Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tivo technical question.......(Otto where are you?)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-17-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Will those wireless phone jack things work with a tivo? My phone jack is hella far away and I don't want to run a cord b/c my cats will chew it up. I can get those wireless phone jacks like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1539&scat=1546 for really cheap. Is it worth investing in one of these to not hassle with phone cords?
Old 06-17-03, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, a wireless PHONE jack is useless. You need the wireless MODEM jack like the RCA RC930, also at BB for the same price and rebate -

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...598&e=11033727
Old 06-17-03, 12:28 PM

Re: Tivo technical question.......(Otto where are you?)

Originally posted by Deftones
Will those wireless phone jack things work with a tivo? My phone jack is hella far away and I don't want to run a cord b/c my cats will chew it up. I can get those wireless phone jacks like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1539&scat=1546 for really cheap. Is it worth investing in one of these to not hassle with phone cords?
Actually, yes you can. You can even buy them in the TiVo Store.

http://www.tivofaq.com/index.html?<a...l#wireless</a>

Edit:
BTW, you can also use a USB->Ethernet or USB->802.11b adapter if you have a Series2 TiVo. Series1 TiVo units do not have USB ports.

Although you can hack your Series1 TiVo and throw in a network card but now I'm getting carried away...

Last edited by tsinbad; 06-17-03 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NC-36
No, a wireless PHONE jack is useless. You need the wireless MODEM jack like the RCA RC930, also at BB for the same price and rebate -

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...598&e=11033727
I've been using the RC930 for over two years, seamlessly and perfectly. It's nice not to have to worry about having a telephone jack located behind my entertainment system.

I believe like NC-36 that you need the wireless MODEM system, not the lower-end PHONE system. Essentially the same thing, and often at the same price, but (perhaps) with better bandwidth--remember, this is for computer data transfer...

TiVo modems also have a bad habit of frying due to lightning and phone power surges, and there's a vague consensus on the TiVo forum that the wireless system helps with this slightly... Not that there's any real evidence, or that it's much of an issue outside of lightning-prone areas...

Last edited by adamblast; 06-17-03 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Re: Tivo technical question.......(Otto where are you?)

Originally posted by tsinbad
Actually, yes you can. You can even buy them in the TiVo Store.

http://www.tivofaq.com/index.html?<a...l#wireless</a>

Edit:
BTW, you can also use a USB->Ethernet or USB->802.11b adapter if you have a Series2 TiVo. Series1 TiVo units do not have USB ports.

Although you can hack your Series1 TiVo and throw in a network card but now I'm getting carried away...
I have a Tivo Series 1. I've been toying with the idea of doing the hack w/ the TurboNet card, but I'm afraid. I'm good at computer stuff, but I am scared to crack open the Tivo. Also, I'd have to run a really long ethernet cord to hook it up and I'm not sure I want to do that in my new place. I'm still in the deciding phase. :/
Old 06-18-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cracked open my Tivo to add in a bigger harddrive. It was a bit scary at first, but not that hard once I got the hang of it. I just printed the instructions right off the net and followed them word for word and it worked out fine. Plus there's a whole industry devoted to fixing tivos that users screw up with their tinkering; so go ahead and take the plunge. Better than turbonet, think about going for airnet (that's going to be my next project).
Old 06-18-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the Sony ones seem to fry if you sneeze in the same room

Originally posted by adamblast

TiVo modems also have a bad habit of frying due to lightning and phone power surges, and there's a vague consensus on the TiVo forum that the wireless system helps with this slightly... Not that there's any real evidence, or that it's much of an issue outside of lightning-prone areas...
Old 06-18-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a guy on Ebay who sells the RCA930s (I assume he still does) for $29.99 (or maybe $32.99 buy it now)... which is half price from the Best Buy price. Mine has worked flawlessly. I think they're supposed to be refurbed, but mine certainly looked and worked like brand new. I would definitely go this route. Several of my TiVo friends have gotten them from the same guy and they've never had problems either.

Mordred
Old 06-18-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two questions on this:

---I would need a filter if I have a DSL line, correct?
---A Series 2 DirecTiVo shouldn't have any problems with it?

My old house only has a single phone jack and I'm currently running about a 75ft phone cord from the jack, down the hall, and completely around the edges of my living room to hook up the TiVo.
Old 06-18-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
at least with the Sony tivos you'd need at least one filter, and sometimes they need one plugged into the phone jack and another plugged into the tivo with a phone cord between them to work on a dsl line. And dsl fries the Sony tivo modems very easily

Originally posted by Chew
Two questions on this:

---I would need a filter if I have a DSL line, correct?
---A Series 2 DirecTiVo shouldn't have any problems with it?

My old house only has a single phone jack and I'm currently running about a 75ft phone cord from the jack, down the hall, and completely around the edges of my living room to hook up the TiVo.
Old 06-18-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine also has DSL, and as I said, the 930s works great for me... Yes, I use a filter... I let it broadcast unfiltered, and use the filter between the receiving end and the TiVo...

[Edit: Don't know if you could put the filter in on the broadcast side, and eliminate the need for filters with every receiver...]

Last edited by adamblast; 06-18-03 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-18-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Mordred
There's a guy on Ebay who sells the RCA930s (I assume he still does) for $29.99 (or maybe $32.99 buy it now)... which is half price from the Best Buy price. Mine has worked flawlessly. I think they're supposed to be refurbed, but mine certainly looked and worked like brand new. I would definitely go this route. Several of my TiVo friends have gotten them from the same guy and they've never had problems either.
Thanks for the heads up, but I have a friend who gets accessories through DBL. I can it through him for the same price or cheaper and not have to pay shipping.
Old 06-18-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are there any sites other than AVS' TivoCommunity for discussing TiVo issues? They're proving surprisingly useless in my attempts to recover from a recent crash.

das
Old 06-18-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HTF has a PVR forum now...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?s=&forumid=96

and so does the DBS Forum...
http://www.dbsforums.com/ubb/ultimat...ubb=forum;f=14

Those are the only other ones I know about; good luck...
Old 06-18-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. I remember TiVoCommunity being helpful in the past, but I can't get dick from them now, not even a flame. Maybe if I post about Replay being superior I can get one of them to wake up.

Anyway, off to those forums ...

das
Old 06-18-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMHO, their decision to become partially funded by TiVo itself-- while understandable for a site that needs money--has had a sorry impact on the nature of discussions. The conversation and culture has grown much less consumer-action-oriented, and somewhat more a$s-kissy and party-line...
Old 06-18-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most disappointing. I've also asked over at dealdb, but I haven't gotten a response there either. The great minds have to be hiding somewhere.

das