Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm getting the Dish

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I'm getting the Dish

Old 03-04-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ATT/Comcast, and if you cancelled your Cable TV portion, they charge you $10/month more on the Cable modem bill, but they can't prevent you from receiving basic cable from the same coax cable feed feeding your cable modem. So it's possible to only pay for cable modem and get basic cable TV gratis.

But your cable company may have a different price structure.
Old 03-04-03, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
I have ATT/Comcast, and if you cancelled your Cable TV portion, they charge you $10/month more on the Cable modem bill, but they can't prevent you from receiving basic cable from the same coax cable feed feeding your cable modem. So it's possible to only pay for cable modem and get basic cable TV gratis.

But your cable company may have a different price structure.
Oh, I see. $10 a month for basic cable ain't bad. I need the TV to motivate me to exercise down in the basement.

I have Comcast and my friend says he pays $49.99 a month for cable & modem. He lives a few miles from me and I believe we have the same system.
Old 03-06-03, 11:53 AM

So the guy is here setting it up right now...

And the DirecTV receiver has no serial port! WTF?!?

So now I'm going to have to use the IR blaster still? I thought the biggest advantage over satellite was no IR blaster with ReplayTV & Tivo.

The installation guy says none of the new receivers have them. Ugh!

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-06-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used an IR for Dish with my TiVo and didn't have too many problems.

Maybe it's their small way of telling you to get a DirecTiVo?
Old 03-06-03, 12:10 PM

Wow. So this is common?

My friend who talked meinto getting DirecTv assured me he doesn;t have to use an IR blaster. He must have the "Old Receiver".

I wonder if I could call them up and ask to get an old one instead? LOL.
Old 03-06-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good timing, they are due to raise their rates by $1 or $2 per package in the next month or so, but you will be locked in for a year at the current rate.

Have the guy install the receiver on your roof, but in a place where you can brush the snow off, if necessary. This way it won't be sticking up out of your yard, which looks bad and invites theft (dishes / LNB (the thing that collects the signal from the dish) are worth some money on ebay).

When I was getting DirectTV installed, the guy said that he couldn't get on the roof for insurance reasons (even though all installation pictures show the installer on the roof). I told him that either the dish goes on the roof or I refuse delivery, and pointed out that I already had a dish on the roof so all he had to do was switch dishes (no mounting of the bracket). He got his butt on the roof.

Personally, I preferred Dish Network, but DirectTV has a better combination English / Spanish package.
Old 03-06-03, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Chew
Maybe it's their small way of telling you to get a DirecTiVo?
You know, I would consider it if they offered ones that had more than 30 hours record time.

I'm spoiled by my 60-hour ReplayTV.
Old 03-06-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bah ... I'm spoiled by my 149 hour DirecTiVo.

das
Old 03-06-03, 12:27 PM

Did you hack that?

I looked into DirecTv on their site but they only showed 30 hour units out of the box.

I can add drives to my computer, but I wouldn't have a clue on how to add one to a Tivo.
Old 03-06-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia
You know, I would consider it if they offered ones that had more than 30 hours record time.

I'm spoiled by my 60-hour ReplayTV.
Yeah, but that's really 20 hours at best speed, right? DirecTiVo's only have one speed: best. It doesn't have an mpeg encoder as it receives and stores the signal digitally. Replay receives analog, converts to digital and stores that way.

Although I upgraded my original TiVo to 110 hours, at best speed it still didn't hold as much as my original 35 hour DirecTiVo.

I upgraded my DirecTiVo to 110 hours.
Old 03-06-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you hack that?

I looked into DirecTv on their site but they only showed 30 hour units out of the box.

I can add drives to my computer, but I wouldn't have a clue on how to add one to a Tivo.

Check out:

http://www.weaknees.com/

or

http://www.ptvupgrade.com/

If you can use a screwdriver, you can install an upgrade kit.
Old 03-06-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's hacked. It's just a linux box, so hacking it isn't rocket science, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're pretty familiar with your own machine and know enough about IDE drives to shuffle them around from box to box a few times. All in all, it's a fairly simple process; although if you use your TiVo as an air supply as I do, it's an incredibly nerve-wracking event.

I don't know how easy/hard it is to hack the new Series 2 stuff.

I guess they have those Upgrade-for-Dummies kits too.

das
Old 03-06-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey

I don't know how easy/hard it is to hack the new Series 2 stuff.

