Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I slept through the 90's as to Sci-fi TV - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I slept through the 90's as to Sci-fi TV - need help

I did not watch any sci-fi tv in the 90's. Of the series listed below, in which order should I acquire them and why:

Star Trek Next Generation
Star Trek Deep Space 9
Babylon 5
X-Files
Lexx
Farscape
Buffy/Angel
Stargate

Thanks
Old 03-18-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Babylon 5 is about the only one that is a "complete story" in 120 hours.

The rest are series episodes, which can all be enjoyed based on your tastes.
Old 03-19-03, 12:42 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is interesting since I didn't watch any of those shows when they first started airing either. I started watching Buffy in season 5 and it has become my favorite drama ever. The current Angel episodes are even better than the current Buffy, so those would be my first 2 choices. I started watching Farscape last year, but still am only in the 2nd season because the scifi channel doesn't air reruns. Babylon 5 is a show I really want to get into, but I'm too cheap to buy the dvds and I always missed the reruns on scifi. I really enjoyed watching some X-Files marathons on FX, but have yet to see anything too great. I'd like to watch some more X-Files, but I definitely don't like it enough to watch all 9 seasons.

The rest of the shows don't interest me, but that's what I said about Buffy, Angel, Farscape, Babylon 5, and X-Files in the past, so I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything else really good.
Old 03-19-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nny
I really enjoyed watching some X-Files marathons on FX, but have yet to see anything too great. I'd like to watch some more X-Files, but I definitely don't like it enough to watch all 9 seasons.
Fortunately you don't have too! The great episodes are largely concentrated in the first four years. IMHO season 3 is easily the best.
Old 03-19-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 352 Likes on 229 Posts
These would be (and actually are) my choices, in order of preference:

1. Babylon 5 (It's just incredible the way the story was planned out from the beginning to run 5 years. It's a fantastic story, and things from early seasons that you didn't think were important (and would have been dropped plots in lesser shows) turn out to matter years later.

2. Farscape (Fun, and has long story arcs like Babylon 5. If you're a woman, John Crichton is really hot too. )

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

4. Angel (buy season one when season 4 of Buffy comes out. Or, if you're in a hurry, buy the UK versions now.)

5. DS9 (Best Trek series, imo.)

I've tried watching Stargate SG-1 and Lexx, and thought they weren't very interesting. TNG is good, but I've never been captivated by it.
Old 03-19-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Buffy Buffy Buffy

One of the best shows on television, let alone genre television. Period. And the DVD sets are cheap, too. Three seasons are out, with the fourth one coming in June.

The premise Buffy is really sort of ridiculous: a cheerleader who is chosen by fate to be "the slayer," the one girl chosen to defend humanity from vampires and the other forces of darkness.

But the show is saved from being pure camp by some incredibly sharp writing, superlative characterization, a strong performance by the ensmeble cast, and a rich, complex mythology.

Throughout the first season and the first half of the second season, the show slips nicely into a comfortable little routine that most shows would've stayed at for several years, but just when everything is progressing nicely - bam - something happens and just completely tears everything down. The rules suddenly turned on a dime, the stakes got higher, and they started playing for keeps.

Combines horror, sci-fi, action, comedy, and melodrama into a pleasing experience.

And while you're watching Buffy, you might as well give Angel a go. But wait and get Angel until Buffy Season 4 comes out. And then watch Buffy 4.1, then Angel 1.1, Buffy 4.2 then Angel 1.2, and so on. They cross-over occasionally.

Babylon 5

The others are right, it does tell one complete story in five seasons. The first season can be a little tough to get into, but it's worth it.

This is "Trek"-like science fiction told on a large, epic canvas. People will live and die, some will be changed forever. Empires will rise and fall. Expect the unexpected, and believe the unthinkable. And beware of the shadows, for they move.

X-Files

The season sets for this one are somewhat expensive, and be warned that the returns will diminish as the years go by. General consensus is that the first six seasons are the best, and the last three seasons are pretty awful.

