TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Farscape Question (Have never seen it)

Old 02-25-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Farscape Question (Have never seen it)

I was introduced to Babylon-5 by this forum, and love the season 1 DVDs, but it is taking way too long to get the rest of the seasons released. In the meantime I'm looking for series to fill the void, and was hoping for suggestions on whether I should pick up season 1 of Farscape on DVD.

As an example of sci-fi shows I liked are ST:TNG, STS9, and Babylon-5 to name a few. Is Farscape along the lines of these shows? I have not seen one episode, but I am looking to make a blind purchase. What season is the show currently in? Can I catch up quickly by purchasing the first season? I'm slow to add new shows because I am working at night, and don't have a Tivo unit so if you guys can give me your opinion on this show I would appreciate it. Oh, and just in case, no spoilers please.

As an afterthought, if you have any other shows that you think I should pick up on DVD, or that are of high quality that you think I should start taping, I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 02-25-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Farscape is closer to Babylon 5 than any of the other shows you mentioned due to the fact that there's a general, overarching story line in the background for pretty much the entire series so far. Many (most?) of the episodes are actually pretty stand-alone, but like B5, there are a lot of clues and hints thrown into them that you only notice after rewatching them or seeing the references in more recent episodes. Very well handled IMO.

Overall, there's also IMO a wider variety of characters, more interesting alien species, ships, etc. And of course Jim Henson's Creature Shop in every single episode. I do think personally that Farscape is miles ahead of pretty much any star trek I've seen in both creativity, inventiveness, and willingness to push the boundaries. Visually, it's certainly more appealing too.

Most of the episodes have been very well written, though every now and then a pretty weak one comes along as well. www.farscapeworld.com is a pretty good site to check out for individual ep reviews and synopses. I would say if you're wanting to save money, try renting the Best of Season 1 disk, then if you like it, definitely pick up the Season 1 box set.

The tv series is coming to the end of season 4 (a definite cliffhanger with no season 5 in sight at the moment -- screw Scifi). That said the last disk of season 2 just came out in the US and the first disk of season 3 will ship in April. A season 2 box set has not yet been announced. You can also get R2 UK disks/sets of all the seasons up through the beginning of season 4 by now.

think that mainly covers it for now.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-25-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
what TJ said..

Run, don't walk and pick up the first season set..
Old 02-26-03, 12:03 AM
Banned

i got introduced to the series late and am catching up on past seasons now.
Great show and much better than most shows on TV.
Its allot Darker (although it doesnt start off that way).
Great characters, amazing story archs chacters actually evolve unline another Sci Fi show that is on UPN.
Go buy it!!!
Old 02-26-03, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I absolutely love Farscape and I'm a big fan of Babylon 5 too with a mild interest in TNG and DS9 (used to like TNG a lot more until I saw the aforementioned two shows). One thing I'll say about Farscape is that it has some of the best season finales of any show I've ever seen. I would LOVE to see what they could do on the big screen because the finales were so good: heart pounding action sequences, excellent sfx for a tv budget, great character development, witty dialogue....this show has it all. I was on the fence after the first few episodes but I stuck with it and both my wife and I fell in love with this show. It's really going to be a shame when the show is finished in four weeks.

Michael
Old 02-26-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the tip, I'll most likely pick up the first season within the month. Why have they chosen to release the disks individually for the show?
Old 02-26-03, 06:18 AM

I didn't watch Farscape until it was out on DVD. I regret that, now.

It is one of the best shows around, and something I think makes an excellent blind buy. Not only is the show itself amazing, but the DVDs have some of the best visual transfers I've seen for a TV series.

I'd say try to rent the first disc, instead of the Best Of collection, just because skipping around in the timeline deprives you of some valuable character development.

ETA: The Farscape distribution is sort of abnormal for a TV show. The company releasing the DVDs, ADV, has nothing to do with the companies producing or airing the show. They basically licensed out the home video rights. I'd say at least part of their reasoning is probably financial--they don't make as much money on the release as the average company, so they need to bring in as much money as possible.

According to them, their contract mandates how quickly they can release stuff on home video--They were doing 2 episodes/disc for the first season because of this. In season 2, they switched to releasing 2 disc sets, with 4 or 5 episodes a pack. For season 3, it looks like they're going to have both the 2-packs and individual discs available. They probably caught flack for their 2-disc sets, since some people like to pick and choose an episode here or there to buy, instead of the whole thing. Releasing the 2 disc sets required people to buy four or five episodes, even if they only really wanted one.

It's a safe bet that, for all seasons, boxsets will follow.

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 02-26-03 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 06:30 AM

Nothing I can add, apart from go get the discs asap and make sure you listen to the commentaries on selected discs after watching them.

The ones with Ben and Claudia are such fun, and you may never look at D'argo the same way after hearing how Anthony Simcoe sounds in real life.
Old 02-26-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And, just FYI, DeepDiscountDVD has the first season box set for $89.99 with free shipping.

I think that's the best price online...
Old 02-26-03, 09:49 AM
Banned

I think you will agree that the show, after watching it, is a cut above.
In a few weeks it will be no more so enjoy the past seasons.

