Reload this Page >

Wizdar rants yet again: why TNN needs to be [UNBANNED]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-18-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect that many of you are of the impression (and not without reason) that I never have anything positive to say. Well, hold on to your butts, folks, ‘cause I’m doing a complete 180 on a previous rant. I’m recommending enthusiastically the Friday nite Trek uncut on TNN.

Due to the weirdness of finding several channels on DirecTV broadcasting with the east coast feed, my viewing habits have been all but destroyed. TNG pops up, and I’ve been meaning to give it a look to see just how “uncut” their Friday airings are. Surely, says I, they must be doing something to get around the 45-minute barrier. Maybe a PIP ad box, or lotsa stuff in the bottom banner, yes?

Well, to quote Gomer Pyle, “Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise!” TNN gets an A- rating. Not only is the program incest-free, gone is the irritating banner leaving only a transparent monochrome bug of average size. Not a damn_thing else. Honest!

Commercials were placed at the appropriate transitions. In fact, some breaks were skipped altogether (such as after the opening credits), leaving only three commercial breaks from the opening scene to the closing credits. And the only reason they got an A- is because of the TNN spots during the closing credits, not unlike what we’re more or less used to. I can forgive them for that: it’s only the credits, after all. And not the entire credits at that.

I’m not interested in politics, so I couldn’t care less if they’ve got a coupla chivvys up on cinder blocks in their lobby, or if they’ve got a penchant for Pamela Anderson and rasslin’. There’s folks around here what likes that kinda stuff, folks whose opinions I respect and look forward to. So, I’m done with that type of trash talk, for now at least.

Count me in with mikehunt when next they show “Yesterday’s Enterprise.” Denise Crosby gives me the hot.

They put the FU back in fun.
Old 04-18-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can you tell me if they are planning to show the uncut borg episodes from season 4 and ending at 5? I don't want the dvd for those two episodes, and I am having trouble finding the tng borg vhs that was released.
Old 04-19-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I don't want the dvd for those two episodes, and I am having trouble finding the tng borg vhs that was released.
Do you realize that sentence states that you do NOT want the DVDs for those episodes, but DO want the VHS?!

[Banned]!

I know there has to be a reasonable explanation, for much like pondering eternity, my mind cannot wrap itself around the concept of preferring VHS to DVD.
Old 04-19-03, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Do you realize that sentence states that you do NOT want the DVDs for those episodes, but DO want the VHS?!

[Banned]!

I know there has to be a reasonable explanation, for much like pondering eternity, my mind cannot wrap itself around the concept of preferring VHS to DVD.
maybe he does not want to spend the king's ransom Paramount charges for their Trek box sets. If all he wants are those episodes then we are talking about over 200 bucks for two hours worth of Next Gen. Or I could be totally wrong.
Old 04-19-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could be. If he shops around, it's only ~$170.
Old 04-19-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
maybe he does not want to spend the king's ransom Paramount charges for their Trek box sets. If all he wants are those episodes then we are talking about over 200 bucks for two hours worth of Next Gen. Or I could be totally wrong.
Plus, I go to suncoast to get my dvds so for around 2 hours of star trek, its close to 300 bucks. The 4 tape vhs that contains 4 borg episodes, are like 54.99 on amazon.
Old 04-19-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rypro 525 •<HR SIZE=1>Plus, I go to suncoast to get my dvds ...<HR SIZE=1>

Perhaps you should check this out.

das
Old 04-19-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so....getting back on track here.....

what the heck is so Uncut about Trek Uncut?

Less commercial breaks thats it?
Old 04-19-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

less commercials, no syndication edits, and no annoying black bar at the bottom.
Old 04-19-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
all I've really noticed is that the show ends at like x:53-55 and has a huge block of commercials at the end, and that they skip some of the normal breaks, i.e. it fades to black then fades back
I think it's the same amount of commercials, just with most at the end instead of during the show
Old 04-19-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone confirm that TNN is changing its name to SPIKE TV?
Old 04-19-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
Can someone confirm that TNN is changing its name to SPIKE TV?
Well, the Associated Press says it is:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._tv/tv_spike_9

I assume that it's confirmed.