Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Highlander the TV series: How is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Alright Highlander fans I have a question that begs for an answer. I was looking up prices for season 2 and on dvdsoon's website they list 2 versions an R-rated version and a PG-13-rated version. Anyone know the difference?
Old 07-25-03, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the series was far superior to the movies, even the first which I thought was merely average. Of course, saying the TV show is better than Highlander 2 and 3 isn't saying much.

The formula of the bad immortal from the past of-the-week storyline got repetitive, but the TV show still delved deeper into the whole concept of immortals pretty well.
Old 07-25-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Alright Highlander fans I have a question that begs for an answer. I was looking up prices for season 2 and on dvdsoon's website they list 2 versions an R-rated version and a PG-13-rated version. Anyone know the difference?
As far as I know there's only one release. If you look at each you'll notice the UPC and catalog numbers are the same.
Old 07-26-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
You are right. It was right there in front of me the whole time. Thanks. I just remember talks of the first season having a nipple slip or something that wasn't broadcast in the US. It piqued my interest wondering if there more differences between here and overseas.
Old 07-26-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
You are right. It was right there in front of me the whole time. Thanks. I just remember talks of the first season having a nipple slip or something that wasn't broadcast in the US. It piqued my interest wondering if there more differences between here and overseas.
The US release contains the extended European versions of the episodes. Each episode is a few minutes longer. The only nudity I remember seeing was in the first episode of Season 1.
Old 04-07-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Great series. The first 8 or so are rough to watch, but once you get to Band of Brothers...oh yeah...

Seasons 4 and 5 are wonderful...they really should have ended it at 5, the 13 episode season six was a joke except for the final two episodes.
Interesting. I just finally finished season 5 and opened up my season 6 (only through ep 4) and I'm not sure I agree. While I do feel the whole "Evil" plot felt really out of place, I'm actually enjoying the eps I've seen so far this season. There's still flashbacks, and we're actually getting to see a lot more of regular storylines in Macs life. I mean the guy has to have some semi-normal days, no? Not every day is a flashback/run-in to somebody he has met, rigth?

Side note - I looked up the lady from ep 3 (Dara Tomanovich) and looks like she doesn't turn up anymore. Shame since she and Adrian had really good chemistry. Would have been good to see her and Amanda run into each other over Mac.
Old 04-07-07, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Very fun show. It starts off a bit rough early on, but it improves over time. Also, just so ya know, the sword fights improve DRAMATICALLY as the show goes on.
Old 04-08-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mmmm... nothing like the smell of a 4 year old thread on easter morning...

Anyhow, to add my thoughts to the matter... you could watch seasons 1-3 and have a satisfactory ending to the series, almost as if they thought 3 was the last season. Season 4 is good. Season 5 is hit or miss, many parts of it are pathetic rehashes, but the Methos storyline is good. You can tell Adrian Paul is tired of the series, as he starts sleepwalking through his role. The quickenings become insanely retarded.

Season 6 is a pathetic joke. By this point Adrian Paul isn't even trying to hide the fact that he wants out of the show. Of the 13 episodes, 11 are attempts to introduce new female immortals for the planned "Raven" spinoff. The other two don't even have an appearance by Duncan. One is a test to see if the fans would take to a new husband / wife team as private investigators, and the wife is immortal. The other takes 2 established Highlander characters and throws them together to see if the fans would like to see them continue in a new series (I would have loved it, but I liked both characters to begin with).
Old 04-08-07, 12:58 PM

Just finished watching all of Season 4 this last week.
Its as good as season 3, Maybe a hair better.
Many fans think the 4th is the best of series.

Starting with 1st ep Homeland and weaving
its way thru the some of Darker aspects of series.
Also there is some closure with a few past
story lines. The commentarys are also worth
a spin.
Old 04-08-07, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seasons Three is my favorite, and season 4 is good, but the last two seasons did nothing for me. Nothing in season six is as engrossing as the backstage documentary features on the HIGHLANDER: RAVEN set.
Old 04-08-07, 09:30 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

I always liked the series, a big part of the reason why is that it was mostly filmed in Paris, and I got to see something other than the standard USA locals.

The series started going down hill when they killed a major, motorcycle riding character however...
Old 04-08-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadow
I always liked the series, a big part of the reason why is that it was mostly filmed in Paris, and I got to see something other than the standard USA locals.

