Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

giving sci-fi some credit

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth ncmojo •<HR SIZE=1>But Farscape was also a very important show to produce. I think that if the show drew amazing ratings, it would financially justify it's existence and continue to be on the air. I don't think Bonnie Hammer and the rest of the folks on Skull Mountain would have done away with a show that was making them money.<HR SIZE=1>

Hence the fact that she's evil. The show took place in space, aka was "geeky" ... in their attempt to transform their image from a geek network to an "everyone is welcome because we don't actually show sci fi anymore" network, such programming has to go. Their press releases over the last 2 years give strong insight into this line of thinking, insane though it may sound. If the show was too expensive, they never would have guaranteed it a brand spankin' new 2 year contract a few months before drastically shifting the "goal" of the channel. When they wanted to air sci fi, the show was the best thing ever. When they wanted to "expand" their viewership, it suddenly became "too expensive" when in fact the production costs never changed. Nothing about the show changed between the time when they guaranteed it 2 more years and the time they cancelled it. The only thing that changed was the network's "vision" or lack thereof.

das
Old 05-06-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what Hammer would do with the Food Network. Or the Golf Channel.
Old 05-06-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wizdar
I wonder what Hammer would do with the Food Network. Or the Golf Channel.
That should be fairly obvious:

Old 05-06-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's OK, Chew. I've been meaning to clean my monitor for some time now.

Old 05-06-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This would be perfect for the Hammer run Golf Channel

Old 05-06-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what Hammer would do with the Food Network.

http://www.culinary.net/resources/ed...ai-m.html#iowa
Old 05-06-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or maybe she could combine her love of the culinary arts with her love of worlds where magic and superstition are real?

Old 05-06-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not gonna ask you what the heck you were doing in culinary.net...
Old 05-06-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not gonna ask you what the heck you were doing in culinary.net...
Hey, a man's gotta have hobbies.
Old 05-07-03, 01:31 AM

If I can see it from VHS or DVD, I won't watch it from spam TV. I knew a certain movie was going to be on TNT, but I still rented it and watched it a few days before the airing. Even if TNT was showing the widescreen version of it, I would have still rented it. Same goes with Scifi and the other channels.

I try to catch them on the premium channels before they hit the spam channels.

Last edited by mike1977; 05-07-03 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-07-03, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sci Fi Channel is useless.

We need a new cable channel called "Cult TV" that just plays old (and maybe a very few new original) sci fi and fantasy TV. No John Edwards or Sightings, no big hollywood movies like Braveheart just nothing but reruns of classic television... Battlestar Galactica, Blakes 7, Doctor Who, V, Time Tunnel, Avengers, Wonder Woman, Lost in Space, Outer Limits, ect, ect. There are lots of classic 60's and 70's sci fi and fantasy shows that people haven't seen in years like 'Project UFO". the nerd factor of the channel would be played up, not down. maybe show movies too, but fun old rare sci fi and fantasy movies with scary monsters and bad special effects.
Old 05-07-03, 08:15 AM

I wonder what it would take for everyone here to pool their resources and talent and connections and start a new basic cable network.... Cause, damn, if the a show premise passed through this panel of critics it would HAVE to be good. oh, the possibilities.
Old 05-07-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jkingfish
Cause, damn, if the a show premise passed through this panel of critics it would HAVE to be good. oh, the possibilities.

A channel full of Babylon 5 and Farscape reunion movies... with occasional new episodes of Sports Night.
Old 05-07-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth bboisvert •<HR SIZE=1>A channel full of Babylon 5 and Farscape reunion movies... with occasional new episodes of Sports Night. <HR SIZE=1>

God, is that you? I'm ready ...

das
Old 05-07-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by turborobb
Sci Fi Channel is useless.

