Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody else rather watch TV shows in marathons, as opposed to weekly?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been watching any of the new Sex and the City episodes. I have been taping all of them...and when I get a bunch of them stock-piled, I'm going to watch them all back to back.

anybody else like watching shows like that as opposed to one episode per week?
Old 07-21-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
It depends on the show. With something like 24, those weekly cliffhangers drive me nuts. That is something I would rather watch all in one sitting. Otherwise, I'm ok with the weekly format, it give me awhile to think about what's happening with the characters and storylines.
Old 07-21-03, 09:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I second 24 - I watched Season 1 on DVD and couldn't imagine waiting a whole week in between those episodes. Needless to say.. I'm eagerly anticipating Season 2 on DVD.

Another show I timeshift is Big Brother. Commiting 3 nights per week is too much, so I just record them all (Tue, Wed, Fri) and then watch them all some time on the weekend.
Old 07-21-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
With timeshifting via Tivo/ReplayTV, I find shows piling up more and more. The biggest downside, to me at least, is that if I wait too long, I'm left out of the discussion on this board!
Old 07-21-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sometimes I simply can't watch shows on week nights, so I will just tell my ReplayTVs to record 3 hours of episodes, and once that time rolls around, I'll get back on my butt, and watch 2-3 episodes at a time to catch up so that when my ReplayTVs record that 4th episode, I'll have already watch the first in the queue before it gets recorded over. I did this with "Dead Like Me" and "Striperella" this weekend. I'm doing the same with "Curb Your Enthusiasm" repeats by watching 2 weeks' worth at a time (4 episodes).
Old 07-21-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm waiting for ABC family to do a 2 day Alias marathon
Old 07-21-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At the end of 2001, I hadn't watched more than 2 or 3 full episodes of "ER' throughout its entire run. One Thursday I watched, and became a regular viewer. Every weekday morning, TNT shows two episodes, so I started watching those as well. At ten episodes a week, I was able to watch a full season within three weeks. In just a few months, I had seen every episode.

Another show I watched in bulk was "The Sopranos". I watched the first three seasons on video, getting through each season in a matter of days. When I decided to get HBO to watch season four, I had to adjust myself to watching only one episode weekly.

As for "Sex and the City", that is one show I could not watch in large blocks. One episode per week is enough for me. Those chicks annoy me after a while.

Honk!
Old 07-21-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer marathons, but I often don't have the patience for it. However, sometimes I do wait and tape things, or pick up full seasons on DVD (like SFU Season One) that I might have missed during the original airing...
Old 07-21-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Yup, I much prefer to watch a ton of tv (same show) and then not watch anything else for a while--7 hours in one day instead of one hour for seven days. I did that with 24, Angel, The Shield and Sports Night. Now I'm rewatching Babylon 5 that way off my Tivo--every week I have 5 episodes for Friday night.

tasha
Old 07-21-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love marathons. Its great to sit down and watch hours of your favorite shows. Whenever I stumble upon a cheezy "Real World" marathon on MTV, I have to watch them all!
Old 07-22-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah. I buy TV shows season DVD and watch episodes in bunches at a time. It's better to watch them in marathon for those shows that have continuity so it's easier to see how the story evolve over time.
Old 07-22-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to watch 2 or 3 hours of a show at a time, about the same time as watching a movie.

I watch stuff after I cut out all the ads, makes for a much better viewing experience.

My wife loves watching Monk on DVD after it has been edited.
Old 07-22-03, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by thecrazydude
Whenever I stumble upon a cheezy "Real World" marathon on MTV, I have to watch them all!
agreed. the real world in marathon-form is like crack.
Old 07-22-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife and I watched both seasons 1 and 2 of '24' in marathon fashion. Season 1 was fine and we really enjoyed continuing on and on with the story, but season 2 dragged on a little bit and we probably will watch that one in 'real time'.