Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/29/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who performed the best tonight?
Clay
50.72%
Josh
2.90%
Kimberly Locke
8.70%
Ruben
27.54%
Treynce
10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/29/03

Old 04-29-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Idol - 4/29/03

Time to vote again. Who do you want to see get dumped and who deserves another week?

Rumor is that Neil Sedaka will guest host tonight.

Last edited by big whoppa; 04-29-03 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How could there be a vote for Ruben before the show even starts? These are the kind of people that vote players to the All-Star game even though that player has been on the injured list all year. Nice display of non-partisanship.
Old 04-29-03, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know what the theme is for tonight's show?
Old 04-29-03, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by bedhead_75
Does anyone know what the theme is for tonight's show?
The theme is Neil Sedaka songs. According to TV Guide, this is the last theme night. It says, "One more hopeful hits the road and those who remain face a new set of rules. 'Once we get down to four,' says producer Ken Warwick, 'the kids will sing two songs...one of their own choice and one that the judges pick specifically for them."
Old 04-29-03, 07:32 PM

FYI - Here's how our poll fared last week:

Clay Aiken1935%
Ruben Studdard1731%
Kimberly Locke1425%
Carmen Rasmusen24%
Trenyce24%
Joshua Gracin12%

Although it wasn't really hard to do, we correctly picked the bottom three (once again). Unless there is some earth-shattering change in performances tonight, we can expect Trenyce and Joshua to be in the bottom two tomorrow night.

As for whether they will announce a bottom two or a bottom three tomorrow, no one knows. If its the bottom three then #3 position is up for grabs.
Old 04-29-03, 07:44 PM

Would a moderator or the original thread poster mind making the survey multiple choice? Since the voting process itself doesn't limit you to vote for only one contestant, the poll would be more accurate if it also didn't limit voting for a single contestant.
Old 04-29-03, 07:55 PM
Banned

Kim Locke gets my vote this week, she did great !

Simon's 'drag' comment to Trenyce was uncalled for though. I'm not a fan of hers but this was very low IMO.
Old 04-29-03, 08:00 PM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts
You can tell that Josh knows he's gone tomorrow... You can see it in his eyes and in his performances.

For me right now, it's between Ruben and Clay.
Old 04-29-03, 08:14 PM

... on a side note...

Due to the millions of comercials for 'Malcolm in the Middle" during AI, I started to believe that Kim Locke is the body double for Jane Kazmerick in that particular episode.
Old 04-29-03, 08:25 PM

Heh.. i wanted Neil to say:

"Josh.. you're a feel good singer...

... I'm not feeling so good right now"
Old 04-29-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mcbg1

Simon's 'drag' comment to Trenyce was uncalled for though. I'm not a fan of hers but this was very low IMO.
I don't think it was uncalled for, because I think it was true. He probably wasn't speaking about her looks as it seemed he directed it at her performance. It did seem like I was at a bad club having a drag show. She was terrible.

My vote is that Josh will be gone, though. His performances were both banal and disgusting.

The best performance was seen in Clay's first song.
Old 04-29-03, 09:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm voting for Josh. I wasn't a big fan of his performances, but I love my country and support the troops. Do you?
Old 04-29-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
I'm voting for Josh. I wasn't a big fan of his performances, but I love my country and support the troops. Do you?

I hadn't thought about it that way, but now that I do I realize that not voting for Josh is almost directly supporting terrorism.
Old 04-29-03, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I love my country, and I support the troops (heck, my little bro is patrolling the Iraq/Iran border as we speak), but I don't think that that should overshadow his bad performances tonight.

He's out of there.
Old 04-29-03, 10:11 PM

If Josh is voted out tomorrow, then the terrorists have already won.
Old 04-29-03, 10:51 PM

If Kim Locke is voted out tomorrow, then Hostess® has already won... a spokesperson!
Old 04-29-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

WHat really pissed me off tonight is when Josh finished his second performance and had been shot down by Simon, he just had to mention, yet again, that he was a Marine. He knows that the only reason he has been on the show this long is because he is a Marine. But in my opinion people that vote for him just because he is a Marine is a slap in the face of the soldiers that have and are still putting there asses on the line overseas. I don't think putting a television show as top priority over your duty to your country should be worthy of our votes.
Old 04-30-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, the only reason Josh has made it this far is the pro-military sentiment in the country right now. He isn't even close to being in the same league with the other four.
Old 04-30-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
A few notes about tonight's show:

Josh is gone. And after seeing his expressions during that performance of "Bad Blood," I think he needs to pick up some Metamucil or something.

