Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NEW V Miniseries Coming!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
if they want to do this.

For someone who lost track, was the series a continuation of of the mini-series or was it supposed to be independent?

If it was a part of it, will it be considered as canon for the new plotlines? I hope they get someone good to do the Visitor reptile masks. While effective in the mini-series, it seemed to get really bad in the TV show. The creatures would obviously be people in cheap rubber masks whose lips never moved when they spoke.
Old 06-10-03, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just hope the ratings are good enough for them to keep doing a mini-series every year. Or go with a two hour movie every few months. I read years ago that this is what Johnson wanted to do, but of course NBC got greedy and wanted it every week.

I also thought Johnson had a lot to do with V: TFB before he left due to creative differences. In his script no star child powers to stop the doomsday device. The resistance would fly off in a shuttle and Martin would pilot the mothership to blow up out of range. There were others things also. I think I have the article but I need to dig deep into the closet for a box of V stuff (including any magazines that had articles)

Anyone else have the V doll where you press the thing on his back to have the lizard tongue come out?
Old 06-10-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The series was a continuation of the storyline, but, as has been stated earlier in this thread, won't be canon for the new mini-series.
Old 06-10-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Well yeah - it was the only sci-fi around.
...and your point is...?

Yeah, it was a continuation. If you ignore major continuity issues.

But there was Jane Badler and Faye Grant.
Old 06-10-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
The series was a continuation of the storyline, but, as has been stated earlier in this thread, won't be canon for the new mini-series.
It was sort of a continuation, except that they had to write their way around the ending to The Final Battle in order to bring the Visitors back to Earth.

Originally posted by Wizdar
Yeah, it was a continuation. If you ignore major continuity issues.
Including continuity problems within the series itself! There was an entire episode that ran, and then the following episode pretended that the events in it never happened.
Old 06-10-03, 07:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I used to love "V". This makes me one happy woman!

Christina
Old 06-10-03, 08:23 PM

"V" miniseries now that would be cool especially now that it will surely have a better special effects
Old 06-10-03, 11:45 PM

This is great news. I haven't gotten around to picking up the V:TFB DVD yet, so I didn't realize that it was so unpopular. I vaguely remember enjoying it on TV the first time around (hey, I was 9), and it had a fairly catchy theme song. What was so bad about it?
Old 06-11-03, 06:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by BradJ
Faye Grant... mmmmmmmmm..........

Holy Crap! So, I go searching to find a good Faye Grant pic to put in the message, and I find this site:

http://www.fayegrant.com/main.htm

It's a REALLY slow day at work so I started reading some of the stuff on there, and the girl that created that website is WACKO.
She wrote a bunch of poems, talks about her dreams about Julie Parrish (Grant's character on V)... uh, hope Faye knows the number to a good restraining order process server......
I think this image says it all........

Old 06-11-03, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DVD Mike2
Anyone else have the V doll where you press the thing on his back to have the lizard tongue come out?
Yes!

I have it on my bookshelf with Buzz Lightyear holding it up in the air....

(I'm such a sci-fi geek - Just don't ask about my 800+ Star Wars & Star Trek figures...)
Old 06-11-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SergeantPinback
(I'm such a sci-fi geek - Just don't ask about my 800+ Star Wars & Star Trek figures...)
Christmas ornaments?
Old 06-11-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by areacode212
This is great news. I haven't gotten around to picking up the V:TFB DVD yet, so I didn't realize that it was so unpopular. I vaguely remember enjoying it on TV the first time around (hey, I was 9), and it had a fairly catchy theme song. What was so bad about it?
I've got three words for ya': Star Friggin' Child!

The Final Battle is OK for the first two episodes, but has a terrible, terrible ending. Here's the full review:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...nalbattle.html
Old 06-11-03, 11:58 AM
Banned

Christmas ornaments?
Well, that would be another story, (I do have every Star Wars & Star Trek ornament that Hallmark has ever made), but I was refering to the 4" & 12" Star Wars figures put out by Kenner/Hasbro and the 5", 9" & 12" figures put out by Playmates.

But I digress...
Old 06-11-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, if you don’t have the talking shuttlecraft ornament, you’re simply not a collector.

Old 06-11-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Some V fan posted the following lengthy speculation in a V forum. Some interesting thoughts in here...

