Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the last few episodes of Firefly?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Whatever happened to the last few episodes of Firefly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-03, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh I don't know how good a businessman Lynch is but I can't believe he would be so naive as to think ABC was going accept what he was doing. But if you say so, I stand corrected.
Originally posted by Josh Z
Not true at all.

If this were his plan, it would make him the worst businessman in the world. It took Lynch two years of fighting to get the rights for the pilot footage he shot away from ABC, and then to find separate financing to complete the movie.

Lynch shot the pilot episode for ABC because he was promised creative freedom, and was assured that times had changed since they screwed him over on Twin Peaks. He was foolish enough to believe them, and the rest is history.

Lynch wanted to make a new long-form narrative. The ending to the feature version is something that he came up with only after-the-fact.
Old 06-09-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
Josh I don't know how good a businessman Lynch is but I can't believe he would be so naive as to think ABC was going accept what he was doing.
The original TV pilot that he shot essentially comprises the first 90 minutes of the movie.

Spoiler:
Everything up until just before the first lesbian scene.

If you look at that footage, there really isn't anything in there that couldn't air on television. The pilot was dark and weird, yes, but no more so than Twin Peaks. All of the "f***ed up" stuff in the theatrical version was shot after-the-fact.

Yes, Lynch was probably naive to believe that ABC would want such a show after the way they treated him the last time, but as I said he had been promised that times had changed.
Old 06-09-03, 11:09 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the Mulholland Dr. hijack (people still like talking about it).

I don't know if it was naivety that led Lynch back to ABC, but the pilot (the script for which is floating around) does show that it was intended for an ongoing series - with plenty of characters and plot threads. If Lynch had intended to shoot a feature all along, he would have shot it in the first place and not had to reshoot when the rights were re-acquired. A large part of the latter part reflects the dark side of the system Lynch experienced in the struggle for the rights to the pilot.
Old 07-07-03, 05:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More about the upcoming DVD set from a Joss Whedon interview:
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/425/425492p10.html

IGNFF: What is the current production status on the Firefly DVDs?

WHEDON: They should be coming out in the fall. Late fall.

IGNFF: The full-on special edition?

WHEDON: Oh my god. They couldn't be specialer. We've got three unaired episodes, commentary by every cast member, big interviews with everybody, gag reel – all kinds of stuff. It's just bells and whistles, and they'll be in the right order. And widescreen. So it really couldn't be better DVD package... a wicked one, at that. They really went to town on it. I was like, "I don't know if they'll release them on DVD, because it was cancelled," and they're not only releasing it, they're doing everything. I did the commentary on the two-hour pilot with Nathan. He and Alan did one together... Alan Tudyk. It's really exciting.
Old 07-08-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
For those who just can't wait, yes, at least two of the unaired episodes are floating around the net. I've seen them on several of the file sharing networks.

I've seen "The Message" and read the scripts for the other two. They're a hoot.
Old 07-09-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dstrauss
For those who just can't wait, yes, at least two of the unaired episodes are floating around the net. I've seen them on several of the file sharing networks.
We're up to three now.......or so I've heard