TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I'm getting the Dish

Old 03-04-03, 02:23 PM

I'm getting the Dish

Ok, guys, you all probably know I watch almost as much TV as das Monkey.

Well, today I decided to order DirecTV and get rid of my digital cable.

I had been thinking of doing it for awhile, but you know what what really pushed me over the edge?

Ebert & Roper did a review of an upcoming cable movie I am dying ot see-- "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls"-- which is only being shown on the TRIO channel. Which of course, is nowhere to be found on my digital cable system. I also want to get the Oxygen network, which is MIA on my cable.

So I took advantage of DirecTV's free 2-room receiver deal, and I was amaze dthat sign-up took me 2 minutes on their web-site AND that they can install as sson as Thursday morning. (The cable company would make me wait for weeks.)

I think with the premium channels I want it will be about the same, but I am loking forward to the more diverse channel selection.

Also, I understand that I can now hook up my ReplayTv directly to the receiver (with no IR blaster needed) so I won't have to worry about missing a wrong channel.

So, other than that, do you guys think I'll be happy with my move?

I know you all watch a lot if TV so I'd love to hear your opinions.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-04-03 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't refer to me as "the Dish," please. Thanks.

- DirecTV
Old 03-04-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I wish I could get Direct-TV.
Old 03-04-03, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Don't refer to me as "the Dish," please. Thanks.

- DirecTV
LOL. Ok, I'm a cable TV person who has never delved in the world of satellite.

I was making fun of those "Ditch the Dish" ads that Comcast Digital Cable does.

So das, what do you think? Will I enjoy it?

Do you have this TRIO channel?

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-04-03 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TRIO rules ... they have the worst station bug in the history of television, but their content is pretty damn cool sometimes. Check out The Score and TV Outside the Box. I also like Sessions at the West 54th sometimes.

As to whether you'll be happy, unless you have some very strange requirements, I think you'll be very pleased. You know how much TV I watch, and I did an incredible amount of research before upgrading (I consider it an upgrade, not a switch) from Digital Cable to DirecTV. I don't screw around when it comes to TV, so if I didn't like it, I'd switch in a heartbeat. It's been very good to me. Aside from the fact that DirecTV refuses to forcibly remove the SciFi channel from my subscription package, everything else has worked great, and they've paid for every piece of sat equipment I have except my DirecTiVo and my HD receiver: installation, cable, multiple dishes, multiple receivers ...

I'm a happy customer.

das
Old 03-04-03, 02:34 PM

Cool.

Are there any other networks that DirecTV has that aren't too common elsewhere?

I felt funny changing my whole TV system just so I can see one movie, but it seems from people on here who really know and watch TV that DirecTV is superior to digital cable.
Old 03-04-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Red Dog

I figured it wouldn't take more than 2-3 mins before you dropped in with that.

das
Old 03-04-03, 02:37 PM

Also, is it easy to add & remove premium channels?

I'd like to subscribe to Showtime, but only when Queer as Folk is on. Digital cable seemed to hard to add and remove channels at will.

The only thing I don't like from looking at DirecTv's premium offerings is that you have to pay to get channels like Starz and Encore. Those are included with digital cable.

They are nice channels to have, but I wouldn't want to pay $10 a month to have them.
Old 03-04-03, 02:43 PM

Jadzia,

Another great benefit of DirecTV is IFC (Independent Film Channel)...the digital cable around here doesn't get it.

btw, I was born in raised in Ferndale...small world.

-doc
Old 03-04-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Jadzia
Cool.

Are there any other networks that DirecTV has that aren't too common elsewhere?

I can't think of anything off-hand. I'm sure there are a lot of weird special interest channels, though. And of course, for Red Dog's benefit, NFL Sunday Ticket. We don't get those Superstation packs that Dish owners have, but I've never really been bothered by that. Dish also has Discovery-HD vs. DirecTV's HDNet. HDNet kicks ass, but if you're not ready for HD, it doesn't mean anything to you. We only get Galavision and Univision under the basic package, so if you like a wide array of latin soaps, those are your only choices (no Telemundo). There's a FREEVIEW channel that shows alternating concerts each month; some of those are pretty cool. Depending on your previous service, there will be some variation in the premium selection. We get 7 HBOs and 5 Showtimes. Some digital packages will give you more. I really don't care. All I want is the main East and West feeds. Couldn't care less what's on Latin Showtime Family 2 West.

Welcome aboard ... I hope you find it meets your needs.

das
Old 03-04-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Quoth Red Dog

I figured it wouldn't take more than 2-3 mins before you dropped in with that.

das

The funny thing is that I pretty much like cable and digital cable. There are only 2 reasons why I would go to a dish and one of those reasons only exists for 4 months out of the year. Stupid NFL. The other reason is Playboy is available as monthly subscription on Direct TV. Other than that, digital cable serves my needs completely.
Old 03-04-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Jadzia
Also, is it easy to add & remove premium channels?

