Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Gandolfini & HBO Seem to Reach Agreement

HBO set to pay Tony his tribute

March 18, 2003
BY PHIL ROSENTHAL TELEVISION CRITIC, CHICAGO SUN TIMES

A threat to the survival of America's most-wanted mob boss appears to have been averted.

"The Sopranos" star James Gandolfini and HBO were considering a proposal Monday to drop their dueling lawsuits, easing an angry, ego-fueled standoff that imperiled their much-lauded organized-crime series.

Under the scenario mapped out in weekend back-channel discussions using veteran talent manager Brad Grey, an executive producer on the series, as intermediary, Gandolfini would return to work as a precondition to HBO quietly negotiating a raise for the coming fifth season.

The network, which already had offered to double the $5 million it was contracted to pay Gandolfini, refused to set the precedent of bowing to a legal wedge in its pay talks and said the impasse could end the series. The star reportedly had held out for $20 million, or $1.2 million per episode, but now is said to be seeking $16 million.
Old 03-18-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gandolfini is a farking crybaby. Period.
Old 03-18-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crybaby? Because he asked for more money? I beg to disagree.

HBO has made a TON of money off the Sopranos, somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 million, I've heard. I think they can afford to throw some of that money Gandolfini's way. After all, he is the star of the show. Without him, there is no show and no more money cow for HBO.
Old 03-18-03, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Boot
Crybaby? Because he asked for more money? I beg to disagree.
No, because he refused to work under the CURRENT CONTRACT he signed. If I tried that at work, I'd be fired.
Old 03-18-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
James Gandolfini = $5 million/season
Kelsey Grammar = $41.6 millon/season (1.6 million x 26 eps)

Both have equal screentime per season (James 13 hours, Kelsey 26 half-hours)

Something's wrong here....
Old 03-18-03, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho
Something's wrong here....
Perhaps, but that's when you renegociate your contact, not when you play piddly games with the network and refuse to work. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve the $$, but he went about it the wrong (unprofessional) way.
Old 03-18-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Morf
Perhaps, but that's when you renegociate your contact, not when you play piddly games with the network and refuse to work. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve the $$, but he went about it the wrong (unprofessional) way.
It looks like he's successfully renegotiated his contract.
Old 03-18-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like there was ever any doubt that they wouldn't eventually see "eye-to-eye."

Oh - the suspense.

Old 03-18-03, 10:30 AM

Kelsey Grammer has been on TV for about 20 years
and also
[publicity stunt to promote Sopranos final season] lawsuit [/end stunt]
Old 03-18-03, 10:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
If I tried that at work, I'd be fired.
No offense, but that just shows how important you are to the success of your company.

If you were really as important to the success of your company as Gandolfini is to the success of the show, you could do this and you would not be fired.
Old 03-18-03, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=3

Chris
Old 03-18-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Looks like I won't be dropping HBO anytime soon then.
Old 03-18-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact of the matter is that his contract was originally for FOUR seasons - but HBO recognized the cash cow and forked over $20 million to David Chase to stretch it into five seasons. For all intents and purposes, Gandolfini had fulfilled his contract - this was an extra season, and he rightly pursued the money he has more than earned as the heart and soul of the program. I don't fault him a bit.
Old 03-18-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by brizz
The fact of the matter is that his contract was originally for FOUR seasons - but HBO recognized the cash cow and forked over $20 million to David Chase to stretch it into five seasons. For all intents and purposes, Gandolfini had fulfilled his contract - this was an extra season, and he rightly pursued the money he has more than earned as the heart and soul of the program. I don't fault him a bit.

That is half right. What happend was since HBO realized they had a cash cow they "ripped" up his contract. Then when the 5 Season was in place, they said they pulled a fast one on him to say that he was contract was not fulfilled.

But basically that Gandolfini was in the right and basically asking for what he deserves.

I mean it is not like he is asking for back salary. I understand he might have negotiated royalties, but that is a side issue.

"thumbsup" to GANDOLFINI
Old 03-18-03, 12:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad an agreement was finally reached.

Whew, that was a close call.
Old 03-18-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like it was ever going to get to the point of calling off Season 5.
Old 03-18-03, 05:08 PM

grammer v gandolfini isn't much of battle. grammer gets more because his audience is that much larger. he makes more money for his people so he gets more money.
Old 03-19-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by thejammy
What happend was since HBO realized they had a cash cow they "ripped" up his contract. Then when the 5 Season was in place, they said they pulled a fast one on him to say that he was contract was not fulfilled.

But basically that Gandolfini was in the right and basically asking for what he deserves.
Just to clear up a couple of things...

Gandolfini orignally signed a 4 year deal, as did the entire cast, but after season 2, the entire cast's deals were renegotiated and everyone signed on for 3 more years. Gandolfini signed through season 5.

Here's what happened. See, JG has the same agent as an actor on our show, who last year pulled the exact same stunt. He wanted more money so he started bitching about the production and his lawyers filed this completely meretless lawsuit - the Gandolfini lawsuit looks like a carbon copy of our actor's, even the wording is identical - and went public about it putting the spin on that HBO is greedy and using him, blah, blah, blah.

This agent is notorious for this. He had a client try it on Law & Order a couple of years ago, but God bless Dick Wolfe - he just fired the actor.

We would have fired Jones, but the network stepped in and gave him a $35,000 per episode raise. David Chase was willing to forget the show rather than give in to Gandolfini's agent's ridiculous demands, but the network (as always) gives in.

Trust me, Gandolfini never expected 20 million. But his agents were definitely shooting for doubling his salary.

IMHO, it's a lousy way to do business. If you aren't sure you will honor a contract, don't sign it.

Last edited by BoatDrinks; 03-19-03 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 05:40 PM
Banned

Another spoiled movie star. I dont think Gandolfini was doing much before Sapranos and he probably knows he wont be doing much after so hes milking it.
Remember Farrah and Sommers and Caruso and.....
Old 03-21-03, 12:30 AM

I can see it from Gandolfini's point of view. Kelsey Grammer and the cast of Friends make alot of money for NBC but there is no doubt that the SOPRANOS is a huge money maker for HBO and the show would be nothing without Gandolfini.
Old 03-21-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Without getting into if he was right/wrong...

One thing to point out when comparing JG (and his future) to the Friends cast, Grammar, Caruso, Farrah, Alf, Master Thespian, et al is that within the industry he is respected tremendously as an ACTOR (hopefully BoatDrinks can back me up on this). I first noticed this several years ago when Jenna Elfman was on some awards show, and out of the blue she gave huge (albeit sappy) kudos to JG, who was pretty much a nobody at the time. Really caught me off guard, and got me wondering. Since that time, I noticed MANY more accolades, and I've been told likewise by friends in the business end of the industry.....
Old 03-21-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Marvdog
the show would be nothing without Gandolfini.
Chicken and egg...