Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ABC - Fall 2003: The Practice and Dragnet both coming back.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-12-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Practice back to its old night/time. Dragnet probably moving to Saturdays at 10.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5939

Monday, May 12, 2003 - 8:41 AM
'The Practice,' 'Dragnet' to Return as ABC Finalizes Its Fall Schedule
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) - ABC's fall 2003 schedule began to take shape over the weekend as the Alphabet network has greenlighted four new comedies: "Hope & Faith," "It's All Relative" (previously untitled Flett-Giordano & Ranberg project), "The Big House" (previously untitled Kevin Hart project) and its untitled project from Tom Hertz. All but Hertz's project are expected to make the fall schedule with the latter coming in at midseason.

The big news however is that ABC has renewed "The Practice" for an eighth season and the drama will return to its old Sunday, 10:00/9:00c slot. The deal comes after lengthy negotiations between ABC and distributor 20th Century Fox. Various sources indicated that ABC's current license fee for the series ($6.5 million per episode) has been slashed in half in order to get the pickup. Current Sunday, 10:00/9:00c time slot holder "Dragnet" has also been given the go-ahead for next season with the series expected to move to Saturdays at 10:00/9:00c.

The Alphabet also confirmed the resurrection of its TGIF comedy block on Friday nights with both "The George Lopez Show" and "Life With Bonnie" moving to the night. As for its other comedies, "Eight Simple Rules," "According to Jim" and "My Wife and Kids" are expected to stay put in their current slots.

ABC announces its fall schedule tomorrow afternoon.

to the return of Dragnet. It is going to a benign time slot where it won't be asked to do much - could be smart too if NBC continues with their Law & Order Saturdays - they could siphon off some viewers there.
Old 05-12-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Well, I for one am a little happy The Practice is coming back. Those last few shows did show some promise. I like the new cast members and it'll be interesting to see what happens to Bobby out on his own.
I wonder if as a condition for renewal, David Kelly had to promise no more Bobby / Lindsey fights?
Old 05-12-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree to the for Dragnet. I am glad that it will be back.
Old 05-12-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by movieking
I agree to the for Dragnet. I am glad that it will be back.
Ditto. Glad to see at least one quality program being brought back.
Old 05-12-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A huge to Dragnet being brought back. I didn't think the show would be any good when I first started seeing commercials, but it's quickly become one of my favorite shows on TV.
Old 05-12-03, 03:38 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Another for Dragnet.

And Ihope USA continues to show them too (PQ is better on USA and better for recording for me).
Old 05-12-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure I am being paranoid, but... as far as everyone knows, Alias will be coming back, right?

Has anyone heard anything about time slots? I think Alias is going to continue to lose to L&O:CI, so I would be happy to see it moved... maybe to Monday at 8? Jennifer Garner and MNF... what would be better?
Old 05-12-03, 04:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alias will be back.

If the Practice can continue on the path it was on the last few episodes I'm glad it's coming back. Also happy Dragnet is coming back.
Old 05-12-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Decker
I like the new cast members and it'll be interesting to see what happens to Bobby out on his own. I wonder if as a condition for renewal, David Kelly had to promise no more Bobby / Lindsey fights?
Yeah...and NO MORE SHOUTING!!

And get a new composer for the background score..

And give Lara a couple sammitches dammit..that stick needs some MEAT on them bones NOT her lips..
Old 05-12-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, I don't think I can face another season of The Practice. I've been in for the long haul, but I really was hoping this would be the end...

Unfortunately, my wife is still a fan, so I get stuck watching it (at least as background noise). Oh well, maybe they'll turn it around.
Old 05-12-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
I hope USA continues to show them too (PQ is better on USA and better for recording for me).
Me too. USA is a lifesaver.
Old 05-12-03, 06:08 PM

Nice, i quite liked Dragnet. I'm glad it's coming back.
Old 05-12-03, 08:53 PM

hopefully they move alias to mondays at 9....but i have a strange feeling that there's a chance hey'll move it to wednesday night at 9, up against smallville.
Old 05-12-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The cool thing about renewing Dragnet is that if it stays in it's current spot, I'll be able to watch it now since Boomtown has moved to Friday nights.
Old 05-12-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
to both coming back.
Old 05-13-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

More info. The official lineup announcement comes later today for ABC.

ABC plots an overall overhaul
By Gary Levin, USA TODAY

ABC plans a radical revamping of its schedule, adding four comedies, three dramas and switching time slots on several shows.

Among changes to be announced today: A revival of TGIF family sitcoms on Fridays, a move of The Wonderful World of Disney to Saturdays and the return of The Practice to 10 p.m. ET/PT Sundays, as Dragnet shifts to Saturdays.

Although ratings are up slightly from a disastrous 2001-02 season, ABC ranks a distant third among both total viewers and its target young-adult audience. In addition, all six of the new dramas it has tried this season are gone.

Core series 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter, According to Jim, NYPD Blue, The Bachelor and Alias remain in their current time slots, to be surrounded by new series. And a third newsmagazine, PrimeTime Monday, will team with Monday Night Football.

