Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NEW V Miniseries Coming!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Yippee! With Johnson involved this should kick major butt. I guess this means I will have to pick up the miniseries on DVD before the new one hits the small screen.
Old 06-09-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Am I the only one who remembers War of the Worlds, from about the same time as the series?
War of the Worlds was actually several years later:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0094578

V - 1983
V: The Final Battle - 1984
War of the Worlds - 1988-90

I remember it well. That gore effect of the alien hand bursting out from a human stomach was pretty memorable! Too bad they tried to "re-imagine" the concept in the second season and turned it into crap.
Old 06-09-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Wow, this is great news!
Old 06-09-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Awesome news. I wonder just how much of the tv series they're going to ignore, however, since several of the main characters from the original miniseries died during the series. (Martin, Elias, Robert are the ones I remember.)
Old 06-09-03, 07:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
This is fantastic news! V was a great mini-series.
Old 06-09-03, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for the record, in case nobody's heard yet..

Johnson will be TOTALLY IGNORING not only the TV series, but the sequel "V: The Final Battle" - which he had nothing to do with. In other words, the new mini-series is a sequel to the original mini-series and everything else should be treated as apocryphal (sic?). So not only don't we have to worry about that silly Star Child, I suppose it's possible characters like Martin and Daniel Bernstein could still be alive since there characters were killed in the sequel (Daniel) and TV series (Martin - 1st episode). Sadly, it also means no Ham Tyler, who was the best new character in "The Final Battle".

So while ignoring the plots of both the sequel and the series will no dobut tick some fans off, I think there will be that many more fans who will rejoice that the show is going to go back to its roots. Mark Singer, Faye Grant and Jane Badler are all willing to come back, as is Robert Englund. I'm also guessing that we'll see plenty of new characters, including perhaps a 30-something Sean Donavan (hey Kenny...I'M in my 30's!).

"If you're going to do it...do it right. 'V'...for victory. Go, tell your friends!"
Old 06-09-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking forward to this. I disliked the sequel and short-lived series since it pretty much threw away much of Johnson's scope.

He's always been good with social commentary/analogies, as he's done with "The Bionic Woman," "The Incredible Hulk," and "Alienation." Some of the best episodes from those shows were the ones he wrote himself.
Old 06-09-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
f'in sweet!

Old 06-09-03, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by djbrown
[pathetic mode]
You know what's really sad? As I kid, we made our own "V" flag and "V" guns. As is that wasn't bad enough, we attached small bags of red Kool-Aid powder to kites, water rockets, helium balloons, etc before launch.

[/pathetic mode]

Top that!
Well, you've got me beat...

Do I come in second, as the owner of an original Visitor action figure and collector cards....?
Old 06-09-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spooky

Johnson will be TOTALLY IGNORING not only the TV series, but the sequel "V: The Final Battle" - which he had nothing to do with. In other words, the new mini-series is a sequel to the original mini-series and everything else should be treated as apocryphal (sic?). So not only don't we have to worry about that silly Star Child, I suppose it's possible characters like Martin and Daniel Bernstein could still be alive since there characters were killed in the sequel (Daniel) and TV series (Martin - 1st episode). Sadly, it also means no Ham Tyler, who was the best new character in "The Final Battle".

So while ignoring the plots of both the sequel and the series will no dobut tick some fans off, I think there will be that many more fans who will rejoice that the show is going to go back to its roots. Mark Singer, Faye Grant and Jane Badler are all willing to come back, as is Robert Englund. I'm also guessing that we'll see plenty of new characters, including perhaps a 30-something Sean Donavan (hey Kenny...I'M in my 30's!).

"If you're going to do it...do it right. 'V'...for victory. Go, tell your friends!"
Too bad about Ham, but he was essentially the only good part of the 2nd miniseries. I won't be sorry to see continuity ignored--I can barely stand to watch the 2nd miniseries when I flip past it on cable. Sometimes I do watch, but in a 'train wreck' sort of way.
Old 06-10-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Very cool news. V was the show I listed in the "canceled series ending on a cliffhanger" thread for which I most wanted closure.
Old 06-10-03, 01:03 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by SergeantPinback
Well, you've got me beat...

