TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Profiler and 24 any good?

Old 05-25-03, 10:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Profiler and 24 any good?

I was considering getting these two, are they anygood?
Old 05-25-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

does the pope **** in the woods??

I"m not sure about Profiler, but 24 is one of the best TV shows ever... period. Go buy the DVDs NOW.

MATT
Old 05-25-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Profiler's not a bad show, providing you can take Ally Walker. I stopped watching when she left the show and they brought in one of the Lubbock Babes.

It probably ran a bit longer than NBC would have usually let it due to NBC owning a piece of the show.....
Old 05-25-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the biggest threads in the tv forum are about 24. i love this show, its one of my favorite shows, top 3 for sure
Old 05-25-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Each is entertaining enough, but I'd spend my money on higher quality entertainment if you're looking to invest that many hours of your time. Neither has any rewatchability IMO.

You can track down The Profiler on CourtTV or local syndication and 24 on FX.

das
Old 05-25-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

24 season 1 is great. Get the dvd's now since they are fairly cheap. Definite reachability, as I've seen season 2 twice already.
Old 05-25-03, 09:43 PM

24 is a good show and is worth watching. However, das was right in that it doesn't have much repeat value.
Old 05-26-03, 03:57 AM

24 is the best purchase I ever made. I was skeptical but wound up watching the season in less then 3 days and still managed to work 8 hours a day. I have since turned on all my family and friends as well as thier friends. I don't know about repeat viewing because the set is never here
Old 05-26-03, 09:18 AM

Actually, I've watched the first 24 season about 3 times now Yeah, you don't get the shock value of the first time through, but you can pick up details you missed, too.
Old 05-27-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buy 24 used and sell it when you're done. I don't think it's got a lot of replay value, but it's worth buying since it's so expensive to rent (6 discs). I think you'd enjoy it, I just don't think it's a keeper.

I don't know anything about The Profiler.

tasha
Old 05-27-03, 03:46 PM

I enjoyed the first season of "24" when it played on television, but I have no interest in buying the DVD...once was enough. I liked the second season even more, but once again no interest in seeing it again.

My recommendation? Skip both and get Season 1 of "The Shield." Now, THAT'S good television.
Old 05-27-03, 04:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I picked the season 1 up and I must say I am impressed. My wife and I watched the first two episodes Monday night and both of us were totally into it. Thanks for the recomendation!
Old 05-28-03, 07:15 PM

I'll add that I've seen 46 of the 48 episodes of the two 24 seasons on Fox. I loved just about every minute of both seasons, I do think season 2 was a touch better but I havent seen season 1 in over a year. I remember a little about it. I did watch some of the episodes again when FX did the 24 hr marathon and they were just about as good the 2nd time around. Since I've seen both I wont buy until season 1 takes a hefty cut and I'll do the same for season 2. 24 is one of the best series I've seen yet. I would recommend buying season 1 the day before your day off b/c you'll want to watch every episode in one sitting, it's that gripping.
Old 05-29-03, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Jobronie
Profiler's not a bad show, providing you can take Ally Walker. I stopped watching when she left the show and they brought in one of the Lubbock Babes.

It probably ran a bit longer than NBC would have usually let it due to NBC owning a piece of the show.....
Lubbock babes. Hee hee.
Old 05-30-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why is it that so many people say there is no "replayability" with 24? The usual reasons given revolve around "already knowing what is going to happen". Doesn't this apply to anything you have already seen before? I wonder how many people who say this have The Sixth Sense in their collection?

24 is a very well written show. A lot of people like to nitpick the details due to the time element and the "how could all this happen in one day?" factor but the bottom line is that it is flat out entertaining.

As others have mentioned, even if you only watch it once, it is highly likely that friends/family would enjoy watching it as well. I would be willing to bet that like any good movie, you will be wanting to watch it again - if not immediately, after a year or two. You will get your money's worth out of the set one way or another.
Old 06-01-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

24 is good in stages but devolves into farce after a time. The appeal for the TV show may lie in the week off between episodes. Might not work so well if you own them.
Old 06-01-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Preacher
24 is good in stages but devolves into farce after a time. The appeal for the TV show may lie in the week off between episodes. Might not work so well if you own them.

Agreed. I don't know if I'd be able to tolerate this show one episode after another. The week off gives me time to let all the silliness fade away and just remember the cool parts. I can't help but laugh when I see those "cold-filter what you don't need" ads with Keifer doing the narration, because that's how I have to watch 24. It's simultaneously the best and worst written show on television (and this requires no "nitpicking" ). For those who LOVE the show, of course, you'll LOVE to keep watching it ... anything with a fanatical following will have that effect. For the rest of us, though, not only do I have no desire to ever see it again, but I don't think I could handle it without the week in between episodes. Since it's impossible to judge whether someone will be a fanatical follower of the show or not, I think the recommendation that it has no rewatchability is a solid one.

das
Old 06-01-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

das, Obviously you have a right to your opinion but most people I know and have read comments from who own the Season 1 set (including me) are glad they DIDN'T have to wait a week between episodes. I know people who watched 6 or 7 (or more) episodes in a sitting. I think most people take the view that the show is addictive and hard to stop watching based on what I have read and seen (and from personal experience with friends and family).