I guess they have those Upgrade-for-Dummies kits too.

das

Just call me a Dummy. My DirecTiVo is Series 2 and I bought a upgrade replacement kit from PTVUpgrade. It's as easy as opening the box, unscrewing the old HD, screwing in the new, closing the box.

Took about 5 minutes and tripled the amount of storage.

And, yeah, TiVo is pretty much my air supply as well......
Old 03-06-03, 12:45 PM

So where's the best place to get a DirecTivo unit?

Any good prices out there?
Old 03-06-03, 12:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have been thinking about upgrading my directivo for a while, but like Das just said the air supply thing and failure to breathe if I f'ed it up would kill me, although I could just get a series 2 for 200 bucks, maybe I just persuaded myself to do it just there.

Das what hard drives have you in yours?
Old 03-06-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So where's the best place to get a DirecTivo unit?

Any good prices out there?
CircuitCity has it for $239. BestBuy is $249

I wouldn't recomment buying from any of the online sites. Although cheaper, it would be a major pain to replace if DOA.
Old 03-06-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth BadlyDrawnBoy <HR SIZE=1>I have been thinking about upgrading my directivo for a while, but like Das just said the air supply thing and failure to breathe if I f'ed it up would kill me, although I could just get a series 2 for 200 bucks, maybe I just persuaded myself to do it just there.

Das what hard drives have you in yours?
<HR SIZE=1>

You may have just persuaded me too.

If I recall, I have the 40 that came with it and a Maxtor 7200 120. It's been a little over a year since I did it though, and I don't really remember. If it could handle it, it sure would be nice to dig in there and throw two 200's in it, but if I'm going to do that, I'll start from scratch. Adding a slave to the IDE didn't bother me as much as trying to actually replace the primary, what with the whole air supply thing.

das
Old 03-06-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jadzia : before rushing out and getting a DirecTiVo, it will only record stuff you get directly from DirecTV. If you don't get locals with your DirecTV setup, you might want to stick with the Replay. I didn't see any mention of whether locals are offered in your area by DirecTV.

But , if you do get locals, there's nothing better out there than a DirecTiVo to handle everything (eg having two tuners).
Old 03-06-03, 02:10 PM

Yep, I have local channels.

That's one of the reasons I held out on satellite so long. Back in the day, I needed my local Star Trek channels.

I think they finally added local channels a few years back, but I was so entrenched in my digital cable setup I never made the plunge until now.

If I get a DirecTivo, I'll just port one of existing ReplayTvs to another TV. It's nice they don't have monthly fees.

I saw Circuit City has a sweet $100 rebate for the Hughes Direc Tivo, but you had to start programming by 2/4/03.
Old 03-06-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
You may have just persuaded me too.

If I recall, I have the 40 that came with it and a Maxtor 7200 120. It's been a little over a year since I did it though, and I don't really remember. If it could handle it, it sure would be nice to dig in there and throw two 200's in it, but if I'm going to do that, I'll start from scratch. Adding a slave to the IDE didn't bother me as much as trying to actually replace the primary, what with the whole air supply thing.

das
Tivos, SA & Directv, only recognize 137 gig on each drive without a serious hack, so installing a pair of 200 gig drives is a waste of $$$. Even 2 @ 160 gig each loses 23 gig per drive.

Better to get 2 @ 120 each. 240 gig would give you 210+ hrs on your system info screen, or over 180 in "real" hours. That should be plenty
Old 03-07-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's why I said, "if it could handle it." I would have thrown a 200 instead of a 120 in there the first time but didn't because of the 137 barrier. And as I said, kept the 40 due to terrifying fear of losing my air supply.

As for "plenty," he don't know me too well, do he?

das
Old 03-07-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

das needs a Tivo array.
Old 03-07-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

das
Old 03-07-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should read what Marc Andressen has in his setup:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/5329623.htm

Q: FCC Chairman Michael Powell calls TiVo ``God's machine.'' What's your equivalent?

A: I have four Replay machines. Each has 360 hours of storage and they are plugged into my home LAN (local area network). I have 1,400 hours of video storage. What's on it? All kinds of stuff, like the last 80 episodes of Charlie Rose.
Old 07-26-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
The funny thing is that I pretty much like cable and digital cable. There are only 2 reasons why I would go to a dish and one of those reasons only exists for 4 months out of the year. Stupid NFL. The other reason is Playboy is available as monthly subscription on Direct TV. Other than that, digital cable serves my needs completely.
is playboy only available for subscription via directv? the ppv prices are insanely high compared to getting it per month.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.