UFO/conspiracy drama that rode the 90s zeitgeist, with excellent production values, and superb performances by the two leads. Some of the best direction and cinematography of television.

Unfortunatley, instead of letting the series come to a natural, satisfying end, it was allowed to drag on and on with no resolution.

But the early seasons were damned good television.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Arguably the best modern Trek series. Borrows the large canvas arc structure of Babylon 5 in later seasons. Very much character-centered Trek shot through with politics, war, religion, and espionage.

Star Trek The Next Generation

Had a lot of good episodes, but more often than not, it was generally forgettable. The show wasn't bad, but I'm not paying $100 per season for it. If I could pick it up for under forty bucks a season like Buffy, I'd pick it up, but at the current prices, it's a pass.

Lexx, Farscape, Stargate

Haven't seen any of these, but Farscape has a lot of vocal, dedicated fans.
Old 03-19-03, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of that list im a big fan of

Babylon 5
DS9
Farscape
Stargate

I also just got into buffy on dvd and have enjoyed it

capt
Old 03-19-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree to start with Babylon 5. The first season is pretty hit and miss, but it really takes off after that point.

Just pay attention to the middle of the first season and the last couple (especially the season finale). All of them start important things to come.
Old 03-19-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seen them all, and I'll rank them as follows:

Babylon 5
Buffy
Farscape
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
The X-Files (6 seasons)
Angel
The Invisible Man
Stargate SG-1
Lexx

Don't be fooled into thinking because I ranked DS9 5th that I don't think it was very good. In fact, I'd say the first 6 are absolutely essential television viewing, and if you haven't watched a majority of them, you really don't have a clue what you've missed in terms of quality television over the last decade.

The first seasons of The X-Files are great, but I dropped them since there's really no ultimate payoff, and it's best to quit watching and wonder than see what they did in those final seasons. Angel is also a great show, but it's still coming into its own and needs another year before I'll really try to compare it with the genre greats. SG-1 is fun and stuff, but it's nowhere close to these others, and Lexx is just silly cheese. It's fun at times, but it's not a serious show.

You left off The Invisible Man, so I added it for you. It was a great show that the Hammer Network never really understood. It took the fun 80's buddy cop genre and merged it with intelligent science fiction. The result was incredibly entertaining.

As for my top shows, they're not just the best of the sci-fi bunch but some of the best television period. These are excellent shows that everyone should watch.

das
Old 03-19-03, 09:40 AM

Babylon 5
Buffy
Farscape
Angel

I personally wouldnt bother with the rest, but that's just me.
Old 03-19-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My order:

Farscape
Babylon 5
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
The X-Files (Seasons 1-5, plus theatrical film. Then stop. )
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Angel

On any given day, I might switch the order of B5 and Farscape. I'm actually tempted to do it right now, out of fear that I've listed Farscape as #1 simply because it is "fresher" (since we're still getting first-run episodes -- at least one more ). Ask me again in a year. But right now, I'd have to honestly say that Farscape is my favorite TV program. Of all time. Damn Sci-Fi Channel.

Of the others on my list, I'd say that you'd probably enjoy watching all of them. I'm still a bit of a Buffy/Angel newbie, so those rankings may change as I see more stuff. But I've found both shows to be surprisingly great.

And, I agree with das (big surprise!). Don't dismiss DS9 because it is lower on my list. It's low simply because it is being compared to some of the greatest TV shows of all time. It is still a wonderful show in its own right. I'm about halfway through the Season 1 DVD set right now and I'm loving every minute of it...

Personally, I find Stargate SG-1 to be *eh*. It's watchable, but not "Must-See TV". And I think Lexx is actually a pretty bad show. I think you're safe bailing on both of these.
Old 03-19-03, 02:28 PM

I've found these kinds of posts interesting and here are the shows that keep coming up:

Buffy/Angel
ST: DS9
Farscape
Babylon 5

in no particular order. Of these shows, in fact of all shows I have ever watched, no show has left more of an impact on me than Buffy. I thinks it's the best written 'series' on TV. I say series because you really have to watch a good chunk of the show to appreciate it.

