Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/8/2003

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Carmen Rasmusen
14.89%
Clay Aiken
19.15%
Joshua Gracin
8.51%
Kimberly Caldwell
4.26%
Kimberly Locke
2.13%
Rickey Smith
8.51%
Ruben Studdard
46.81%
Trenyce
8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/8/2003

Old 04-08-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grouncho,

OMG, Kelly's album is coming out on 4/15. I know I'll be the first on line.
Old 04-08-03, 09:08 PM
Banned

Seriously guys lol take this seriously and have an open mind, contact me on msn ( [email protected] ) or AIM gamel13 or something and I'll let you listen to some clips to show you how good her album is.

I won't talk about her afterwards ( except when she performs tomorrow on AI lol ). I will start my own Kelly Clarkson " Thankful " thread in the music section next week.
Old 04-08-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay and Ruben are the going to be the final two.

Carmen will be in the final 3. To many teens will be voting for her.
Old 04-08-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I enjoy Kelly's song on the radio, I will go and buy it
Old 04-08-03, 09:20 PM
Banned

hey zuffy, go on icq or aim now please if you can, i'll give you a short listen, believe me you won't be disapointed
Old 04-08-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

alright, AIM me... you see the icon.
Old 04-08-03, 09:28 PM
Banned

I put you in my buddy list but you seem offline...
Old 04-08-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

alright, try again.
Old 04-08-03, 09:35 PM
Banned

ok see you now,

sorry this got off-topic, mods can delete these messages if they want
Old 04-08-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought Kimberly Caldwell was terrible tonight, BAD BAD song choice. I like her attitude though.

I like Ruben, but not as much as those judges fell over him.
I liked Josh, tonight, his attitude came through well with that song.
Clay was Clay, which I like but it's getting a bit boring because it's NEVER different.

Carmen was cute, but the song wasn't anything special.
They didn't mention the votes carrying over (or I missed that part), but assuming they do she'll have a tough time pulling herself out.
I'm just hoping Trenyce "jailbird" gets the boot, with people remembering that story!?

Lionel was the best celebrity judge so far. He atleast would hint at negative stuff which was respectfull. And you can tell he followed atleast the past few weeks.

Finally, I love Randy and Simon disagreeing. Polar opposites on Clay each week!
Old 04-08-03, 10:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by zuffy
Grouncho,

OMG, Kelly's album is coming out on 4/15. I know I'll be the first on line.

Grouncho

Seriously though I heard her single on the radio today, and I can say without doubt it's the best song in the history of mankind. <-Understatement of the year.
Old 04-08-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clay: Boring, like somebody else said, it never changes.
Kimberley: I hate that song, don't like Celine Dion, but I would rather listen to Celine sing it after Kimberley's performance.
Rickey: Awesome. Guaranteed to stay.
Kimberly C: Ug, she's trying to make her voice go way too low. She loses intonation and body and the timbre gets nasty.
Joshua: He's a good country singer, but is the next American Idol really going to be singing country?
Carmen: Such a cutey, but it just wasn't there. briank is right, she's going to have a hard time with last week's votes counting against her.
Trenyce: I normally don't like her voice or her look, but I have to admit she sang well tonight.
Ruben: He is consistantly good, like Clay, the difference being that he seems to mix it up and keep it interesting.

Kimberly or Carmen (unfortunately) is gone tomorrow.
Old 04-08-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still don't think Carmen is cute but I guess she's good at fooling people which will help her. Her song was terrible.

Trenyce was bad.

Ruben sounded pretty good and looked better today.

Josh was bad as normal. I can't stand looking at him any longer.

Kimberley C was decent at times.

Clay I think did sound different tonight. Unfortunately it was for the worse. He was actually having tone problems which he hasn't had before.

Rickey sucked. I hope he's gone pretty soon.
Old 04-08-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reuben was definitely the best by far tonight. He is consistent and that is what counts. As for Reuben and his shirts. I was so glad he was wearing something different this week. Also I read in this week's Entertainment Weekly that Reuben's shirts were special made and are a size 8X-10X. I knew that crappy Old Navy segment they did last month was BS. I am a big guy and have been in Old Navy and they do not cater to the larger person.
Old 04-08-03, 11:52 PM

Clay was the same as always monotone (like I said last week) and boring. He wouldn't sell much more then to older people and 6 year olds. Can’t see any teens (the majority of people that buy CDs) buying his stuff.
Josh should be gone from last week’s trash. I hate country and didn’t like him tonight, but he sounded a much better then last week.
Carmen is gone. She needed a hella good performance tonight and didn’t give it. To bad she was growing on me.
Ricky and Ruben were the best tonight and will be safe for this week.
Kim L. was good and will be there next week too.
My fav Kim C. is lucky she got a lot of votes last week of she would be gone (still might be).
Trenyce should be okay this week.
Ruben is safe for the rest of the show.

