've seen enough to formulate an "I hate it" opinion.
Old 09-23-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really hate Full House and the Nanny

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.