Disclaimer: I have not seen B5 yet, gotta finish Farscape first!

Last edited by Strafe; 03-19-03 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buffy - Great stuff. Think old Universal horror monsters brought up to date and meets 90210. Lots of great humor, sexy, witty dialoge and great acting. Doesn't take itself too seriously. also... another great thing about Buffy, it seems like one long movie, rather than a TV series, something happens in every episode that effects the next episode. You have to watch them in order from the beginning to "get it", it's not the type of show where it doesn't really matter what order you watch it in.

Angel - I haven't seen it yet, but it's a spin off from Buffy that takes place after Buffy Season 3, so watch Buffy first.

Farscape - Very creative stuff, not just another Star Trek, like Buffy, it doesn't take itself too seriously and has great characters and humor. Buck Rogers meets Blakes 7 with wild and crazy sexy aliens. Another show you have to watch in order.

Stargate - Much better than the movie. I love the idea that the military has this strange gate that can take them to any planet. Great sci fi, great humor. Circuit City has the individual DVDs from Season 1 and 2 at $9.99 each which is actually cheaper than the Box Sets (5 disks for $59.99)

Babylon 5 - never seen it

Star Trek - I used to love the original Trek from the 60's because it was a great sci fi show. Aliens, Monsters, Spaceships, Phasers, wizz bang! The new Star Trek series seems to be more of a soap opera (mixed with some politcal drama) that just happens to take place in outer space rather than an actual sci fi show. It just doesn't do anything for me.

X-Files - Good for the first Season or 2, but I think it got old fast.

Lexx - never seen it

what about... Highlander - again, better than the movie. Great stuff.

and this isn't from the 90's, but if you want some really good sci fi on DVD, check out the Doctor Who movies that are out now on DVD. The best TV DVDs on the market, commentaries, interviews, deleted scenes, loaded with extras. Awesome classic science fiction!
Old 03-19-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Is Red Dwarf also worth buying?
Old 03-20-03, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Farscape and Babylon 5 are, by far, the best SF shows to come out of the 90's ... someone said that Farscape doesn't take itself too seriously; at times, this is true, but that doesn't mean it doesn't provide some really spectactular drama during the main story arcs. I have a hard time deciding which show I like better. The season 3 cliffhanger finale for B5 is probably my favorite moment of dramatic television ever. However, B5 also has a pretty bad final season, thanks to the networks jerking it around. Farscape's four seasons are all very excellent, although the show has been cancelled before the story has been fully told. After seeing the final episode, I will be majorly upset if the story isn't concluded in some medium eventually.

Other fine shows out of the 90's-today:

Firefly
Red Dwarf
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Deep Space 9

Red Dwarf is an uproariously funny show that I highly recommend. The new DVD sets of series one and two are great buys so don't hesitate to go out and try this show.

Michael
Old 03-20-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lexx: You can skip it. It's pretty bad. The final ep was ok but you have to sit through so much crap and repetition to get to it that ultimatly, it's not worth the time.

Stargate: Pretty good. It's nice to see a show that takes a premise to it's logical conclusion. Instead of just having a couple of guys going through the stargate every week, there are actually consequences and repercussion of what they do.

Babylon5: Get it now.

Buffy: I never got into Buffy. For some reason it annoys me. The supporting cast is a lot more interesting than the main character.

XFiles: Good show. But just like Babylon 5, you have to be willing to invest a lot of time to it. But you'll enjoy it.

Farscape: Great show. It follow the sci-fi rules at the same time it's tossing them out the window. Cant go wrong buying it.

Star Trek TNG: It's a crap shoot. Some good, some bad.