Trenyce was way overpraised on her rendition of "Love Will Keep Us Together." While "Proud Mary" was energetic, it reminded me of amusent park entertainment.

Kim was decent on both songs, though I definitely disagree with Simon's comments about the bar being raised.

Ruben was highly mediocre with "Ain't Too Proud to Beg." But his "Breakin' Up Is Hard to Do" was the vocal highlight of the show. Still think his visual performance lacks greatly. If he does that arm stretch thing again, I"ll break the TV!

Clay probably was strongest overall for the night, though I must disagree with Paula. Tonight he even seemed more Broadway bound than ever. His rendition of "Solitaire" convinced me...I'm ready for the TV record offers to start pouring in..The Heart Touching Magic of Clay Aiken or Clay Aiken: All My Best. "He's sold more records than Julia Roberts and George Clooney combined."
Old 04-30-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Yes, the only reason Josh has made it this far is the pro-military sentiment in the country right now. He isn't even close to being in the same league with the other four.
But man can Josh do pushups...

oh wait...

Last edited by Alyoshka; 04-30-03 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-30-03, 05:31 AM

Has Kim lost weight or is she just wearing more apropriate clothes? Maybe we need some before and after shots of her to decide.
Old 04-30-03, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Josh stunk up the joint last night. The guy sings more out of breath than Ruben, which is weird considering Josh should be in better shape given his occupation. He should be given the boot if the callers are actually listening to his singing.

Kimberley totally destroys the melody of the songs she sings. I find her renditions of these classic songs almost unrecognizable (in a bad way). Her raspiness is distracting to me nowadays.

Ruben bores me now. The only thing he's got going for him is that he's got that big goofy smile on his face when he sings. Sometimes he reminds me of Chef on South Park when he gets that concerned look going before the judges.

Trenyce needs to velcro her fingers to the microphone because all those finger movements on the mic are so distracting and add very little to her performance. She still hasn't found a unique "Trenyce" voice yet, rather she's sort of stuck mimicking divas singing instead of being a little more original sounding. She seems the most "karaoke-like" of the remaining singers.

Clay was the one that raised the bar last night. He brought in the energy when needed for the first song, and brought in the calm, somberness needed for the second song. Simon noticed that Clay took direction well and it paid off for him.

Neil Sedaka was damn happy to be there last night. He was so happy and giddy with a big ol' smile on his face. I'd rank him just behind Lionel Ritchie for the guest judges.
Old 04-30-03, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Booth
Would a moderator or the original thread poster mind making the survey multiple choice? Since the voting process itself doesn't limit you to vote for only one contestant, the poll would be more accurate if it also didn't limit voting for a single contestant.
I didn't see that option when creating the poll.

Anyway, Trenyce hit it out the ballpark tonight. She did "Proud Mary" well, proud. Nice rendition of "Love will keep us together." She was my favorite last night. Also classy of her not to talk back to Simon after the "drag" remark. Must of had to do with her dress.

Ruben was better on the second song. Same for Kim L.

Odd selection for Clay's first song. He received the royal treatment (advantage?) with the spotlight as he sang "Solitaire."

Josh was back to country. First song was lame and second wasn't much better. Last night he lost it with his inability to accept criticism of his performance from Simon which is what he's paid to do. Marine restraint? Sure, Simon probably could kick his ass after the pushup demonstration.

Josh deserves to go. The audience was clearly the least into his performance. You know they were rooting for him. Then again, since it's a popularity contest, it might be Treynce or even Kimberly.

I guess since all the hoochies got the boot (Carmen and Kim C), interest in AI discussion has waned a little.

Last edited by big whoppa; 04-30-03 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-30-03, 06:25 AM

Was Neil Sedaka reading from notes? Several times he looked down at something as he was commenting on the performances.

Speaking of Ruben looking like Chef - I'd love to here him sing "Chocolate, Salty, Balls".

On a side note: Luther Vandross was scheduled to be a judge next week, but is currently fighting for his life after a stroke.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ss-vigil_x.htm
Old 04-30-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shaggybrown
Was Neil Sedaka reading from notes? Several times he looked down at something as he was commenting on the performances.

On a side note: Luther Vandross was scheduled to be a judge next week, but is currently fighting for his life after a stroke.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ss-vigil_x.htm
Yeah, I noticed that too about Neil. Why would he have to take notes?

I'd like to hear Luther's comments about Rubin.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.