TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 Season 3 information - possible spoilers

Old 06-25-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

24 Season 3 To Take Place 2- 2 1/2 Years After Season 2

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - In its season finale, ABC's espionage romp "Alias" appeared to leap ahead two years in time. When it returns this fall for its third season, FOX's espionage thriller "24" plans a fast-forward of its own.

In the final moments of season two -- during which anti-terrorist agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) had 24 hours (and 24 episodes) to prevent a nuclear-bomb attack on Los Angeles -- Mandy (Mia Kirshner), an assassin from the beginning of season one, suddenly reappeared. Pushing her way through a cheering crowd, she gave President David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert) a seemingly innocent handshake.

Within moments, a substance transferred via a plastic sheet on Mandy's palm caused Palmer to drop to the ground in pain, apparently poisoned or infected. Meanwhile, Bauer, whose heart had stopped while he was being tortured a few episodes earlier, was being wheeled off to the hospital himself, clutching his chest.

All this medical melodrama, though, will be long in the past by the time the show returns.

"It's going to be about two, two-and-a-half years later," says executive producer Howard Gordon. "Many things may have changed. It's a fair amount of time for old wounds to have healed and new ones to have been inflicted."

It has been previously reported that neither Penny Jerald Johnson, who played Mrs. Sherry Palmer, nor Sarah Wynter, who played Kate, a civilian caught up in Jack's adventures, have been signed as a regular for the coming season. Gordon emphasizes that this doesn't necessarily preclude appearances, citing the example of season-one regular Sarah Clarke, who made guest appearances in season two, reprising her role of turncoat agent Nina.

"Nothing is impossible," Gordon says. "In fact, Kate does make an appearance, but she's not been cast as a regular. The same goes for Penny. This is real fluid. They are characters that live in our universe, and it's entirely possible that they'll be back."

Sharp-eyed viewers from season one were no doubt surprised to see the return of Mandy, who managed to romance a photographer (Rudolf Martin), steal his identity and blow up an airliner in the show's pilot.

Over the next few episodes, she got naked in the desert, reunited with a lesbian lover (who got shot) and disappeared -- to reappear in the short-lived CBS series "Wolf Lake."

"We flirted with the idea all season," says Gordon of Mandy's return. "It was more a function of a deal than anything else -- would she come back? I've been looking for her myself."

Meanwhile, "24" has come under criticism from various corners about its depiction of American and world politics. In season one, a plot to assassinate Palmer involved Eastern European and American terrorists and mercenaries. In season two, Islamic fundamentalists were behind the bomb, along with an international cartel with financial motivations.

"What's so funny about it is," Gordon says, "we're trumpeted by the left and the right. I find it really encouraging that it's stimulated debate. This show is politics-neutral. It's about a guy whose unequivocal mission is to stop people from being killed by extreme bad guys or extreme good guys."

"Jack is a deeply moral individualist who inflicts his own personal sense of what's right, which hopefully coincides with our sense of what's right and what we hope we would do, faced with certain extreme situations."
Old 06-25-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can see how they can let the wounds heal ect, but will Palmer still be president.
Old 06-25-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The following takes place between 8 AM and 9 AM the day before the presidential election."
Old 06-25-03, 07:13 PM
mwj

I am happy they are going to give Jack a recuperation period. Still no word on Palmer's fate.
Old 06-25-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i can see this working. if palmer is still alive (i hope) , then he could have some serious consequences from the end of season 2 that could provide constant motivation.
Old 06-27-03, 04:49 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Glad they're time shifting. Gives them much more wiggle room to come up with more goodies. But I sorta wish they'd gone backwards. I'd like to see Jack doing some of those unspeakable things that've made him the cranky badass he is today.

Also, as much as I love Palmer ... doesn't letting him live deflate the impact of the finale? Guess we'll see.
Old 06-27-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
Glad they're time shifting. Gives them much more wiggle room to come up with more goodies. But I sorta wish they'd gone backwards. I'd like to see Jack doing some of those unspeakable things that've made him the cranky badass he is today.
That's for season 4, baby! Plus we get to see how Kim was conceived or whatever. Maybe she turns out to be Nina's baby!
Old 06-28-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I took this from dp2 on thedvdforums.com

There are rumours that they want to try and bring in Donald Sutherland, now that would be cool.

Here's some info from the 24 forums, with the source in brackets

Start Date:
- October, 28, 2003 (estimated)
- May actually start in November
- Filming starts on July 17th

Plot:
- Supposedly "more personal" for Jack (TV Guide)
- "The show's writers are hard at work on a 'very big idea'" (TV Guide)
- Gail Berman has said that "an assassination attempt has been made". She remained deliberately vague on whether Palmer is alive or dead.
- Will involve drug running and trafficing (Television Without Pity)(FilmJerk)

Time frame:
- Two to two and a half years
(Zap2it)

Returning Characters:
- Jack Bauer
- Kate Warner (Not as a regular)
- Kim Bauer
- Tony Almeida
- Michelle Dessler
- Ryan Chappelle
(isitonyet(dot)net)
- Sherry Palmer (Not as a regular)
(Zap2it

New Characters:
- ?(Donald Sutherland)- This is currently being explored, and is only a possibility
(Regis and Kelly)
- Ramon Salazar, hispanic, mid 30's,major narco-terrorist. head of the 'organization'.
- Hector Moya, hispanic, drug baron. elegant gangster from South America.
- Claudia, mid to late 20's, Latina from South America, Hectors g/f. very sexy, and very smart, nobody's fool
(Television Without Pity)(Filmjerk)
- Chase Exen, CTU agent, Jack's new partner. He is a series regular.
(FilmJerk)
Old 06-28-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What do you guys think of the idea of Jack having a partner?
Old 06-28-03, 06:39 PM
mwj

What do you guys think of the idea of Jack having a partner?
I don't like the idea. It would probably degenerate into Lethal Weapon territory. Jack should get help a little at a time and remain solo.
Old 06-28-03, 08:00 PM

I think it could work. Jack and Chase probably won't be joined at the hip for the entire season, and I could see each of them involved in their own little subplots. There's nothing wrong with introducing someone new & interesting for us to root for. I doubt the writers will have them involved in Lethal Weapon-style good-natured bickering. At least I'm desperately hoping against it.
Old 07-13-03, 01:50 PM

A minor casting rumor from Gustave over at Television Without Pity (it hasn't been confirmed by any official-type source, so I don't have any links): D.B. Woodside, who played Principal Wood on season 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer will be joining the cast of 24 for at least the first half of season 3.
Old 07-17-03, 03:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mwj
I don't like the idea. It would probably degenerate into Lethal Weapon territory. Jack should get help a little at a time and remain solo.
An article I read about his partner says the actor playing him would not be a regular. But then again, Michelle wasn't either and she was in every episode.