TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stanley Cup Playoffs in HD!!!!

Old 05-26-03, 03:53 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,202
Stanley Cup Playoffs in HD!!!!

Even though I don't care who wins this series Devils vs Mighty Ducks (what a name) I'm looking forward to watching the games in HD on ABC

If it looks as good as the Superbowl did in January we should be in for a real treat!

PS I hopeHockey Night In Canada will show some games next year in HD also

Cheers!
shanester is offline  
Old 05-26-03, 04:57 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: the igloo
Posts: 6,719
Yeah I was excited to see this. ABC HD is decent, not quite as good as CBS, but it should be exciting to watch. Thank god it's not on FOX, my local FOX refuses to relay the HD signal, although I guess this is a problem a lot of people have with FOX.
Dr_Evil is offline  
Old 05-26-03, 05:55 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,202
Originally posted by Dr_Evil
Yeah I was excited to see this. ABC HD is decent, not quite as good as CBS, but it should be exciting to watch. Thank god it's not on FOX, my local FOX refuses to relay the HD signal, although I guess this is a problem a lot of people have with FOX.
Your right CBS+PBS are the best HD by far. Our signal is broadcast from Detroit..We don't have a FOX hd affiliate yet either
shanester is offline  
Old 05-26-03, 10:38 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 10,470
Just for your info guys, there are NO FOX HD affiliates anywhere. Fox broadcasts something that it calls 'High Resolution', not 'High Definition'. That's 480p. As far as affilitates that broadcast in high resolution, we have one here in Chicago, and I'm pretty sure a lot of big cities have those.
huzefa is offline  
Old 05-27-03, 12:11 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The chair at the top of the stairs..
Posts: 855
Yep our Atlanta Fox is high resolution but it doesn't even come close to the HD broadcasts on CBS ABC or NBC, I still don't know what Fox is thinking.. 24 could look so much better.. what a shame..
PhYbEr is offline  
Old 05-27-03, 12:22 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,420
man...wish i could see this...it's not offered up here in the sticks yet....
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 05-27-03, 01:39 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 10,470
Originally posted by brizz
man...wish i could see this...it's not offered up here in the sticks yet....
Get satellite, man!
huzefa is offline  
Old 05-28-03, 09:35 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: the igloo
Posts: 6,719
It sucks that last nights game was on ESPNHD. Does anyone even get this channel yet? I know direct hasn't worked out a deal for it yet. Guess I'll have to wait until game 3 to see my HD hockey.
Dr_Evil is offline  
Old 05-28-03, 11:36 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,126
Originally posted by Dr_Evil
It sucks that last nights game was on ESPNHD. Does anyone even get this channel yet? I know direct hasn't worked out a deal for it yet. Guess I'll have to wait until game 3 to see my HD hockey.
Yeah, I was all pumped up to see Game 1 in HD until I realized it was on ESPN. I'm not sure if anyone gets that channel either, when it rolled out, almost no one got it. And it's tough that they can't interrupt the fine programming of ABC (now that's a joke) for Games 1 and 2.
Jericho is offline  
Old 06-01-03, 06:51 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Preacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: outside Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,915
Looks great and less filling.
Preacher is offline  
Old 06-01-03, 03:31 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,202
The image looked good overall but the presenation (camera angels,play by play etc.) is nowhere near the same calibre as Hockey Night In Canada..

PS. This has to be one of the most boring finals ever!..Are you reading this Gary Bettman??..Where is the freakin" offense??.
shanester is offline  
Old 06-02-03, 11:19 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 280
Originally posted by shanester
PS. This has to be one of the most boring finals ever!..Are you reading this Gary Bettman??..Where is the freakin" offense??.
It's been gone for about 10 years. I like how one of the reasons used for the downward scoring is the goaltending. Many of the top goaltenders over this period (Roy, Beezer, Joseph, Richter, Belfour etc.) were in the league when the scoring was very high. Did a majority of the league's goalies improve dramatically overnight? Or could it be the league seen a shift in tactics (And watering down of talent) that has led to games with fewer shot totals?

I used to be a huge NHL fan, I used to subscribe to the Hockey News so I could read up on the draft, but now don't even notice it's existence.
AXP 103 is offline  
Old 06-02-03, 11:35 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: the igloo
Posts: 6,719
Originally posted by shanester
The image looked good overall but the presenation (camera angels,play by play etc.) is nowhere near the same calibre as Hockey Night In Canada..

PS. This has to be one of the most boring finals ever!..Are you reading this Gary Bettman??..Where is the freakin" offense??.
I don't like the camera shots that ABC was using either. They zoom them in too much on most of the angles. What was with the standard camera that was high above the rink that they would cut away to for a minute at a time? They need to watch and HDNet broadcast (I think they had some college or junior games on a while ago) and see how you're supposed to broadcast a hockey game.
Dr_Evil is offline  
Old 06-02-03, 04:22 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,202
Originally posted by AXP 103
It's been gone for about 10 years. I like how one of the reasons used for the downward scoring is the goaltending. Many of the top goaltenders over this period (Roy, Beezer, Joseph, Richter, Belfour etc.) were in the league when the scoring was very high. Did a majority of the league's goalies improve dramatically overnight? Or could it be the league seen a shift in tactics (And watering down of talent) that has led to games with fewer shot totals?

I used to be a huge NHL fan, I used to subscribe to the Hockey News so I could read up on the draft, but now don't even notice it's existence.
Well said!!

It's the f****n "trap"!!. It ruining the game..All these coaches emphasing defense defense defense. Bring back the wide open hockey of those great 80's Oilers teams that was exciting to watch as a fan

I can't watch an entire game during the season..
shanester is offline  
Old 06-02-03, 04:26 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,202
Originally posted by Dr_Evil
I don't like the camera shots that ABC was using either. They zoom them in too much on most of the angles. What was with the standard camera that was high above the rink that they would cut away to for a minute at a time? They need to watch and HDNet broadcast (I think they had some college or junior games on a while ago) and see how you're supposed to broadcast a hockey game.
I agree totally!! ABC had their cameras positioned too high halfway up the stands and I despise those power play shots behind the goalie..Gives you a very poor angle of the overall power play
shanester is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.