TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 5-20-03 "The Chosen"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's the thing about the plan that also bugs me:

Spoiler:
Seriously, any "potential" now gets the Slayer upgrade, and there's no telling if they will use their powers for good or evil, it would seem to beget more problems down the line just so they could juice up the 30 girls inside the Hell Mouth on that day of reckoning.

So now, a Faith spin-off has basically be shelved because Faith isn't all that special now in terms of being a slayer, especially if you got dozens of them running around now. And as much as I want to see Faith get some action, it'd make for a boring show.

While, yes, it gives Buffy a chance to grow old and live like a normal person without the weight of the world on her shoulders, it dilutes the uniqueness of Slayerhood beyond belief.

On the flipside, it does open up possibilities for future big budget Buffy movies without much baggage. Though it would seem having to come out of retirement to bring in rogue slayers might be one storyline for a film, and having to recombine the slayer power again into one single female because the power shared corrupts too many who are juiced up on Slayer power.

Last edited by Patman; 05-20-03 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no words..... well, I have some but I am keeping them for myself. This time around, the naysayers can have their debates to themselves. I'll just keep this perfect little gem in my pocket.

Thanks for a great ride, team Whedon! It was all worth it.
Old 05-20-03, 08:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Very nice emotional last episode

Had a lot to live upto

sure not all loose ends were tidied up but the Buffuniverse is a complex one

was sure either Buffy or Faith would die

Spike can come back no worries, heaps of ways to bring him back

i'm sad now
Old 05-20-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice spoilers, OD.
Old 05-20-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
How do so many of you get to view these episodes in advance week after week? Do I not get to because I live in the states or something? Or is it my UPN affiliate's decision as to when it airs?
Old 05-20-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
How do so many of you get to view these episodes in advance week after week? Do I not get to because I live in the states or something? Or is it my UPN affiliate's decision as to when it airs?
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but up here in Canada, we don't have UPN...it just doesn't exist... and Buffy runs on a few channels...one of which show it on Monday night, so that's how I get to see it a day early.

MATT
Old 05-20-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Trying to figure out a way to post this w/o upsetting the moderators... lets say it has something to do with something that is the opposite of uploading.

The episodes were availible on Mondays. Im not saying I have, or anybody should have been looking for them, but that is generally when a bird told me they were.

Last edited by costanza187; 05-20-03 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by costanza187
Trying to figure out a way to post this w/o upsetting the moderators... lets say it has something to do with something that is the opposite of uploading.

The episodes were availible on Mondays. Im not saying I have, or anybody should have been looking for them, but that is generally when a bird told me they were.
Why would that upset anyone? It's not like these are "pay per view" or anything. I don't think we're screwing anyone out of money or something. I liken it to recording it on a tape or something.

Spoiler:
Some folks have mentioned the fact that now EVERYONE can be a slayer, and that take some of the fun out of it. I was thinking about this today and there is nothing that says that they couldn't just start another show where the Big Bad takes all the slayers' powers away and we're back where we started. Sure it's a cheat, but if Willow found a way to give all these girls the power, it makes sense someone could find a way to reverse it.
Old 05-20-03, 08:22 PM

I think the Spike being on Angel thing didn't come from Team Whedon, or either someone leaked it to throw everyone off. Joss told TV Guide the day after the Spike on Angel story came out that he didn't know where that came from , but it didn't come from him. He said that it had not been decided yet. I for one hope he will be on Angel , but can't figure out how in the world they would do it.

Clint
Old 05-20-03, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Rocky_Raccoon
I think the Spike being on Angel thing didn't come from Team Whedon, or either someone leaked it to throw everyone off. Joss told TV Guide the day after the Spike on Angel story came out that he didn't know where that came from , but it didn't come from him. He said that it had not been decided yet. I for one hope he will be on Angel , but can't figure out how in the world they would do it.

