TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Guest host for tonight's Late Show...John McEnroe!

Old 02-27-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guest host for tonight's Late Show...John McEnroe!

Contrary to earlier reports, Dave will not have a rerun tonight. I have to believe that they got so much positive feedback from last night that they decided to do it again.

And Johnny Mac should be a lot of fun!
Old 02-27-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can handle a little John McEnroe doing the Late Show - who the hell is going to be on? I imagine Dan Rather and Carmen Electra were supposed to be on tonight w/ John Mayer since Bruce hosted instead of being last night's guest w/ the comedian, Brian Kiley. I thought Bruce did great last night, let's see what McEnroe can do tonight.

Nevermind, I just checked and Tom Arnold will be on w/ McEnroe.
Old 02-27-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this could be very interesting
Old 02-27-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by the narrator
this could be very interesting
Especially if they have Tatum O'Neil as a guest!
Old 02-27-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not too bad, McEnroe has a good personality, though he's not nearly as quick on his feet as Letterman.

Boy, didn't Macaulay Culkin grow up to be totally swishy?

Honk!
Old 02-27-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Set my ReplayTV to record...I wonder who the host will be Friday. No announcement yet on their website, so I assume nothing official yet.

I like the guest host idea. Bruce Willis wasn't great or anything, but he did and it's fun to put these guys in the hot seat and see how they do in front of an audience on what is basically a live tv show.

Anybody watching the old Late Night reruns on TRIO? Whoever is programming those has been paying attention. Last night they showed Bruce Willis' first appearance on Letterman in 1985! Very funny to watch them back to back.
Old 02-28-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

McEnroe did a good job, actually did a little monologue (I can't spell) at the top of the show and did a good job on interviews
Old 02-28-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is anyone else hoping this sort of setup becomes permanent? Just for when the real host is out. I mean, rather than showing talk shows that are months old with jokes that aren't funny anymore, and actors promoting movies that have long since bombed, they could just do the random guest-host thing. It's been really cool to see Bruce Willis and John McEnroe in a different light. There are plenty of celebrities I wouldn't mind seeing behind the desk.
Old 02-28-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Not too bad, McEnroe has a good personality, though he's not nearly as quick on his feet as Letterman.

Boy, didn't Macaulay Culkin grow up to be totally swishy?

Honk!
I don't know what swishy means, but after seeing him roll his eyes three or four times I thought of quite a few things to call him, but I can't post them here. Bleeping Bleephole will have to suffice.

I thought McEnroe was better than Willis in that he was comfortable doing it. He didn't have the huge star factor and personality as Bruce, but he does TV for a living and has no problem trying to be PC. It was funny that he asked the French guy about the war, but he shouldn't have done it. The chef was a terrific sport about it, though.

The comic sucked. They shoud have brought the guy from last night back. On the other hand, they probably used this type of situation with Dave being out to get a new comic on who might not have gotten a chance like this.

The show could have used a woman guest (Carmen could have come back). McEnroe is a very New York guy which is perfect for guest-hosting on this show but I was hoping they'd get Janeane Garofalo.

The only really bad part was when they went over to where a bunch of celebrities were supposed to be and found Christopher from the Sopranos (man his nose looked even bigger than usual tonight) and Macaulay Culkin. Why wouldn't the Letterman people set it up to have Sandler, Fallon, Jack Black and the others be there to do some comedy? It almost seemed like they set that up to fail to be funny and it wasn't. And those guys would have been a blast if they had done some kind of bit. Maybe they don't want the show to be particularly good if Dave isn't there.

I hope they do the guest host for Friday too because I've read next week is scheduled for reruns. My choice would be Janeane, Amy Sedaris or even Tina Fey. Tom Arnold wouldn't be too bad either.

I've always been a big fan of Johnny Mac, so I'm glad he got to do this. It has to be a thrill and he did pretty well.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 02-28-03 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-28-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Boo to McEnroe for picking on the French chef with the Iraq BS.....he's a chef fer chrissakes, and you are at the helm of a comedy show....very very very poor taste and completely lame.

Otherwise, it was ok....kind of underwhelming overall. I missed Bruce and was disappointed he wasn't on tonight too....ah well.
Old 02-28-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This show needs Paul... not the guy from the B-52's

And so he picked on the French Chef.. he's Johnny Mac! He can get away with that. Besides, he can use the never won the French Open excuse
Old 02-28-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

John was awesome in Mr. Deeds!
Old 02-28-03, 07:16 AM
Banned

Guest host tonight is Regis.
Old 02-28-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Achtung
Is anyone else hoping this sort of setup becomes permanent? Just for when the real host is out. I mean, rather than showing talk shows that are months old with jokes that aren't funny anymore, and actors promoting movies that have long since bombed, they could just do the random guest-host thing. It's been really cool to see Bruce Willis and John McEnroe in a different light. There are plenty of celebrities I wouldn't mind seeing behind the desk.
He rarely misses shows though. The only time re-runs air for the Late Show is during a dark week (about 5-6 times a year) when the entire show shuts down for a nice week of vacation.
Old 02-28-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy
The comic sucked. They shoud have brought the guy from last night back. On the other hand, they probably used this type of situation with Dave being out to get a new comic on who might not have gotten a chance like this.

Todd Barry is a pretty well-established standup comic. He's not new.
Old 02-28-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

McEnroe should have brought back THE CHAIR and interview his guests sitting in THE CHAIR. That would have been hilarious.
Old 02-28-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i didnt really like mcenroe last night. oh well.

so what's the deal with paul? b/c daves not there he doesn't have to be???

macauley culkin
Old 02-28-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No Paul? I haven't watched this yet, but if they have Fred Schneider from the B52s, I'm not sure I'm going to want to watch it Can't stand that guy.

I could see Dave doing the guest host thing like Johnny did, maybe in a few years, just to take an extra week off instead of it being a health problem. Johnny did it a lot more near the end whenever he just wanted some times off. In fact he did it too often, which is why Leno got to take over. He was hosting nearly half the time anyway.
Old 02-28-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Toad
He rarely misses shows though. The only time re-runs air for the Late Show is during a dark week (about 5-6 times a year) when the entire show shuts down for a nice week of vacation.
Ah, true. I guess I get more annoyed by Conan and the fact that its a rerun for his show every Monday.