Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy - 5/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I have to admit that I haven't really kept up with Buffy that much but since when did they start sprinkling hornball juice into the water in Sunnydale. Did everybody have to get it on?

The previews for next week with Angel in them looked pretty interesting though.
Old 05-07-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
As most have said, the ep largely seemed to be filler - though those final ten minutes pretty much made it all worthwhile.

I know I seem to be alone on this, but I like Kennedy. She has a bad attitude (albeit a misdirected, often wrong one) but at least she speaks up and stirs things up. The rest of the SITs seem kinda bland.

Great to see The Mayor again!!
Old 05-07-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So if Principal Woods boffs a slayer is it like boffing his mother? Come on the question begs to be answered. After Faith mounted Woods I was waiting for Marvin Gaye's "Lets Get it On" to accompany the scenes to follow.

For the love of anything holy can Kennedy get killed, and I do not mean a "wimpery" death I mean drawn and quartered in front of Willow.

Anyone else notice the inflamation around Dushku's tatoo, it was there last week and last night's episode. It gives credibility to the reports earlier that she was filming her appearances (in BTVS) out of episode order allowing her to continue her pilot.

The only thing missing from this shagfest was Caleb witnessing The First (as Buffy) and the real Buffy kissing.
Old 05-07-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by retihsuhnt
So if Principal Woods boffs a slayer is it like boffing his mother? Come on the question begs to be answered.
So, if your mother was a bartender, and you slept with a bartender, that's like sleeping with your mother?
Old 05-07-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tell me the last slayer to have a child? And if the boys at BTVS want to have a skinemax episode, their audience can sure as hell make fun of it.
Old 05-07-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts
Buffy just hurts now. It's like having a girl that you're dating and really like, all of a sudden freak out on you and turn into someone you wouldn't have dated in the first place. At least we still have Angel - hopefully he'll bring some of the goodness from his show to Buffy's next week.
Old 05-07-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
So they're telling me that there is a town full of the UberVamps running around? We havent' seen these things for weeks. Buffy has such a hard time beating one but now that they're all over the place no one seems to care? I feel like I've missed an episode somewhere where they explained what was going on.
Old 05-07-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen anything about a town full of ubervamps, but there were hundreds/thousands poised at the seal ready for battle a few episodes back.

It's unfortunate that with so very few episodes left to go they chose to do an episode that was mainly filler. Sure, some things happened, but it was an awfully talky episode. Nothing wrong with that most of the time, but this close to the end it should be more story, less filler.

I like how citizens have been leaving Sunnydale in droves, it adds to the impending doom.
Old 05-07-03, 09:39 PM
Cool New Member

This episode also reminds me of something foreshadowing in the future spin-off "Ripper".....Does anybody notice Giles is a "killer?"
He killed Ben/Glory in season 5 and in this episode he killed one of the bringers.
Old 05-07-03, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
I like how citizens have been leaving Sunnydale in droves, it adds to the impending doom.
That just has me yelling, "Why? Why? WHY?" at the screen, and gritting my teeth.

It's the biggest violation of the "Show, don't tell" rule they've currently got going. Things are really bad, and everyone's running away. Because things're really bad. But there's no obvious structural damage, less general chaos than at the end of last week's Angel, and no perceived increase in the amount of demons and vampires in the area. And the Bronze is still really popular, filled with people who're acting like their usual selves. So... huh?

They certainly had time to show Sunnydale going to hell (the closest they got was the seal making the school nuts, but they fixed that and it went away). They could have had all sorts of interesting B- and C-plots about monsters running amuck in the town. It could have even contributed to the large amount of cowering fear everyone was exhibiting, even though there wasn't much of a serious threat for most of the season. But they chose not to show anything going awry in the normally tought town of Sunnydale. It makes the whole exodus feel tacked-on.
Old 05-07-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kallen
This episode also reminds me of something foreshadowing in the future spin-off "Ripper".....Does anybody notice Giles is a "killer?"
He killed Ben/Glory in season 5 and in this episode he killed one of the bringers.
Everybody's a killer in the Buffyverse. Except Buffy, Dawn, Wood, and Xander...
Old 05-08-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by costanza187
Let's hope Kennedy
Spoiler:
got it in the explosion
. She is really getting on my nerves. I noticed the pierced tongue too last night, WTH is up with that? (that is one my own personal issues that just gross me out beyond)...anyways, piercings aside...let's hope she doesn't make it to a spinoff.
Apparently tongue piercings are great for performing oral sex on women. So it would stand to reason .... (licka, licka, licka)
Old 05-08-03, 09:27 AM

Regarding the sex scene with Willow and Kennedy...
"I'll be in my bunk..."

Seriously though, this episode was worth watching just for the Faith/Mayor scene. Very nicely done.
Old 05-08-03, 04:40 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why everyone is complaining about the 'filler' - this is building closure for the characters and I for one would rather have it here than in the finale.

Two more weeks - I don't know if I'm excited or sad...
Old 05-08-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just hope there's not so much "flashlight" fighting in the final episodes. I know Buffy is supposed to be dark, but I've been unable to make out what's been going on in the fight scenes recently.

I don't know whether they're keeping everything dark because they don't have stunt doubles for all the S.I.T.s, or whether it's an intentional thing for another reason. But I don't particularly care for seeing a bunch of really skinny girls doing kung fu in a mostly dark room that's occasionally lit by a few flashlights. That's not entertainment.
Old 05-12-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I thought this episode was great. Really started moving things forward.

Things I liked:

Spike telling everyone off. Go Spike! That's exactly how I felt at the end of last week!

Spike/Buffy screen-time. Great stuff. Loved Spike's speech and Buffy opening up/thawing a little.

Andrew. Not only was he still funny this week, I thought he did a great job "channeling" the Bringer.

Faith/Mayor. Nice to see Wilkins again.

Buffy non-fighting Caleb. Love that she thought of that. And I loved her smile when she saw that weapon. Also liked Caleb's comment about the First being confusing by always being Buffy.

The ending was cool. Very shocking. Hope some of the SIT's die. But not in a sociopathic way.

Things that were okay:

Sex scenes. I think that if the world were ending in RL, sex would be a top priority for me. So that was totally believable. I thought Xander/Anya hooking up again was great. But I don't like the chemisty (or lack of) between Willow and Kennedy (mostly cause I hate Kennedy's guts), so I thought their scene went on WAY too long.

Things I didn't like:

Really dark fight scene at the end. What the hell was going on? I'm all for using the lighting as a mood-enhancer, but I would also like to see what's going on.

So, all in all, great ep. Nice set up for next week. Can't wait for the final two eps.

X
Old 05-13-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
I've been watching Buffy the last few weeks since it was winding down and because of Faith's appearance. I finally got around to watching this episode last night, and my only reaction is when did Buffy move to Friday nights on Skinamax? They've taken the g/g action way beyond kissing over on UPN. I couldn't believe my eyes but I'm not complaining.