Clint
It wouldn't be very hard, look how many people they've brought back to life on that show. Plus there is the whole prophecy that Spike fulfilled perfectly, making him human. If he is going to be on the show I'm sure that will be the case. They already have a vampire with a soul ex-boyfriend of Buffy on the show
Old 05-20-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who ever said that Willow's spell would last forever? She, obviously, thinks it will, but the power may very well fade out of everyone except Faith and Buffy as time goes on.

I thought it was a great episode, much more satisfing than the X-Files send off last year.

God, I'm going to miss this show. Buffy is, without a doubt, my all time favorite tv show. I really hope they go with the Faith spin off after her new show gets canned on Fox. It is going up against CSI, so unless it gets moved relatively quickly, it won't stand a chance.
Old 05-20-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A fitting end to a great show. For the most part, there were only four shows I watched on TV: 1) Buffy, 2) Angel, 2) WWE Raw, and 4) WWE SmackDown. Raw and SD started to suck royal arse, so only Buffy and Angel remained. Now Buffy's gone, and and I don't dig reality tv, so it looks like Angel will be the only show I watch, maybe with some time to view Eliza's show.

In terms of Spike, I doubt WB would have posted him as part of the cast on their website if they didn't have some sort of official confirmation.
Old 05-20-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt i need spoiler tags, but I'll go ahead and put them here just in case.

Spoiler:
To me it seemed more like a season ending than a series ending, I think it is very open to be continued at a later date...there are many ways the story could be continued. That gives us all hope for maybe something to look forward to in the future.
Old 05-20-03, 09:14 PM

Thanks das for summing up a lot of things I've been thinking about the past few days. Buffy is/was and shall always be a special show. My only regret is that it took the end of the series for Team Whedon to put the fun back in the show.
Buffy is still special and so are all the other slayers created with tonight's episode. Whedon's vision of a world where women are not victims came full circle this evening and I look forward to the next chapter in whatever form or medium it may take. Bye bye Buffy. Thanks for all those great Tuesday nights.
Originally posted by das Monkey
I'm not sure how to organize my thoughts on this episode, so I'm not going to. Nothing that happened made particularly "logical" sense, and the leaps in plot were incredibly far-fetched, and I'm sure some people aren't going to be happy with it, but it doesn't really matter to me. This finale had impossible expectations, and there's really nothing they could have done to satisfy anyone, and it seems like they recognized that and put the "fun" back into the final two episodes. We went back to basics with crisp dialogue, witty references, and a nice homage to the original Scoobies that started this whole train seven years ago.

Ultimately, if there is one truth in the Buffyverse, it's that Good and Evil will always be around in a constant struggle. There will always be another apocalypse around the corner (or in the case of this season's Angel, an anti-apocalypse of sorts), and there will always be someone left to reset the balance. Consequently, there is no ultimate gratification for "saving the world" in the series finale. They've saved it before; they (or someone else) will save it again. They've fought grand sweeping battles, defeated numerous Big Bads, made heroic speeches about love and friendship, and given their lives to save each other and the world. It's all been done, and will have to be done again ... and again.

The gratification then comes from releasing Buffy from the chains that have been the foundation of the show from the beginning. While we've grown to love all these characters, the show isn't Slayer and Friends, it's Buffy, the Vampire Slayer ... at its heart, it has always been about one lonely girl carrying the weight of the world. She has great and powerful friends, but in the end it was always up to her, and she's never been able to truly find any happiness. While it took some leaps in plot and some suspension of disbelief to get there, it's a resolution I can be happy with: Good vs. Evil is the constant ... that Buffy no longer carries this burdon alone is something to celebrate, and I'm very happy for her.

I don't want to overanalyze this finale. It is what it is ... and looking back on the entire series, I find it to be fitting. It's painful to close this chapter of television history, but I'm very thankful I've been able to participate from the initial airing of "Welcome to the Hell Mouth" all the way to today. I watch a lot of television and enjoy most of it, but Buffy is one of those few shows that I genuinely love. It's difficult to "set it free," but it will always be in my heart. It had a great run, and I look forward to a lifetime of reminiscing about how special this show really was. My thanks go out to everyone who played a part in enriching the television landscape with this wonderful show. Its legacy will certainly endure long after tonight's airing.