What odd news this all is...I'd given up hope for a "V" update EVER happening, especially since KJ said at the "V" convention in 2000 that he'd NEVER go back to it. So surprised as I was by Monday's announcement, I got to thinking what a new series (or three-hour movie, or whatever), would be LIKE! So here's my reasoning:

Does the new series take place in the same continuity as the old series? Well, as Kenneth Johnson has always said, he never watched TFB or the weekly series. Therefore, he CAN'T write a follow-up to either of them. In his mind, they never happened. As for continuity, he doesn't even KNOW what happened in them. So...they don't exist! Forget them! That said, the new movie will have to be a direct sequel to the original mini, 20 years later, and hopefully with some of the same cast. By that supposition, please blank out all memory of those last two series: there would be no red dust, no Elizabeth, Ham Tyler, Lydia or Kyle, no open city, etc. (Also, perhaps some characters who died in those stories, like Martin, Christine or Elias, in fact, did not). Playing with these "facts," here's what may happen:

We'd have to assume that the Earth had been held under a fascist dictatorship for an entire generation. Scientists would have been effectively done away with, and the only science introduced into Earth society would be coming from the Visitors. They would have made good on their vow to cure cancer, the world would be grateful and cowed. The Visitors would control the media, would force-feed disinformation into the general populace, always in their favor. In time, dissidents would all be rounded up and taken away. Most would never be heard from again, except for a few "converts," who would help the Visitors in their cause, by telling us all how wonderful they are.

The Resistance would continue, always undermining the Visitors' plans, but never completely getting the better of them. Millions of people would be taken to Sirius as food, or used as military officers in the Visitors' war against the Leader's enemy (as Martin told Donovan). The remaining populace would move on, allowed to breed in great numbers and the cycle would repeat itself continually. Therefore, Earth would become very valuable to the Visitors as a great source of food, water and military might. (The idea of Martin's decimated Earth scenario doesn't work here in a dramatic context; there'd be nothing left for the Resistance to fight for, nothing to interest the Visitors and nothing to film).

Now we can suppose that the Visitors are still playing the manipulation game, rather than waging an all-out war like in the weekly series. Therefore, they would still be wearing the masks, and all but a few humans would truly know of their reptilian nature. Since they're supposed to be more or less human, the Visitors would have to periodically "age" their human masks. Therefore, a Jane Badler in her 40s could still play Diana, and we could have a 70 year old John.

As for the casting in general, some have said that the original stars are too old to carry a series in this day and age. That may be true, but I'd say if they got the four "biggies" back, (Donovan, Julie, Willie and Diana), and supplanted them with younger stars in newer roles, the show would be fine. We could definitely see a version of Elizabeth, who would now be twenty. We could introduce a lot of human characters who were born after the Visitors first landed,and who have lived with their presence all their lives, not knowing any better. Mike and Julie could be seen as sort of the gurus of the Resistance; perhaps not taking an active part in any espionage-type missions, (or perhaps they do!) As for Diana...what do we really know about her, based on the first mini? Not much, except that she's driven and not very nice. Her relationship with the Leader may have taken a better turn. Her scientific mind may have kept him in power all these years, therefore, he lets her keep her position on Earth, so she can carry out all those nasty experiments.

As for the storyline...who knows? I can't tell what direction KJ will take it, but judging by the several news articles I saw on Monday, I'd say he'd be getting farther away from Nazi allegory and into a more current fascist allegory. He may comment on the fact that in America, corporate consolidations make for less competition, less choice and less bargaining power i.e., you HAVE to buy your pantyhose at Wal-Mart, because Wal-Mart put K-Mart out of business! A frivolous example, but a scary one, if you take it to a speculative fiction-type extreme. What if there was only one internet provider? Or television network? You'd be forced to buy, see, and do what the powers-that-be offer you. What if there were only one political party? You'd have one candidate to vote for. If you didn't like it, you'd hardly be able to get the media to help express your views because you'd in essence, be speaking against them. There'd be a great gulf between rich and poor. No middle class at all, and therefore, no balance in society. Some of this stuff is actually happening in the U.S. today--it's not fantasy. Some of the things that your grandparents did would be impossible for you. For instance, could you open a little store somewhere? Not if there's a Wal-Mart in town. Could you start your own magazine? Not unless you work for Time-Warner. It seems silly, but as the big guys get bigger, they take human initiative and drive away from the little guys, who feel disenfranchised and more obedient, bowing to the boss and scrubbing toilets for a living. Getting back to "V," this sort of financial psychology could lead to stories about how the Visitors keep in control.