Do I come in second, as the owner of an original Visitor action figure and collector cards....?
Lucky bastard. I think this is the only show/movie I loved as a kid that I didn't have toys from.
Still have the "East Coast Crisis" book though.

to the news.
Old 06-10-03, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I the only one who loved the Series?
I remember being very excited every Friday when it came on.
Any news of a DVD set with the Series on it?
Old 06-10-03, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by turborobb
Am I the only one who loved the Series?
I remember being very excited every Friday when it came on.
Any news of a DVD set with the Series on it?

I watched and taped this weekly when it originally aired....not sure if they ever had re-runs or not.
Old 06-10-03, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by djones6746
I watched and taped this weekly when it originally aired....not sure if they ever had re-runs or not.
Sci-Fi played it a few times.
Old 06-10-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Pac-Rat
Lucky bastard. I think this is the only show/movie I loved as a kid that I didn't have toys from.
Still have the "East Coast Crisis" book though.

to the news.
Oh yeah, forgot the books. STill have the complete run, which is about 20 books if memory serves.
Old 06-10-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Do you have a link to this? I was looking for this kind of info on 'V' boards yesterday and couldn't find it. I suspected this might happen since he did not pen V:TFB and V:TFB kind of got away from the main story of facism (and left the alien answer to the signal unaddressed).

Yeah - it would be a little upsetting to see it wiped clean, but I could deal. I would also like to see Martin come back since he was my favorite character. As for the star child, he can go back and re-do that since Robin did get pregnant at the end of V.
Old 06-10-03, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Do you have a link to this? I was looking for this kind of info on 'V' boards yesterday and couldn't find it. I suspected this might happen since he did not pen V:TFB and V:TFB kind of got away from the main story of facism (and left the alien answer to the signal unaddressed).

Yeah - it would be a little upsetting to see it wiped clean, but I could deal. I would also like to see Martin come back since he was my favorite character. As for the star child, he can go back and re-do that since Robin did get pregnant at the end of V.
I believe the info about not following the second miniseries is noted in the new issue of TV Guide.
Old 06-10-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also read about skipping the second mini-series per TVGuide. The online version doesn't mention this tidbit, however.
Old 06-10-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Faye Grant... mmmmmmmmm..........

Holy Crap! So, I go searching to find a good Faye Grant pic to put in the message, and I find this site:

http://www.fayegrant.com/main.htm

It's a REALLY slow day at work so I started reading some of the stuff on there, and the girl that created that website is WACKO.
She wrote a bunch of poems, talks about her dreams about Julie Parrish (Grant's character on V)... uh, hope Faye knows the number to a good restraining order process server......

Last edited by BradJ; 06-10-03 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-10-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So not only don't we have to worry about that silly Star Child...
Pretanama, baby!

Add me to the list of lovers of the series.

I still have them somewhere in the VHS vault. Unfortunately, they're all edited to remove the commercials and EP. I'll likely be very disappointed in the quality if I decided to check them out.

BradJ, I went looking for a pic of Jane Badler, hoping for something recent. Found a link to Jane Badler nude, that was actually an insurance site. WTF?!?

But, yeah, Faye gives me the hot.
Old 06-10-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Pretanama, baby!

Given your 'love' of Enterprise, I am truly shocked. Sure, I watched it too, but as a 13 year old, even then I could see how truly cheesy and lame it was.

I can rattle off the problems with the series w/o much thought...
- Overuse of stock footage
- The Star Child
- Martin's twin brother who actually is given the same human face
- Cheesy scripts that made it look like a soap opera for 10 year olds
- No more vibrating Visitor voices - I mean how money does it cost to add a little reverberation to the audio?
Old 06-10-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, you really do hate Enterprise
Old 06-10-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guys, I was younger then. So was TV FX. And I was already used to “overuse of stock footage” (Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers). And TNG had yet to reset standards for FX and scripts.

How much does ADR (reverb voice) cost? Probably a lot in those days, especially for a TV series that was already stretching the budget.

Star Child?? I’ll see your Star Child and raise you a Wesley Crusher.

Do I hate Enterprise? I don’t hate anything. (Well, taking a dump is high on my list, but I digress.) Can anybody disagree that, by today’s standards, Enterprise is woefully inadequate and ranking just a few notches above Battlefield Earth?

The series had its problems, to be sure. And today I would have to put it in the guilty pleasures category. But at the time it was the best SciFi around. The same cannot be said of Gomer Archer & Co.
Old 06-10-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

The series had its problems, to be sure. And today I would have to put it in the guilty pleasures category. But at the time it was the best SciFi around.

Well yeah - it was the only sci-fi around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.