DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   American Idol - 3/4/03 - The Wildcards (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/275914-american-idol-3-4-03-wildcards.html)

Patman 03-04-03 03:36 PM

American Idol - 3/4/03 - The Wildcards

Just a reminder that the most talent-laden sing-off is tonight: The Wildcard Round!

Anyone think there will be a mystery 10th person on tonight's show?

Amadeus 03-04-03 03:37 PM

Re: American Idol - 3/4/03 - The Wildcards

Originally posted by Patman

Anyone think there will be a mystery 10th person on tonight's show?

No.

das Monkey 03-04-03 03:40 PM

[Garth] I just hope it doesn't suck [Garth]

The last two weeks have been ass.

das

Jadzia 03-04-03 03:42 PM

Go Clay!!!!!!!

HotThang 03-04-03 03:44 PM

Well at least this year, WE get to pick from them instead of the judges making the pick. Last year they picked RJ and complained about him the whole time! I also know they are letting 4 through instead of 1. What is the big twist???

Sam

MrX 03-04-03 03:45 PM

It should be pretty good with Clay and Kimberly back. A couple that they're bringing back from the group that made it to
hollywood but didn't make it to the final 32 look good to.

I still can't believe they took 2 wildcards from last weeks show. The guy they took was ok but the girl was bad. I wouldn't be shocked if
Spoiler:
Frenchie
ends up being the surprise.

movieking 03-04-03 05:17 PM

Spoiler:
I expect that Frenchie will be there tonight.

Amadeus 03-04-03 05:19 PM

Originally posted by movieking
Spoiler:
I expect that Frenchie will be there tonight.

I see.

movieking 03-04-03 05:23 PM

Spoiler:
I also wouldn't be surprised if someone from last years competition was there. Is there a rule that would forebid them from entering again? Those without record contracts, anyway?

HotThang 03-04-03 07:13 PM

Originally posted by HotThang
Well at least this year, WE get to pick from them instead of the judges making the pick. Last year they picked RJ and complained about him the whole time! I also know they are letting 4 through instead of 1. What is the big twist???

Sam

Woohoo! Guess I should have used spoiler tags. I was right about the 4 but not about how they would be picked. :)

AJW 03-04-03 07:14 PM

Did last season's wild card contestants get full instrumentals and background singers as well? My memory is failing me.

briank 03-04-03 07:17 PM

so the big "twist" was something that was on their site for a week now!
what a dissappointment.

Timber 03-04-03 07:25 PM

I don't see how this is fair to all of the other singers that only got the piano.

RichC2 03-04-03 07:51 PM

Clay, Trenyce, and Kim (despite judge comments, I thought she sounded good, her voice in general sounds good) sounded good to me.

Others were 'eh.

MrX 03-04-03 07:52 PM

I just don't get what the judges like about Nasheka.

The only ones I think have a great shot are
Clay
Trenyce

I missed Kimberly's so I can't comment on her.

What the hell was Olivia thinking when she picked that Celine Dion song? Her voice is no where near strong enough for that.

shaggybrown 03-04-03 08:55 PM

Did they explain the backup music? It was a nice change but unfair to the other contestants.

What was the big surpise? Justin's new Gangster look?

movieking 03-04-03 08:57 PM

The surprise has been well known for about a week now. Not a surprise at all, in typical Fox fashion.

Patman 03-04-03 09:57 PM

Okay, my ranking of the performances for the Wildcard round:

1. Clay - he simply nailed it.
2. Trenyce - a little scary on the phrasing, but her presentation was entertaining and engaging.
3. Kimberly - her voice fills up the room, not quite the best song choice.
4. Aliceyn - pretty smooth, not a whole lot of range, wanted a different song sung as well.
5. Chip - good karoake style vocals, but dug the emoting.
6. Carmen - vibrato was too shaky, but not bad, inexperienced.
7. Nasheka - her voice just doesn't do it for me at all, her phrasing is not smooth, but sounds immature to me.
8. Janine - passionless, but easy on the eyes (like a cross between Jennifer Love Hewitt and Allyssa Milano).
9. Olivia - little girl voice was not up to snuff. I thought they turned down her microphone's volume when she started singing and then I realized she didn't have voice for the song.

I think my top 4 will move on to the round of 12. I wasn't crazy about the judges getting to pick 3 of the last 4 to move on to the finals.

Patman 03-04-03 09:59 PM

Oh, about the background music and backup vocals - they sort of turned the Wildcard round into "Karoake Idol" tonight.

devilshalo 03-04-03 10:59 PM

I've never watched the show before this... and so far I've agreed with a lot of what Simon had to say. A lot of the singers seem to come up and whether thru nerves or what-have-you just seem to go thru the motions. Like they just concentrate so much on not screwing up the song, they sing it carefully. These people don't take notes or anything before they step up? Energy is so important to a performance. Kimberly, Trenyce and Clay really captured it that energy. I thought Janine really hit it with her looks, but she didn't take advantage of an energetic Pat Benatar song.

Skorp 03-04-03 11:13 PM

Clay was definitely the cream of the crop, IMO. Not only does he sing good, but he also has a poise and confidence most of the other contestants lack. A shoo-in for the final 12.

Probably Trenyce and Kimberly will make it, too -- but who will be the fourth? I'm guessing it's between Chip and Aliceyn, but if AI wants an equal number of men & women, then Chip will be out.

I think AI was expecting more from these Wild Card performances, hence the change from 10 finalists to 12. Based on what we saw tonight, though, there really wasn't much reason to expand the field.

ChefWinduAZ 03-04-03 11:20 PM

After watching tonight I finally figured out what has been bothering me about Clay. He sounds like one of those singers on one of those Christian stations. To be even more specific, he reminds me of the Jim Baker like character Jim Carrey used to do on "In Living Color". I believe the character's name was the Rev. Pathos.

zuffy 03-04-03 11:59 PM

I didn't get a chance to watch tonite's show but good to hear Clay did very well. YOU GO Clay! He's gonna win it all.

das Monkey 03-05-03 05:00 AM

Good ol' Fox ... redefining the phrase "shocking twist" to mean "pretty much what everyone expected" ... <I>24</I>, <I>Joe Millionaire</I>, <I>Karaoke Idol</I>, etc. *yawn*

I like how they ditched the piano and cranked up the background music to distract the audience away from how much everyone was chock full of suck tonight.

Clay was perfect. Trenyce scares me and over-emotes, but I'd probably take her second. Kim wasn't as bad as the judges made her out to be, and compared to the asstacular performances of the rest, she did pretty good. I guess for the 4th, I'd take either Chip or Aliceyn. Probably Chip. Aliceyn had the better voice, but she's not ready for this competition. She's a shy girl who sings one song well. Chip really went for it tonight, and he seems to have a solid personality.

Did I hear them correctly when they said Nasheka performed "brilliantly?" She must have slept with someone, because she wasn't good last week and made it through and wasn't good this week either. With the judges getting to pick, I fear they'll push her through again.

What a waste of 4 slots. I guess that means an extra week or two of listening to crappy performances from people who have no business being in the finals.

das

shaggybrown 03-05-03 06:24 AM

So do they go with the audience pick first then the judges select the other three based onwho's left? Or do they pick their three first, then the remaining contestant wiith the highest number of votes becomes the audiences pick?

My wife was calling for Clay last night and we had a hard time getting through. A lot of busy signals and one time the circuits were busy.