Or, KJ could take allegory from current world events, the exposure of Saddam Hussein's regime, how he took power, how he killed his dissidents and clamped down on his own society, stole supplies from foreign aid workers and generally behaved like a very bad boy. KJ could do stories of the Resistance being viewed as terrorists, (they DO go around blowing things up, after all). And of course, in this instance, the Visitors could always portray themselves as the innocent victims of these "terrorist" attacks, thereby gaining more sympathy for themselves, as the Resistance continually shoots itself in the foot. That's why all this sort of storyline can go on for 20 years...although I dare not take sides, look at the Gaza Strip conflict...endless. Who's right? Who's wrong. The public doesn't know. But in the world of "V" such confusion wouldn't exist on a wide scale because, again, they control the media and tell you what to think.
Old 06-11-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don’t know. It would be an interesting concept, ignoring the 2nd mini and the entire series. I would be interested to see how that would be explained.

I wonder if anybody would have the cohones (or trust?) to tell fans, “Hey, work with me here. I’m gonna give you something you’ve always wanted, but you’re just going to have to understand how things will work…” As a fan (of, maybe anything), I would highly respect that type of novel approach.
Old 06-11-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I don’t know. It would be an interesting concept, ignoring the 2nd mini and the entire series. I would be interested to see how that would be explained.

I wonder if anybody would have the cohones (or trust?) to tell fans, “Hey, work with me here. I’m gonna give you something you’ve always wanted, but you’re just going to have to understand how things will work…” As a fan (of, maybe anything), I would highly respect that type of novel approach.

Call it a remake of V:TFB.

Look at the remake of Planet of the Apes - completely different than the original.
Old 06-11-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Hey, if you don’t have the talking shuttlecraft ornament, you’re simply not a collector.

got it.
Old 06-12-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Yeah, sure, the Galileo is good, but a *real* Trek geek has the classic Enterprise 1701 also. (What are they going for these days? $300?)

The problem with the V series was that they gave it to a bunch of writers and producers who had *no idea* what science fiction was. They basically wrote western and soap opera plots and threw in lizard masks and ray guns assuming that the SF fans would go nuts. There may have been a couple decent stories in those 20 episodes or so, but they were mostly crap.

And I watched it, every single week.

I don't wanna forget the second miniseries, though, since as a 13 year old I was *profoundly* affected by the scenes of Faye Grant in a tight bodysuit in the "conversion chamber."

Uh, forget I said that.
Old 06-12-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dstrauss
I don't wanna forget the second miniseries, though, since as a 13 year old I was *profoundly* affected by the scenes of Faye Grant in a tight bodysuit in the "conversion chamber."

Well, I was a little older than you at the time. And now that you mention those scenes, ummmm...

...I'll be right back.
Old 06-12-03, 06:27 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by djbrown
Oh yeah, forgot the books. STill have the complete run, which is about 20 books if memory serves.
Never realized that there were so many. At most I think I had 5, but "East Coast" is the only one to survive. I didn't take care of the comics too well either.
Old 06-13-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by dstrauss
... since as a 13 year old I was *profoundly* affected by the scenes of Faye Grant in a tight bodysuit in the "conversion chamber."...
Old 06-13-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw both of the 1st mini series and loved it again on DVD, so they have to come up with a whole new idea for the next movie.

They CANNOT forget about anything that happened in the 80's or I will not buy the DVD when it comes out (I will watch the show to see what it is like).
Old 06-13-03, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Spooky
I'm also guessing that we'll see plenty of new characters, including perhaps a 30-something Sean Donavan (hey Kenny...I'M in my 30's!).
Sean Donovan was played by a young Nicky Katt, recently on Boston Public and in the film Insomnia. Wonder if he's interested in a flashback to the 80's?
Old 06-13-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by djbrown
Oh yeah, forgot the books. STill have the complete run, which is about 20 books if memory serves.
Here's a list of titles if anyone's interested.

Pinnacle Books
V by A.C. Crispin
V: East Coast Crisis by Howard Weinstein and A.C. Crispin
V: The Pursuit of Diana by Allen Wold
V: The Chicago Conversion by Geo. W. Proctor
V: The Florida Project by Tim Sullivan
V: Prisoners and Pawns by Howard Weinstein
V: The Alien Swordmaster by Somtow Sucharitkul
V: The Crivit Experiment by Allen Wold
V: The New England Resistance by Tim Sullivan
V: Death Tide by A.C. Crispin and Deborah A. Marshall
V: The Texas Run by Geo. W. Proctor
Tor Books
V: Symphony of Terror by Somtow Sucharitkul
V: Path to Conquest by Howard Weinstein
V: To Conquer the Throne by Tim Sullivan
V: The Oregon Invasion by Jayne Tannehill
V: Below the Threshold by Allen Wold

Source:
TV Tie-Ins: A Bibliography of American TV Tie-In Paperbacks by Kurt Peer

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.