Reload this Page >

The shows you hate... but your SO loves

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-07-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So does anyone have a show that they hate, but their significant other watches incessantly? For me, it's my girlfriend's love of Trading Spaces. She's been watching it in another room, and the theme music is stuck in my head now and driving me crazy. I can't complain, since she let me watch football all day, but sometimes I feel like putting TLC on parental lock.
I think my version of Hell will be a Trading Spaces marathon.
Old 09-07-03, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golden Girls and the Nanny
Old 09-07-03, 07:40 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
7th Heaven, The Nanny, Charmed, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Old 09-07-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Game Shows!!!! I hate those!
Old 09-07-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife watches every decorating show on The Discovery Channel and HGTV, and literally every single "Reality" show that has ever been aired on any network.
Old 09-07-03, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Josh Z
My wife watches every decorating show on The Discovery Channel and HGTV, and literally every single "Reality" show that has ever been aired on any network.
Are we married to the same woman?
Old 09-07-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything on HGTV
The Nanny
Designing Women
JAG
Lifetime Movies
Old 09-08-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What Not To Wear (ugh...)
Big Brother (double ugh...)
Boston Public (eye candy at least)
American Idol (the worst)

Thank goodness for Tivo, so she can watch them when I'm not around. She also watches Trading Spaces, but I actually kinda like it. Besides, Paige is hot.
Old 09-08-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Z
Ditto....Some of the decorating shows aren't bad, trying to do for women what Bob Vila did for men, but when TLC has turned in the Trading Spaces channel, it gets really annoying. How many variations on that theme do we need? Not to mention they do 'double shots' and replay the same episodes. AND my wife PVR's them, so there's always one....And my little observation--the original show on the BBC, was only 1/2 hour. Somehow they managed to stretch the US version out to an hour, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

If it's not the decorating shows, it's those 'reality' shows where after every three minutes we have to ask every 'cast member' what they think about the sudden and oh-so-surprising developments. This person plotted against that one; oh, they lied, oh, he got voted out. Hello, if I want backstabbing and scheming and politics, I'll go to work. I watch tv to escape and be entertained....Somehow she started watching one called House Hunters, which she claims is because she wants to see other houses and get ideas. Okay, fine. The irony is--we are buying and selling a house right now. It's not stressful enough planning our own, you have to watch two strangers go through the same thing, and then have it edited to a 30 or 60 minute program, so it only shows *just* enough stress to make it look non-fake?

On the non-reality end, she watches 7th Heaven, which, to me, is about as stereotypical a show as you can get. Neither of us is religious, so that's not the appeal, the dad is whipped all to heck, the mom is a shrewish b*tch, and the kids are all rebellious, spoiled, snotty little punks, especially that whiny little blonde girl. I've watched some things where I don't "like" the character, but I like his/her role in the show; this one, I can't even stand listening to.

As you can probably guess, we don't watch tv much together.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 09-08-03 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-08-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anything on Lifetime.
Old 09-08-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Palaver
Anything on Lifetime.
I'm with you on that one

She's also into any of the Joe Millionare/Bachelors/Who Want's to Marry a...
Old 09-08-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Every single mummy program that ever airs on any channel anywhere.

That's right. Non-stop mummies all the time. Once they go over how they get the brains out I lose interest.

I mean, how much information can there be about mummies?
Old 09-08-03, 10:54 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of a reverse situation for me: I don't mind watching the shows my wife likes, but she can't stand watching sci-fi at all, and she doesn't like 24. I've been trying to get her interested in Babylon 5, but as soon as she sees that there are spaceships involved she tunes it out.
Old 09-08-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Road Rules
Real World
Road Rules vs. Real World

and all those other crap MTV shows. she loves that garbage.
Old 09-08-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a show in particular, but CMT and MTV in general. Ugh.
Old 09-08-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything on "Animal Planet."

Grrrr. I so do not need to watch animals traipsing around their natural habitats.
Old 09-08-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife insists on watching Oprah, Emeril, Trading Spaces, and The View. I let my wife watch her stuff and she lets me watch my stuff, so it works out for the both of us.
Old 09-08-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grunter
Anything on "Animal Planet."

Grrrr. I so do not need to watch animals traipsing around their natural habitats.
I can deal with those; in fact, my parents always used to watch public tv and the 'educational' channels with things like that.
What I don't like is when they de-naturalize it; turn it into America's Funniest Home Animal Videos, complete with idiotic voiceovers just in case we don't see what's so funny about an animal answering the telephone; or the Stupid Animal Tricks ones. Nature's interesting enough by itself.
Old 09-08-03, 01:01 PM
Cat

My fiance doesn't watch too much TV, but when she does it is always something like Trading Spaces or The Bachelor or something like that. I always know when she has been watching TV because my TIVO will record anything on HGTV or TLC because she just leaves it on those channels. I am constantly deleting crap. It won't record what I like, but it will record every Designing Spaces Challenge Reality crap there is!

Cat
Old 09-08-03, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Draven
Every single mummy program that ever airs on any channel anywhere.

That's right. Non-stop mummies all the time. Once they go over how they get the brains out I lose interest.

I mean, how much information can there be about mummies?

My wife loves programs about air disasters. If one is on, she'll find it. She told me that before we met she used to spend Sundays in her pajamas on the couch watching air disaster marathons on Discovery, TLC, etc. She can recite flight numbers, dates, casualty rates. At least it's not The Nanny.
Old 09-08-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Seems like most women watch the same things. My SO watches most of the above mentioned as well.

I used to watch Boston Public, but it got so bad I had to give it up. She watches Animal Planet a lot, but I love animals, so I can handle that. She watches Canadian Idol now, and I can't stand any of the "singers" (in the loosest sense of the world), so I always skip that as well.
Old 09-09-03, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Friends- When I watch that show I long for the extinction of the human race for producing such drivel.

But on the bright side she likes pr0n.
Old 09-09-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

House Hunters kills me.
Old 09-09-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dr. Phil & just about anything on Animal Planet. The rest of the stuff like Trading Spaces I can deal with and sometimes enjoy with her.
Old 09-09-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Danger1313

My wife loves programs about air disasters. If one is on, she'll find it. She told me that before we met she used to spend Sundays in her pajamas on the couch watching air disaster marathons on Discovery, TLC, etc. She can recite flight numbers, dates, casualty rates. At least it's not The Nanny.
That passes the line from 'annoying' to 'bizarre'.
But hey, everyone needs a hobby ; )
And I guess it could be argued that that knowledge is more 'useful' than the random statistics about ballplayers many men [and women] can spit up ad nauseum.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.