The series started going down hill when they killed a major, motorcycle riding character however...
I think the series would have been better off without Richie. He was a complete moron that should have been killed many times over.

Usual conversation:

Mac: Richie, I'm hundreds of years older than you, I know this person / situation. It's bad news, you should stay back.

Richie: Screw you, Mac, I'll do what I want.

Mac sighs and prepares to save Richie's ass yet again.
Old 04-08-07, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I think the series would have been better off without Richie.
Same thing was said about Tessa & Amanda.

In these days of cancel a series 1st and
lets find another later. Its amazing it was
on for 6 seasons. We really see so few
true syndicated series anymore.

Personally I believe all 6 seasons are
worth a spin. With them being on
sale for around $15 each (B1G1 Free)
at times. They are well worth it.

Over the years they have had some solid
guest actors.....And the writing at times
is spot on. Lets just not bring up the
latest movie debacle...
Old 04-08-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by btlives
Same thing was said about Tessa & Amanda.
I always found Amanda to be an interesting character and a great companion for Mac.

Tessa, on the other hand, just annoyed me with her constant whining.
Old 04-09-07, 12:39 AM

Tessa, on the other hand, just annoyed me with her constant whining.
Yeah...Its kind of hard to be the lead mortal lover
in an immortals world when a series starts.
You either love her of hate her.
Its too bad, as she is a solid actress.
We just do not see much of her in the states.

Also for the comment about earlier Quickenings.
Season 5 has THE BEST quickening episode IMO.
No spoilage. But its grand.

I also decided to put season 5 on my viewing
list this week. So thanks for digging up this thread.
Old 04-09-07, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by btlives
Season 5 has THE BEST quickening episode IMO.
True, that one quickening is great. But the others were just downright horrible (like when Mac kills a former military man and starts doing that retarded parade ground BS during the quickening).
Old 04-18-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 6 is a pathetic joke. By this point Adrian Paul isn't even trying to hide the fact that he wants out of the show. Of the 13 episodes, 11 are attempts to introduce new female immortals for the planned "Raven" spinoff. The other two don't even have an appearance by Duncan. One is a test to see if the fans would take to a new husband / wife team as private investigators, and the wife is immortal. The other takes 2 established Highlander characters and throws them together to see if the fans would like to see them continue in a new series (I would have loved it, but I liked both characters to begin with).
Somehow I missed a lot of these follow-up comments.

I'm finished with season 6 (except the finale) and I do agree that it has been very different. The first half was dealing with S5 fallout and random situations with people Mac knew. However, the rest of the season doesn't really have him in it at all. I did appreciate the entire flashback epsiode with him and Fitz since they always worked to well together. However, it was rather random.

I don't really recall all of the female episodes from when they originally aired, nor did I have any insight into how they were supposed to tie to the Raven series.

Is there more background available on that? Interviews? Sources saying Paul wanted out? Would be curious to read up on that.
Old 04-19-07, 04:05 PM

In my opinion season one gets a bit slow and struggles to find its feet. But starting season 2 and beyond it just keeps getting better and better. Some of the characters later on and some of the s5 and 6 eps are just phenominal.
Old 04-20-07, 11:11 AM

I was thinking of purchasing some of this series, not to intent on purchasing the whole series though, and was wondering should I pick up the first couple seasons (and possibly let the completist in me win and purchase the rest), or would the "best of" box be a better purchase? I used to watch the show when it aired, and remember enjoying it.
Old 04-28-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's the episode list/breaddown from the best of?
Old 04-30-07, 03:26 AM

I used to catch it on syndication at times when I was much younger and remembered enjoying it. This thread really renewed my interest in checking out the DVD's.

Over the past week I have started watching season one and am about half way through. It definitely got off to a shaky start. Some fairly good moments every episode mixed in with some fairly rough ones but the rough moments are starting to be less frequent as each episode passes. Richie has some completely cheaseball bits early on.
Old 04-30-07, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I friend lent me all of the seasons (on homemade VHS tapes) to watch around five years ago. I remember having a hard time getting into the show because season one was very rough, but after I got into it I really came to enjoy the show. It's not the best show ever, but what it did it did pretty well. One of the better syndicated shows from that era.
Old 05-03-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
It's not the best show ever
Libel! Propaganda!