TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Meet My Folks" on NBC

Old 06-17-03, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Meet My Folks" on NBC

Anybody watch last night??

The lie detector segment is the funniest thing ever..

"Were you telling the truth when you told my wife she had nice feet" ???

The guy who gave out the test burst out laughing..as did I

Old 06-17-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It sucks that it takes a full two weeks to finish one episode.
Old 06-17-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are they still rebroadcasting these on the weekend? I happened to catch most of the episode last night, but missed the lie detector.
Old 06-17-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My TIVO taped it, but I noticed that "For Love or Money" ran 10 minutes over. Does that mean that I'm going to miss the last 10 minutes of this show? I don't want to spoil it by fast forwarding to the end...
Old 06-17-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
My TIVO taped it, but I noticed that "For Love or Money" ran 10 minutes over. Does that mean that I'm going to miss the last 10 minutes of this show? I don't want to spoil it by fast forwarding to the end...
No, Meet my Folks ended on time despite the overrun from the previous show.
Old 06-17-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
More mainstream coverage for us foot fetishists. Honestly, why do they make us all look like retards?
Old 06-17-03, 03:59 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the lie detector is a scam? He's just giving the answers the audience wants to hear.
Old 06-17-03, 05:33 PM

I agree. Lie detectors are far from scientific -- hence, their results can't be used in court.
Old 06-17-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrPeanut
Am I the only one who thinks the lie detector is a scam? He's just giving the answers the audience wants to hear.
You wanna try it?

I have already tried it at a friend's job (insurance investigator) and I almost can beat it.
Old 06-17-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it didn't even play in Detroit last night. or atleast not at 10:00.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 06-17-03 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lie detectors are somewhat useful it getting the truth, but much more useful as a plot device.

These guys are horrible- lying, cheating, not paying grandma back... I don't understand why the dad got so upset when he dismissed the first one, it seems like he should have been thrilled to kick any one of them out.
Old 06-17-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It seems like you can't get on this show unless you have some ****** past.
Old 06-18-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it'd be pretty boring if the contestants were all saints... the show is all about conflict and confrontation.

Does this mean that the show itself was only 50 minutes long (since For Love or Money went long)?
Old 06-18-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

the show itself still is only half way done. they seperate an episode to fill in two weeks worth of the show. It would be boring if they were all saints, but the secrets they are holding seem like it's too forced to throw them all in together. a bit much at times.
Old 06-18-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I know it's only part 1. Better than that 3 parter they had a few months ago, where the last episode was on Saturday and I completely missed it (this was in my pre-Tivo days).

But if it ended on time, that means NBC cut 10 minutes of it for "For Love or Money"... then why couldn't they change the stupid schedule so my TIVO could pick it up? If my TIVO hadn't somehow taped Meet My Folks (which is weird in itself because i didn't program it to, and it recorded it outside of "Suggestions") I would've missed the end... Argh...

I remember someone mentioning before that a lot of the contestants on Meet my Folks (and perhaps other reality shows) are from other dating shows (Blind Date, etc.). Could it be that most of this is an act?
Old 06-18-03, 10:53 PM
Banned

What i find funny, is during the first few minutes of every episode the father is saying how much he doesn't trust the guys, then when they have to let someone go the parents are at the brink of tears saying the guys are like family after one night there of ripping them.

and you would think after having the lie detector on every show the contestants would not be so surprised when they see it.

Originally posted by hotaru_san
Lie detectors are somewhat useful it getting the truth, but much more useful as a plot device.

These guys are horrible- lying, cheating, not paying grandma back... I don't understand why the dad got so upset when he dismissed the first one, it seems like he should have been thrilled to kick any one of them out.