I'd like to subscribe to Showtime, but only when Queer as Folk is on. Digital cable seemed to hard to add and remove channels at will.

The only thing I don't like from looking at DirecTv's premium offerings is that you have to pay to get channels like Starz and Encore. Those are included with digital cable.

They are nice channels to have, but I wouldn't want to pay $10 a month to have them.

Just call them 24/7, and they'll activate the change in seconds; or you can do it over the web. With all the cool stuff on Showtime, it's a shame you only watch that trash.

das
Old 03-04-03, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by ChemDoc
Jadzia,

Another great benefit of DirecTV is IFC (Independent Film Channel)...the digital cable around here doesn't get it.

btw, I was born in raised in Ferndale...small world.

-doc
We were lucky to have that on Comcast Digital already. They also added the Sundance Channel last year which is cool.

But they dropped MuchMusic and they have "no plans" to add TRIO or Oxygen, which are two channels I want to see. My mom always tells me about the sex lady show on Oxygen.

I also looked at the Dish Network but saw they have no TRIO channel.

I moved to Ferndale 4 years ago. Are you still in the area?
Old 03-04-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I'm on cable modem for high speed access, I'm too lazy to look into switching over to SAT for now.

How do people use VCRs with their SAT systems? Or are you forced to do Tivo/ReplayTV for timeshifting programs via SAT?
Old 03-04-03, 02:57 PM

With all the cool stuff on Showtime, it's a shame you only watch that trash.

das
What else is on Showtime?

Honestly, the only reason I have HBO are for the original shows. I never watch movies.

HBO has a ton of shows I love, but the only one I watch on Showtime is QAF. Am I missing out on others? I probably have not tuned in since last year when QAF Season 2 ended, save for the occasional "original" movie I hear about on Ebert's show that sounds good. I figured I was probably wasting lots of money on that channel.

I was sad when Showtime stopped showing new Outer Limits episodes (the new ones on Sci-Fi blew).
Old 03-04-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Daddy, what's a Vee See Are?

das
Old 03-04-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Jadzia

They dropped Odyssey 5, but they still have The Chris Isaak Show (great off-beat comedy ... don't need to like his music to like the show), Jeremiah (very strong JMS project), Penn & Teller: Bullshit, Family Business (best ... reality show ... ever) and more on the way soon I'm sure.

das
Old 03-04-03, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Since I'm on cable modem for high speed access, I'm too lazy to look into switching over to SAT for now.

I'm going to keep my cable modem and basic cable (I have a TV tuner in my computer and a basic outlet in my workout room.)

I'm replacing my two digital cable boxes (living room & bedroom) with the free 2-room receiver deal.
Old 03-04-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Jadzia

They dropped Odyssey 5, but they still have The Chris Isaak Show (great off-beat comedy ... don't need to like his music to like the show), Jeremiah (very strong JMS project), Penn & Teller: Bullshit, Family Business (best ... reality show ... ever) and more on the way soon I'm sure.

das
The last two are, of course, HBO shows.
Old 03-04-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh, they are Showtime shows.
Old 03-04-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Patman
The last two are, of course, HBO shows.

btw, forgot about Street Time, which is also pretty cool. Also good for boxing with fighters that aren't alligned with HBO.

das
Old 03-04-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jadzia
I'm going to keep my cable modem and basic cable (I have a TV tuner in my computer and a basic outlet in my workout room.)

I'm replacing my two digital cable boxes (living room & bedroom) with the free 2-room receiver deal.
Ah...see, economically I probably couldn't justify keeping any cable TV/modem product if I went with SAT because the thought of paying $52/month for just cable modem access (they charge an extra $10/month for no cable TV service) would push me over, and paying for cable modem and basic cable plus SAT would push me over as well. I be a cheapskate.
Old 03-04-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oops, I got Showtime and HBO confused (Penn & Teller, Family Business).
Old 03-04-03, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Ah...see, economically I probably couldn't justify keeping any cable TV/modem product if I went with SAT because the thought of paying $52/month for just cable modem access (they charge an extra $10/month for no cable TV service) would push me over, and paying for cable modem and basic cable plus SAT would push me over as well. I be a cheapskate.
One of my friends told me that basic cable is included with the modem?

I'll have to investigate.

I'll still probably come out even, because SAT seems a little cheaper than digital cable.
Old 03-04-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I decided a few years back to stop being a cheap bastard when it came to TV. I have a job for a reason. Between DSL and DirecTV, I probably spend $150 a month, but I get my money's worth.

das

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.