Last edited by Nathan Gervais; 05-20-03 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tanaraq
What did Spike say when
Spoiler:
he woke up from his dream in the basement? I couldn't make it out, so I wonder if maybe he was having some type of prophetic dream about how he will come back to life for his days on Angel. Then again since I didn't make out what he said it could have just been a nonsense line for a joke.
I believe he said "I'm drowning in footwear".
Old 05-20-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting to note that while it changed networks, Buffy always kept its timeslot. It truly will leave a gap.
Old 05-20-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
All in all I'd say that was a good sendoff - leaps and bounds better than the final episode of The X-Files! It was nice to see the humor back in the show and to hear Buffy give Giles some props for once this season.

Spoiler:
I was never an Anya fan so I wasn't broken up about her death. The death cheat with Wood was kinda funny I almost cried when I thought he was dead but then nope, he's breathing. My only issue was the way Buffy recovered nicely from the mortal gut wound she had. I know slayers heal quickly but Buffy has that Jack Bauer stamina going to be jumping off rooftops after a near-death experience.
Old 05-20-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe it's just me, but I really can't stand "Buffy" Willow, but adore "Angel" Willow. Does that make any sense?
Old 05-20-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Goodbye, Buffy.

Thanks for entertaining me... A LOT!
Old 05-20-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorite line - "That's my girl - always doing the stupid thing."
Old 05-20-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Patman, to address your concerns:

Spoiler:

At first it bothered me that all the potentials in the world were "activated."

But look at it this way, unless Buffy died or lost her powers, we wouldn't know what "The Slayer" was doing now unless they mentioned it on "Angel." It would seem strange to me to know that they were battling evil in Cleveland and we never got to see it.

This was the perfect way to end it. Buffy is still special, but the burden is no longer on her and her friends alone. She has allies around the world and it will be a better place because of it.

It's such a great ending.

Thanks for the last 7 years, Mutant Enemy. We've had our ups and downs, but you came through in the end, as you always do.
Old 05-20-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Overall I thought it was a fitting end, but also had problems with many of the liberties they took with character development during this episode. I was very disappointed they chose to throw in even more speeches that dragged on, and then cut the ONE speech I wanted to hear, Andrew's. Still that could not spoil the fact that I was extremely saddened to be watching the last episode of a series I have loved watching since day 1. I am glad I was able to hop on so early, and ride until the end. The episode was mostly enjoyable, and I'm glad my multiple slayer idea from a previous Buffy thread actually got used, although in a different fashion. And damnit it's an axe. Was kind of shocked at the suddenness of the deaths during the episode. They seemed really unexpected and jarring although I expected there to be deaths. I was surprised how brutally Anya was cut down there.

Does anyone else think Willow was actually pretty hot as a blonde?

Ok I really have to mention though that if Whedon does any other shows to PLEASE keep some consistency regarding either the strength of your heroes or villains. The show went from people being unable to defeat vampires, hence a slayer, to regular people seeming to have only slight trouble defeating tons of ubervamps?
Old 05-20-03, 10:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
It's sad that this was the last Buffy. I agree that their was no way they could live up to the expectations people had for this so overall I thought it was very good. The scene with Anya dying and Andrew telling Xander that she went down fighting was sad.

I'd love to know how they're going to work Spike into Angel next year.
Old 05-20-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this episode. It was so great how everything came together: all the potentials gathering in town, all the people fleeing Sunnydale, and even Cassie's prediction to Spike "One day she'll tell you..."

It was just perfect.
Old 05-20-03, 10:34 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by spainlinx0

Ok I really have to mention though that if Whedon does any other shows to PLEASE keep some consistency regarding either the strength of your heroes or villains. The show went from people being unable to defeat vampires, hence a slayer, to regular people seeming to have only slight trouble defeating tons of ubervamps?
That's the main thing that bugged me about the episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.