ABC's new shows:

Hope and Faith, a comedy starring Kelly Ripa (Live With Regis and Kelly) as a failed soap star who adjusts to small-town life with her sister, played by Faith Ford (Murphy Brown). Ripa will continue to co-host her talk show.

I'm With Her, a romantic sitcom about a movie star (Teri Polo) who dates a high school teacher. It's from writer Chris Henchy, who is married to Brooke Shields.

It's All Relative, a comedy about a man from a conservative family engaged to the daughter of gay dads.

Back to Kansas, a comedy about a shy New Yorker who marries into a large Midwestern family.

Karen Sisco, a drama starring Carla Gugino (Spy Kids) as a federal marshal in the role originated by Jennifer Lopez in Out of Sight.

10-8, a drama about rookie cops training in Los Angeles.

Threat Matrix, a drama about a homeland security task force.

Frankly, I can't say any of these new shows interest me except maybe Threat Matrix. Could be something for me to pick up particularly if CBS dumps The Agency.
Old 05-13-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A show about Karen Sisco w/ Carla Gugino? Who's producing that? It's the first I heard of it. I liked the character in the movie and I have always liked Carla Gugino. I'd be really happy if they bring back Dennis Farina to play her father. I will have to check it out.

I am surprised Life w/ Bonnie is coming back. The show has been on hiatus for months, I thought it had already received its death sentence. It's not the best show, but I have always like Bonnie Hunt and she does a pretty good job w/ the show.
Old 05-13-03, 10:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the lineup
Old 05-13-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MrX
Here's the lineup
MONDAY:
8:00 p.m "Primetime Monday"
9:00 p.m "Monday Night Football" (through January)
8:00 p.m "ABC Movie of the Week" (in January after football)

TUESDAY:
8:00 p.m "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter"
8:30 p.m "I'm with Her"
9:00 p.m "According to Jim" (new time period)
9:30 p.m "Less Than Perfect"
10:00 p.m "NYPD Blue"

WEDNESDAY:
8:00 p.m "My Wife and Kids"
8:30 p.m "It's All Relative"
9:00 p.m "The Bachelor"
10:00 p.m "Karen Sisco"

THURSDAY:
8:00 p.m "Threat Matrix"
9:00 p.m "Extreme Makeover" (new day and time)
10:00 p.m "Primetime Thursday"

FRIDAY:
8:00 p.m "George Lopez" (new day and time)
8:30 p.m "Back to Kansas"
9:00 p.m "Hope & Faith"
9:30 p.m "Life with Bonnie" (new day and time)
10:00 p.m "20/20"

SATURDAY:
8:00 p.m "The Wonderful World of Disney" (new day and time)
10:00 p.m "L.A. Dragnet" (new day and title)

SUNDAY:
7:00 p.m "America's Funniest Home Videos" (new day and time)
8:00 p.m "10-8"
9:00 p.m "Alias"
10:00 p.m "The Practice" (new day and time)

Oh Well - I guess I won't be watching much Threat Matrix. It probably won't make it too long anyway given the death timeslot.

Wonder why the change of 'Dragnet' to 'L.A. Dragnet.'
Old 05-13-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sweet, I will be able to watch "Karen Sisco" at 10/9 pm central on Wednesdays since I am not a L&O junkie. Hopefully it gets more than three or four weeks (if it deserves it of course).
Old 05-13-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking about watching Extreme Makeover until I realized they spelled it the old fashioned way. If they'd spelled it XXXtreeme Makeover, now that would have been really cool, and I would have watched it for sure.

Old 05-13-03, 11:26 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like they gave Alias an actual lead-in instead of a Disney movie.To bad it's still in it's terrible timeslot.
Old 05-13-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would they change the name of Dragnet to "LA Dragnet"? Makes no sense to me.

I have to admit that I have a huge crush on Kelly Ripa. I will be checking out her new series. On Live today, Regis said that it would be airing on Tuesday nights, but I guess it will be Fridays.

Threat Matrix looks interesting, but with a horrible timeslot and a stupid overused plot device ("Special Agent John Kilmer heads the Homeland Security Agency, dedicating his life to diverting disaster and keeping America safe. Oh yeah, and he works with his lovely, lethal ex-wife"), I think that I will pass.
Old 05-13-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Why would they change the name of Dragnet to "LA Dragnet"? Makes no sense to me.

The only thing I can think of is to distiguish it somehow from the original.

Frankly, I still think Dick Wolf and ABC should call it Law & Order: Dragnet. My guess is that NBC's lawyers wouldn't go for it though.

What would really be cool is a crossover btwn Dragnet and L&O. I have a feeling that NBC might push for a L&O/Boomtown crossover though.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-13-03 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe to differentiate it from the inevitable Dick Wolf spin-offs? Then they can have Miami Dragnet, New York Dragnet, Kansas City Dragnet, Little Rock Dragnet, and Springfield Dragnet without anyone getting confused...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.