We need a new cable channel called "Cult TV" that just plays old (and maybe a very few new original) sci fi and fantasy TV. No John Edwards or Sightings, no big hollywood movies like Braveheart just nothing but reruns of classic television... Battlestar Galactica, Blakes 7, Doctor Who, V, Time Tunnel, Avengers, Wonder Woman, Lost in Space, Outer Limits, ect, ect. There are lots of classic 60's and 70's sci fi and fantasy shows that people haven't seen in years like 'Project UFO". the nerd factor of the channel would be played up, not down. maybe show movies too, but fun old rare sci fi and fantasy movies with scary monsters and bad special effects.
That is such a great idea. Add shows like The Prisoner and Twin Peaks, not to mention TV oddities like Lancelot Link, Thunderbirds and Land of the Lost...hell, you could fill a whole day with Sid & Marty Krofft productions. If I had $50 million, I'd be all over this. Any investors out there?
Old 05-07-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hell, if I had $50 million, I’d have copies of all that crap and wouldn’t have to bother with commercial TV at all.

Nobody remembers Supercar?
Old 05-07-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nobody remembers Supercar?
Supercar? How about Supertrain?

Now, that's good TV.
Old 05-07-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No no no no.

Supercar. They were, like, just like Thunderbirds, only a coupla years earlier, and they had this really neat tricked-out car that could change around and some junk and...

...ah, nuts. Forget it.
Old 05-07-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anyone remember Higgins Boys & Gruber from the old Comedy Channel? They used to play Supercar on that show all the time. Gerry Anderson had so many cool marionette shows we could fill up the Thursday night schedule with them.
Old 05-07-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No no no no.

Supercar. They were, like, just like Thunderbirds, only a coupla years earlier, and they had this really neat tricked-out car that could change around and some junk and...

...ah, nuts. Forget it.
Oh, I completely understood what you meant. I was just saying Supertrain would've been more in line with Hammer. Supercar, on the other hand, would be a WizdarTV exclusive

Sometimes my brain just runs off the track on tangents. get it, tracks?

Besides, Supercar is the only Gerry Anderson I don't have on DVD: Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, UFO, Stingray...... I just wonder when they'll get around to it!
Old 05-07-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm. [scratches chin thoughtfully]

WizdarTV.

I’m likin’ the sound of that.

And the Saturday Nite Special: every Saturday night at 11:00 (10:00 Central) would be SciFi pr0n night!!
Old 05-07-03, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Does anyone remember Higgins Boys & Gruber from the old Comedy Channel? They used to play Supercar on that show all the time. Gerry Anderson had so many cool marionette shows we could fill up the Thursday night schedule with them.
Awww, YEAH! Higgins Boys was one of my favorites! That and Night After Night With Alan Havey. Those two shows were great! But, the Higgins and all the old serial shows they aired were fantastic. Am I the only one that always thinks a network is the best when it is first finding it's legs? The Comedy Channel was wonderful until it merged with the HA! channel. Personally, I liked all the video-esque live comedy snippets they aired throughout the day. Early Nickelodeon was cool. Sci-Fi, well, we needn't go there. Mtv, back when they showed music... But, eventually, they sell to the highest bidder and you lose the raw edge that made it work in the first place.

If we are going to make our network fly, we have to make a pact to NEVER sell to a big player and hold out until we make a name for ourselves. Oh, we may go hungry many nights, our wives may leave us and alcoholism is a certainty, but once we become a power player, we can buy back all of our memories and make TV worth watching again!!!!

< /Motivational Patton Soapbox>
Old 05-07-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jkingfish
Oh, we may go hungry many nights, our wives may leave us and alcoholism is a certainty, but once we become a power player, we can buy back all of our memories and make TV worth watching again!!!!
THIS is what we get to look forward to?
Old 05-07-03, 02:25 PM

THIS is what we get to look forward to?
Oh, come now! It would be worth it! It would be GOOOORIOUS!

HA!
Old 05-07-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth jkingfish •<HR SIZE=1>we may go hungry many nights, our wives may leave us and alcoholism is a certainty<HR SIZE=1>

I feel like I've stumbled onto the set of das Monkey ... THIS is your life!!!

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.