Reload this Page >

Last Comic Standing

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing

Old 06-25-03, 09:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally saw this... missed all the other eps, and missed the first half of this. I love the vote-off setup, and the challenge idea is great. I'll tune in next week to see what the "house" segments are like. Even if I hate them, I'll still keep tuning in for the last twenty minutes.
Old 06-25-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing that bugged me was the way the two people "duel". It's always hard to follow someone so the first person would have to really knock the crowds socks off in order to actually be fully remembered.
Old 06-25-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
One thing that bugged me was the way the two people "duel". It's always hard to follow someone so the first person would have to really knock the crowds socks off in order to actually be fully remembered.
true but if someone is really funny I think it would be remembered.

I posted something about Dan Pham in your Other thread on the show.
Old 06-26-03, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't see this mentioned in this thread, but Comedy Central is apparently playing these a week later every Saturday Night. I also found this show very entertaining and am a huge stand-up fan, but the only one I knew of was Rich Vos. I doubt he will win considering that he ALREADY has his own Comedy Central Presents, which is part of the prize. He is an awesome guy and I actually ran into him several times at restaurants in the area, and countless times at the local comedy club, and he has been the nicest guy you could meet. Long story, but he even helped me get an A in my film class.
Old 06-26-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dacoops3
Didn't see this mentioned in this thread, but Comedy Central is apparently playing these a week later every Saturday Night. I also found this show very entertaining and am a huge stand-up fan, but the only one I knew of was Rich Vos. I doubt he will win considering that he ALREADY has his own Comedy Central Presents, which is part of the prize. He is an awesome guy and I actually ran into him several times at restaurants in the area, and countless times at the local comedy club, and he has been the nicest guy you could meet. Long story, but he even helped me get an A in my film class.
Yeah Rich probably won't win, but it doesn't matter because everytime I have seen him on Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn I have laughed my ass off. His comedy style is very abrasive like the Diceman .
Old 06-26-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well I LOVE the way they have to vote and "duel".
It's interesting that the comedy club crowd VOTES, vs. TV viewers, so house play and interaction doesn't count too much (as it would if it was tv viewers voting).
Yes, it effects the chance of getting voted to "duel", but I'm talking about the viewer vote.

With that said, I find the vote system very interesting.
You want to almost pick somebody that doesn't have votes, so they can't "call you back out", and at the same time yourself fall somewhere in the middle.
You wouldn't want to join a big gang, and vote as a block, because the person you vote for can turn around and choose to battle you.

Well I don't like Rich Voss much and never have. And with the premise of the show I don't think he should be there anyway.
I'm sure Shawn was a jerk more than we saw because everyone had that same feeling (And it came through with the sauce complaint). But at the beginning I thought it was all RIch with the better than anyone type attitude.

And I lost some respect for Ralphie. I've seen him in comedy clubs and love his stuff. But you want to think of him only as the funny fat guy. NOT an instigator of fights and "calling people out" and coming across with an attitude. I think that would hurt him if the tv viewers voted. His name calling was a bit silly.

Let's see some comedy! Not complaining/name calling in a mean spirited way. It's funny when it's in a sarcastic joking spirit (even if serious), like on the bus ride.
Shawn was the odd man out but there were some funny jokes about it (even from Rich!).
Old 07-02-03, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Right on, cha cha cha ... you're not funny, cha cha cha.

das
Old 07-02-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Teri was on borrowed time and she knew it. Every 10 minutes she would burst into tears. If her self esteem was low before, I wonder how it is after losing 80% to 20%.

The comics has a really keen sense on who is funny, that isn't obvious to the viewer. Everyone seems to be terrified of Tess but her work didn't seem all that great to me. But they smell blood in the water for Dat and he seems to have a decent act to me. I guess thats why they're the pros.

D
Old 07-02-03, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Derrich
Teri was on borrowed time and she knew it. Every 10 minutes she would burst into tears. If her self esteem was low before, I wonder how it is after losing 80% to 20%.

The comics has a really keen sense on who is funny, that isn't obvious to the viewer. Everyone seems to be terrified of Tess but her work didn't seem all that great to me. But they smell blood in the water for Dat and he seems to have a decent act to me. I guess thats why they're the pros.

D
my thoughts exactly!
I really like Dat and what little I've seen of him I thought was great. And throwing on the "accent" in stand-up usually works well. The way he does it anyway.

I don't care for Tess at all, she wins the competitions some how, and I guess her act is "ok" but I don't like her, not my style.

I hope Dat pulls an "upset" when challanged. I hate how the core group thinks they can pull off their pecking order without disruption.

By the way I think the LOSER last week was better than BOTH that had to showdown this week. So while I do love the format they have setup here obviously not the worst comic goes home every week. It's only the loser of TWO that were chosen.

My bottom picks to face elimination if challanged or voted are:
Cory
Tess (personal preference)
Rob (don't think his short act will go over to a live crowd well).

I think Dat has good stuff, I think they just don't like him (and his STRANGE but interesting Journal!!).
Old 07-02-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show is surprisingly entertaining. Much better than I expected it to be.
Old 07-02-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
I am glad that Teri is gone. Her set was barely funny and borders on weird. She just seems like the psycho women that snaps and falls apart daily. I mean damn, she cussed out at Dat just because he voted for her. This is also after she turned weird on him during their talk.

Second, it is hilarious that Rich is always shown ironing as he gives commentary on the show. It is way too funny.

I also echo the notion that Tess is really not that funny. Her act is one note and, to me, not that different then a subpar/copy performance by the "Queens of Comedy."

Lastly, next week's targeting of Dat looks like to me like editing a red herring. If Reality 101 has taught me anything! it is that a preview of someone being targeted as the next to go either backfires or not come to fruitation.

GREAT show.

Last edited by chowderhead; 07-02-03 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-02-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about Dave and Rich in the bubble bath? That was too funny.

"I hope to hell that was a snake."

(edited to fix error in names)

Last edited by Boot; 07-02-03 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-02-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was Dave, but I'm not sure. Those two are my favorites though.
Old 07-02-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by saoirse
I thought it was Dave, but I'm not sure. Those two are my favorites though.
Dave. You're right. Got my names mixed up.
Old 07-02-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the bubblebath stuff was hilarious. When the camera nonchalantly panned out to show Rich the first time, that was great. I also loved the final shots with Tess in the salon. Great setup and delivery on that too.

das
Old 07-02-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the previews for yesterdays show they showed Dave telling someone (unseen) that they hadn't said a funny thing since he's been there -- I never got to see who he said this to..

Anyone?
Old 07-02-03, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by DodgingCars
In the previews for yesterdays show they showed Dave telling someone (unseen) that they hadn't said a funny thing since he's been there -- I never got to see who he said this to..

Anyone?
oh yeah I remember that too.
I don't think it was in the show though!