D
Old 03-20-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Babylon 5
Star Trek Deep space 9
Star trek TNG
stargate
Farscape

Others I never really got into.
Old 03-20-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Babylon 5
Star Trek Deep space 9
Star trek TNG
stargate
Farscape

Others I never really got into.
Old 03-20-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by das Monkey

You left off The Invisible Man, so I added it for you. It was a great show that the Hammer Network never really understood. It took the fun 80's buddy cop genre and merged it with intelligent science fiction. The result was incredibly entertaining.

As for my top shows, they're not just the best of the sci-fi bunch but some of the best television period. These are excellent shows that everyone should watch.

das
Interesting. Invisible Man was one that I watched every now and then, but never really got into. The kind of thing I'd leave on in the background while playing Asheron's Call on PC. I'm thinking there was a general arc around the whole gland thing, but I never paid that much attention.

Similarly, what's your opinion on "First Wave"? That was another one that seemed to be part of a big arc -- more interesting possibly than SG-1, but I simply never tuned in on a regular basis compared to Farscape. I believe Hammer gave it a premature burial as well, but I might just be mixing it up with something else.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-20-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First Wave had an interesting concept, and some good early episodes, but I rank it just above Lexx ... maybe around The Chronicle. It was fun at times, and they danced around some decent issues, but ultimately it went nowhere, and it became complete crap when they brought in Traci Lords. I don't think of it as a bad show, but it really wasn't anything to write home about.

The Invisible Man was a complete surprise to me. It looked so stupid from the previews, but I ended up watching it between B5 repeats and new Farscape eps on Friday night and was surprisingly entertained. The first few episodes were pretty basic, but as the first season came to a close and they started developing the Chrysalis arc, things began to take shape. By the second season, they had everything figured out and were producing great episodes one after another.

The chemistry between Hobbes and Fawkes was reminiscent of the greatest buddy-cop teams. Fawkes was a character that reminds me of Crichton. He's intelligent and talented, but he's been thrown into a decidedly odd situation, and he copes with it through irreverent pop culture humor.

I was most surprised how they were able to work in some great stand-alone science fiction concepts into the show. It wasn't just about some guy who could turn invisible. They tackled some serious issues, but it was wonderfully underscored by not taking itself too seriously. It wasn't camp, but they had fun with it, and there was an underlying loyalty and heart to the characters.

It was some of the most fun I had watching TV last year. It's not the kind of show that will blow your mind like Babylon 5 or Farscape, but it's worthy of a lot more respect that it has received and went way before its time.

das
Old 03-20-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From your list, my order of preference would be (well, is, since these are the ones I'm buying )

Stargate SG-1
X-Files
Buffy

ST: TNG

One show that you don't have listed that I'd recommend is Highlander: The Series (although, not really Sci-Fi I guess, more in the fantasy genre)
Old 03-22-03, 05:56 PM

STARGATE SG-1 ROCKS!

I watched both the feature film and season one over the past 2 weekends and think it was the best bild buy I ever did! The TV series picks up from the film and I enjoy it very much. Starting Season 2 this weekend, too bad Season 3 is a few months away. Unlike Star Trek TNG & DS9 they aren't realeasing the series as quickly.
Old 03-22-03, 08:52 PM

I love all the shows you guys are talking about, except for Lexx. How can Sci-Fi dump Invisible Man and Farscape, but keep the piece of crap that is Lexx on the air? Someone down there needs to quit and move over to ABC where they can air as many bad shows as they want, since no one watches anyway.
Old 03-22-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
if you get the sci-fi network stargate is on mon-thursday at 1am if you want to see if it is worth buying
Old 08-10-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well,

I have picked up all of the Farscape, Buffy, Angel and Babylon 5 releases as well as Star Trak TNG Season 1. I have made it somewhat into Farscape and Buffy and really enjoy these shows. I may give them a rest soon to try Babylon 5. I plan to alternate viewings after I complete a season of each show.

Deep Space 9, I have not acquired, but may pick that one up too. I tried Stargate Season 1 and did not think it was very good and definitley not in the same league as Farscape and Buffy. Thanks for your recommendations.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.