Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Game Show Network holding out on us?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that on these Funniest Game Show Moments shows that A LOT of footage comes from the Game Show Network, and the majority of the clips are of shows that GSN doesn't even air! We are given endless airings of Lingo and Russian Roulette but they seem to have many shows in their library (including some interesting British game shows!) that I would much rather see.
Old 04-17-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I tired of Lingo really quickly, and now I don't ever watch Friend or Foe or Russian Roulette either. Both of the former are decent shows, but they don't have much staying power.

I wish they would put on some of these other shows they had clips of.
Old 04-18-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I don't understand why they don't show old Price is Rights from the 70s and 80s.
Old 04-18-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They used to show old price is rights but I think it was due to the scandal is the main reason they don't show it any more.
Old 04-18-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
They used to show old price is rights but I think it was due to the scandal is the main reason they don't show it any more.
What scandal?
Old 04-18-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at least you guys have the game show network! i used to til i moved
Old 04-18-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
What scandal?
Barker had some scandall in the mid 90's till around last year, where some of the beauties filed for sexual harrassment.
Old 04-19-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Barker had some scandall in the mid 90's till around last year, where some of the beauties filed for sexual harrassment.
I thought it was just the one beauty that filed suit. He admitted to having a relationship with her, but since neither were married there was no basis for a suit.

There must be thousands of old game shows in their vaults, yet we get stuck with "Friend or Foe" and, the most idiotic game I've ever seen, "Cram".

Honk!
Old 04-19-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cram sucks. The reason I don't like it (the premise is entertaining enough) is that the questions are not easilly known if you want to play at home on the computer. It appears to be made by the same production company who made game shows for Comedy Central (I know I've seen that donkey logo before on Comedy Central). If that's the case, and they have access to really GOOD game shows like Beat the Geeks (my favorite from Comedy Central) then I would rather they show that instead.

I think they show their game shows so often in the day because it equals cheap programming for them since it's original programming. But my thing is if all these other game shows, including the British ones, are already sitting in their vault, then that's money they have already PAID to get those game shows, so why not try to get some revunue back off of it by airing them? Would anybody else tune in to watch an evening of British game shows? I sure would!
Old 04-19-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Their new shows are...well...crap.

I love the older shows and would much rather have them on the show than the new ones.

But there has to be diversity.
Old 04-19-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by conscience
Their new shows are...well...crap.
Beats their old shows, tho. I remember when I first got GSN on my cable package, they had some show on there, I forget the name of it, where some guy you never saw sat off camera and there was one static camera shot of three players and the off camera guy would ask (in this low voice) question after question after question and each player would guess the answer and he'd give some snide remark if they were wrong. Horrible, horrible show.
Old 04-19-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beats their old shows, tho. I remember when I first got GSN on my cable package, they had some show on there, I forget the name of it, where some guy you never saw sat off camera and there was one static camera shot of three players and the off camera guy would ask (in this low voice) question after question after question and each player would guess the answer and he'd give some snide remark if they were wrong. Horrible, horrible show.
Thanks but I'll take any old show over any of the nightly line up (sans Match Game) .

And it stinks that if you want to watch the older shows (that they still show) you have to be home in the morning and afternoon.
Old 04-19-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

That was Inquisition. That was a great game show - the only original GSN show that I have ever liked.