My $.01

~LP
Old 04-08-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Reuben has the competition locked up.......but I thought the same thing of Tamyra last season and the fans screwed that one up big time.
Old 04-09-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh did the best this week...wow
Old 04-09-03, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Gallant Pig •<HR SIZE=1>Seriously though I heard her single on the radio today, and I can say without doubt it's the best song in the history of mankind. <-Understatement of the year. <HR SIZE=1>

She's even better than Mariah. Well, OK ... they're tied.

Anyway, dunno why people like Carmen. Tonight she was so bad even Simon couldn't make up some reason to justify dragging her along. Also not sure why people liked Locke's performance. It was OK but incredibly weak compared to the rendition everyone is familiar with. Clay was boring. He shot his wad too early and doesn't seem to have anything left for the competition. Freaky raccoon eyes was average to bad as usual, but she looked pretty good. Trenyce continues to impress me ... no, not because of her voice ... just because she's the first successful mating of a human and a horse. That she can stand erect is impressive neough.

das
Old 04-09-03, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My rankings:

Good/OK:

Clay - not going to be the AI, but will find work on Broadway. Going first is always a tough way to start.

Rickey - agreed with Lionel's comments, but I don't think I'd ever pay for any of his forthcoming albums.

Trenyce - while her high notes don't sound strained, there's some volume missing. She didn't make me miss Celine's version.

Ruben - still not my cup of tea, same ol', same ol' as well.

Fair:

Kimberly Locke - I thought she sort of stumbled through her song, and didn't make me forget Celine's version. Again, her timber just doesn't sit well with me.

Josh - while passionate, he exposed his limited volume range and was on the verge of losing control for the extended notes.

Bad:

Kimberly Caldwell - out of tune, a bit flat, sort of butchered the song. But she looked nice (as if that's a consolation in a singing contest).

Carmen - straight from the "what was she thinking?" category of song choice. I now find her vocals grating. But she looked cute (as if that's a consolation in a singing contest).
Old 04-09-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the people that say Clay sounds the same week after week (which I kind of agree with). How can you NOT say the same thing about Ruben? I think he's an even worse offender than Clay is. Its like he's singing the exact same song every week, the only exception being that Sweet Home Alabama song.
Old 04-09-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clay-Seems to be the modern Barry Manilow.

Carmen-I don't care if she can sing. I'm just glad she turned legal so I don't feel like such a pervert.

Trenyce-Is it just me or is there so much backlash against because of a criminal record that was supposed to be expunged? She is a better singer than half of those left.

Josh-Ehh, I don't see the appeal, and I think he gets the military, and military sympathetic, vote each week.

Kim C.-Major skank that thinks she deserves to win each week. Most likely to be in Playboy.

Kim L.-The pipes have gotten better but no amount of makeup is going to help that face.

Ricky-Hercules, hercules, hercules

Ruben-By far the best singer, could be the next Barry White.
Old 04-09-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Carmen will be in the final 3.
Not unless Hell freezes over...

or the AI producers tweak the votes.
Old 04-09-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I forgot to laugh at poor Jim Veraros. He was wearing a fingerless glove in the audience ... loser.

das
Old 04-09-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone else also see Tamyra Gray (I think when Trenyce was about to sing, or after she sang).
Old 04-09-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. Tamyra Grey stood up and applauded after Trenyce sang. My vote goes to Trenyce last night. This wasn't her best performance (that would be "I have Nothing") but it was better than the rest of the lot. Simon ripped into her. Oddly, he's always been critical of her.

I couldn't disagree more with Simon last night. He loved Clay. Compare Clay's version with Billy Vera's version and it's night and day. It was boring. Put some feeling into the song, Clay. Even Paula wanted more emotions in that performance. Last night and last week were run of the mill.

Kim L's version of the Titanic song was not all that hot. The judges minus Randy loved it. Really flat like Clay's performance. Simon loved it. Weird.

Rickey...I have a hard time with his voice. Endless love sounds much better as a duet first of all.

Carmen's "Call Me" was weak. That song is too closely related to Blondie. I'm also surprised she didn't go for a country hit.

Josh is laying the country twang stronger than ever. Faker.

Kim C...I'm glad she went for something different but her course voice just was not suited for the song. She looked great in that outfit though.

Reuben was OK. Again, an unspectacular performance. The outstretch arm gesture is old. However, this competition is his to lose.

Again Simon's judgment was impaired. He loved everything that was in his words "boring." Paula was going off the deep end with her comparisons of Kim's performance to Celine Dion's and one other singer. Randy, for a first, really had the best judgment. The audience needs to get their act right if they can't take criticism.

Overall, they had problems choosing the right song. I admit the country rock genre and disco genre made it difficult but those kids had 40 years of hits to choose from. And compared to AI1, performances on AI2 have not been improving. I'm not sure what's happening. They started off strong but the performances have gotten lifeless. Where's the "soul"? What a shame.

Anyway, who will be bottom 3? My guess is Ricky, Carmen, and Kim C. I want Josh there but his association with the military is going to keep him around longer.

I think Carmen will be the one booted off. Cumulative voting from last week and last night's performance will give people enough reason NOT to vote for her.

PS. I have to add that Kelly's album release is due in a few week. She's better than white bread, don't cha know.

Last edited by big whoppa; 04-09-03 at 09:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.