You are correct that almost every show has their fanatics who cannot say or tolerate a bad word said about their show as well as those who can't say a good word about a show (yet keep watching it for some reason - check the Enterprise threads for confirmation). Therefore I guess the best recommendation is that someone rent the first disk from BBV. It has 4 episodes. You should know by then what to expect from this show and whether or not it is worth a purchase.
Old 06-01-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should note that I didn't intend the use of the phrase "fanatical follower" to carry a negative connotation. There's nothing wrong with that at all ... I know I fall under that category for a great many shows.

I guess what I was getting at is that people who LOVE a show will more often than not want to own it and see it again; people who HATE it will have no interest in it whatsoever. I think a recommendation should rest somewhere in the middle, since there's no way to know what level of enjoyment the new viewer will find with the show. Trying to put aside my personal bias that I think much of the show is really silly, I just don't see what qualities it has that would prompt someone to watch it a second time, even if he enjoyed it the first time. It just seems like the enjoyability stems from going on the intense journey once -- I don't see it being intense a second time; and for my money, aside from some excellent acting by Sullivan and Haysbert, there's not much left once you strip that away. I would say the same thing about a show like C.S.I. in that I don't see how it would hold much enjoyment a second time ... or maybe Survivor. On the scale of rewatchability, these types of shows come in low for me ... see them once, and enjoy them or not, that's really all you need. If you find Seinfeld funny, I could see how you'd watch it over and over. Or if you enjoy Babylon 5, you'd want to see it again and again to appreciate the numerous layers of depth to the story.

In any case, these opinions are of course just that ... my opinions. I certainly don't intend to suggest that others shouldn't buy it and watch it over and over. If you love the show, who am I to get in your way of enjoying it again and again? But when you ask why people are saying that it doesn't have much replay value, I think these are the reasons. I too would like to recommend that people track down the first episodes to get a feel for the show, but IMO those are the best episodes, so it might not be the best indicator. Still, it's solid advice.

das

P.S.
Spoiler:
I own the first season set, myself
Old 06-01-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the replay value issue, I think it all boils down to what you like to watch again and again. das does make a good point, if you are not one who could watch a movie like The Sixth Sense or any mystery more than once due to the nature of the plot and the twists that are revealed throughout, you are not likely to want to re-watch 24 since it is that type of show.

Some people DO like to re-watch these types of films/shows to discover the clues they missed the first time or simply to re-live the experience. True, a second viewing of 24 will not have the same impact it had the first time (no movie/show would) but I think it would still be entertaining to watch again. I also agree with das that comedies (and also action movies for me) have the most replay value.

My point was that most of the comments I have read reject 24's replay value simply due to the twists revealed and once revealed "why watch it again"? That reason alone is not enough IMO or else many movies (such as TSS) would not sell as well as they do nor have the repeat box office they had in the theater.
Old 06-02-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think your analogy to The Sixth Sense isn't particularly appropriate. It's not the fact that there are plot twists that detract from the rewatachability ... it's the fact that the majority of the show's enjoyment comes from those twists and their intense presentation. A solid film like The Sixth Sense is about far more than a simple twist. From subtle suspense to compelling character development, I would hope the audience finds more in the film to enjoy than its final act. If you strip away those final scenes, there's still a compelling tale. And if you leave the film as it is, there are numerous layers to the story and subtle nuances worthy of exploring in multiple viewings. What happens in the film, from start to finish, has a point ... a destination.

I don't think the comparison works, especially since the comparison you made isn't really why I don't think 24 has much rewatchability. It's not that it contains plot twists ... it's that there's not much else other than the primary story and the anticipation of what will happen "next." When you strip away the newness of everything, the character interactions are weak
Spoiler:
repeated "heart-to-heart" talks between Palmer and son that make no sense
, the plot twists are contrived and serve little purpose (unlike The Sixth Sense, where the twist actually carries importance more than silly misdirection because they had to fill time), and there's just nothing left. When I watched it the first time, I thought "how is this going to be important later on?" At the end, I realized that many, many things that happened carried no importance whatsoever or were just plain stupid
Spoiler:
amnesia, anyone?
. Watching it a second time, I would no longer cling to the anticpation and would simply see them as the filler that they actually were.

Anyway, that's why I think it has little replay value. It's not because it has plot twists. While I can't speak for the others, I assume their reasons for making those comments come from similar motivation.

das
Old 06-02-03, 07:49 AM

The difference between the plot twists in "24" and something like The Sixth Sense is that in the movie everything is planned out, whereas in the series a lot of the plot twists and such were made up as they went along.

But the rewatchability has nothing to do with the twists and turns. It's just not that good. It was fun to watch once, but I wasn't blown away by the show. It's entertaining enough to hold my interest...but I simply "fire and forget."
Old 06-02-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Das,

If you don't think it was replay value, how come you bought it?

I think it's just like anything else. If it's a good, engaging story with with great acting and characters you care about, then it has replay value.

True, "24" is more about "what's going to happen next." But looking at it overall, it's just one big movie. And I think the show is unique enough from the norm of television shows that it makes for good multuple viewing.

When it was bad, it was quite bad (the middle chunk of episodes), but when it was good, it was extremely good.

Last edited by PacMan2006; 06-02-03 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth PacMan2006
Das,

If you don't think it was replay value, how come you bought it?

Do you really need to ask?

das
Old 06-02-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I know you love television and all. But if you don't think it's something that will bring you back to the TV often enough, why spend the cash on it?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.