Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - 3/4/03 - The Wildcards

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I didn't really like Ruben much either.

Kimberly made it to the top 12 and I couldn't be happier, while it's cool they're voting on voice talent (which she does have..) she is just really damn easy on the eyes.

alright I think shes hot.
Old 03-05-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Kimberly's response to getting picked tonight. She certainly is a shy and humble little thing. And boy did her performance suck.

Is this the longest hour of television you've ever watched?
Old 03-05-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They better pick Clay.
Old 03-05-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF? Do their performances sucks, especially Carmen.
Old 03-05-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's up with the performances tonight? That Carmen (Carma!?) chic sounded TERRIBLE!!!
Old 03-05-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn Fox with the tease jerking... it's about time. YOU GO CLAY!
Old 03-05-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know who Clay remind me of.... the male version of K.D. Lang. He simply blew the other 3's performances tonite.
Old 03-05-03, 08:00 PM
Banned

My local Fox affiliate broadcast the University of Cincinnati basketball game instead of Idol.
Who won????
Old 03-05-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
[B]My local Fox affiliate broadcast the University of Cincinnati basketball game instead of Idol. ]
Consider yourself lucky.
Old 03-05-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

damn Carmen perfomance tonight was TERRIBLE.
I'm sure Simon was cringing after that one!
Old 03-05-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a waste of an hour.

Simon rules for slamming the producers. I'm sure they probably are jerks, and I don't think there's a chance in hell they could make the show without him. But picking Carmen? Big wtf there. She sucked last night ... she sucked tonight ... she'll suck next week. I guess his logic is that no matter who he picked, they'd probably have no chance of winning, so might as well go off the wall and take a chance. Of the remaining contestants, Chip was the most deserving and actually has personality and camera appeal, but it was clear they were only interested in female. I'm sure Simon loathes the thought of trying to promote a male winner.

As always, the delay tactics were stupid.

das
Old 03-05-03, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
What a waste of an hour.

[snippage]
As always, the delay tactics were stupid.

das
Yeah they were stupid, but I found them mildly amusing. Are you hoping that some day the delay tactics will be clever and you'll actually be fooled?

Just be glad they didn't make this an hour and a half show, you can bet that Fox would have gone for that in a heartbeat.

There were a couple of times it looked like Clay was going to
Old 03-05-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Err... so who'd they pick... I haven't been watching at all, but with all the hometown press around here for Clay, and hearing everyone at the start of this thread say how great he was, tell me he made it!
Old 03-05-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Clay looked like he was going to pass out.

I don't mind them trying to be tongue-in-cheek about the delays, but they get overly "cute" with it and beat it to death. I dunno ... it's just stupid. Of course the real problem isn't the way they delay; it's that they stretch 3 minutes worth of content into a 60 minute nightmare.

das
Old 03-05-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth JonTurner •<HR SIZE=1>Err... so who'd they pick... I haven't been watching at all, but with all the hometown press around here for Clay, and hearing everyone at the start of this thread say how great he was, tell me he made it! <HR SIZE=1>

Clay made it. It was never in doubt. They also took Kimberly Caldwell, Trenyce, and Carmen Rasmussen.

das
Old 03-05-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess everyone knew Clay is gonna be in. With Simon picking last, I think he just went with Carmen because of her look and everyone else suck. There is no other explanation.
Old 03-05-03, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by zuffy
You know who Clay remind me of.... the male version of K.D. Lang. He simply blew the other 3's performances tonite.
Good call! I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of.
Old 03-05-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by maiana
Good call! I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of.
Really? He looks to me like he could be the love child of Ed Grimley and the guy from NBC's "Ed".
Old 03-05-03, 11:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Carmen is a local girl who won a contest with the affiliate here to go audition in L.A. She's been hyped to death, but hasn't been seen much on the show until this week. I'm guessing that it's her earlier performances that impressed Simon, because she has been terrible from what I've seen.
Old 03-06-03, 12:37 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I actually didn't mind Carmen. I thought she was the best of the rest but that's not saying much. I was thinking he was going to take Nasheka since all the judges said they liked her.
Old 03-06-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Aw crap! I forgot this was on tonight, and watched Blade 2 instead (which I liked, so it's all good. Just a bit miffed I missed AI...)

Brian
Old 03-06-03, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Adrian •<HR SIZE=1>I gave her a grade A for vocal performance the other night. <HR SIZE=1>

I thought you said it was not bad but nothing spectacular. Either way, that's nice. I, on the other hand, thought it sucked. But then, I like notes, not incessant vibrato. I never liked Christina Christian either (hot though she was). Listening to it again won't really change that opinion, and I'm not so shallow as to judge her from her Results Show performance - most of those are pretty bad for everyone. I also hated her outfit and didn't particularly like the song. From her speaking voice and hearing her sing a second time, it sounds like she could be interesting if she could hold a note; I'm not holding my breath though.

das
Old 03-06-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dude, how many times are you going to edit that post? I count three variations, and that's just the ones I've seen.

das
Old 03-06-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Adrian •<HR SIZE=1>Did you notice how I carefully (and stated) praised her performance in my original post in this thread? I am afraid of the slams I'll get from some of the wannbe Simons around here. j/k <HR SIZE=1>

No offense, but it reads as retroactive praise. The only thing you've said about her in this thread (until now) is that she's cute. If you want the credit, you need to go out on the limb before the selections are made.

das
Old 03-06-03, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Adrian •<HR SIZE=1>Dude, how many times are you going to hit the refresh icon just to (re)read my post (over and over again)? <HR SIZE=1>

You post.
I respond.
Page refreshes after response submission, and your post has changed.
I respond
Page refreshes after response submission, and your post has not only changed but been deleted and reposted after mine
I respond ...

Btw, I'm an F5 man ... no refresh button here.

And to respond to your other comments, while you may not like Ruben as much as others (I too like Clay probably the most in this competition), it's really unfair to say he won because he was overhyped and overrated. Clay had plenty of screen time; we all knew who he was and thought he did great. People just liked Ruben as well. He has a style and personality that I think would have gotten him all those votes independent of anything the judges said. If we could do voting analysis, I'd wager there were two large groups of people: those who voted for Clay and Ruben and those who voted for Kimberly and Ruben. Clay just got squeezed out of what was a tough group and likely a close vote. I also don't think he was as good in Group 2 as he was in the Wildcard performance. People like Ruben for his singing style and his "look." You may not like him as much, but he's not getting by on hype.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.