Let us know what you think.
Remember the first season, though good is still finding its place. About half way through the first season the show takes more of a serious and adult tone. People get tortured, people have sex etc.
This isnt for the kiddies.
Old 02-26-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth spainlinx0
Thanks for the tip, I'll most likely pick up the first season within the month. Why have they chosen to release the disks individually for the show?

It's silly to repeat, but in case you've never seen it, "Star Trek defined science fiction on television; Babylon 5 reinvented it; and Farscape turned it on its ear and shook the bejesus out of it." Is Farscape like Babylon 5? Not really. Will Babylon 5 fans like (love) Farscape? Almost certainly.

It shares some common concepts that are relatively rare in television: an incredibly dynamic cast of characters, unique takes on science fiction (real science fiction, not just random space crap), and grand sweeping stories. What separates Farscape from Babylon 5 is that it takes more chances. Sometimes that's not such a good thing, but most of the time it provides some incredible stories. Much like Buffy, they've been able to take one episode each season and do something no one's ever tried on television before, and it's produced some truly brilliant stuff.

You've listed three very high quality, yet uniquely different shows, with TNG, DS9, and B5. That leads me to believe you have an appreciation for quality television and don't simply drool over any random space show. With Farscape, I think you'll enjoy the similarities it has with your other favorite shows and cherish the new additions it adds to the science fiction landscape. It really is a fantastic show, and it's a shame more people aren't aware of it. Not only is it entertaining and thought-provoking, but it's very very funny, and what's more ... it's a love story. I've been fighting day and night for almost 6 months trying to get a 5th season, and I can assure you, I wouldn't do so with just any show. It is unique and special television, and I know you're going to fall in love with it as we have.

You asked for other recommendations, and the only other show I can think of offhand that shares similar qualities would perhaps be Buffy, but I know you already watch that.

To give you another idea where the show comes from, DK and Rockne have often said that they take their inspiration from The Twilight Zone and Star Trek. This is evident in their attention to detail when it comes to telling a compelling story, particularly with issues of our own existance and morality.

Oh, and it has easily the best special effects of any show on television. Even if the story weren't so compelling, viewers could still sit and watch in awe of the dazzling visuals.

Blah blah blah ... you'll see.

das
Old 02-26-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Support the show and buy the dvd box set that's out, but to catch up on the other seasons, this is one show that has exellent quality copies at __zaa (not that I'd recommend that usually, but since scifi doesn't show reruns of it and you can't get box sets in the US . . . that's how I caught up anyway).

Farscape and B5 are in my opinion, the top tier space shows (with DS9 a runner up and the other Treks not even close). I think you'd love it if you like Buffy and B5.

I second what someone said about their season finales and special effects--they're absolutely amazing, especially compared to most of the dreck on tv.

tasha
Old 02-26-03, 08:53 PM

I was late to the Farscape boat, but it is a fantastic show.

My only issue is that the season boxsets aren't available in Canada, that's the only thing that has kept me from picking it up.
Old 03-09-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I finished watching the first season, and I was definitely not disappointed at all. I really love all the characters, and I guess this is more money I will be spending to buy every single season after it. I don't think I can wait for the entire second season is available as a boxset because I REALLY want to know what happens after this season finale. Don't tell me though . If I buy the second season disks individually is it possible to purchase just the box separately? I would wait for the boxset, but this is show is ridiculously addictive to watch. I stayed up until 7 AM one day because I kept saying to myself "just one more episode."

As I asked on the Babylon 5 boxset, are the extras safe to watch? I don't like spoilers AT ALL so if anyone who has seen them could give me a heads up I would greatly appreciate it.

On a sidenote, I really get frustrated with myself because I should have gotten in on this show when it first aired, but I am usually not very good when it comes to seeing which shows I should devote my time to. Now especially I find it hard to get involved with a show because I don't want to be frustrated that it will be cancelled before it is given its time to run. But again, if any of you have recommendations, especially on upcoming shows that I should look out for, feel free to e-mail me with suggestions.
Old 03-09-03, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK just checked prices for individual disks for next season, and maybe I can wait until the boxset is released. I'll probably just see if I can rent the episodes, and then wait on buying them.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 03-09-03 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-09-03, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a huge sci fi TV fan (however, oddly enough I don't like Star Trek after the originals and have never seen Babylon 5) However, I LOVE Farscape! I would describe it as Buck Rogers meets Blakes 7 with the humor of Buffy. I love the aliens, the stories are well written, great stuff! very original.

And to put in a plug for my personal favorite Sci Fi show... If you like good Sci Fi I suggest picking up a DVD story from the Doctor Who series, the longest running sci fi TV show of all time. "Tomb of the Cybermen" or "Robots of Death" is a good start.

OK just checked prices for individual disks for next season, and maybe I can wait until the boxset is released. I'll probably just see if I can rent the episodes, and then wait on buying them.
oh, go ahead and get them, there are 5 2 disk sets in the 2nd Season and Best Buy sells them for $24.99 each. Even if a season 2 set comes out for say $90.00... and you rent all five sets $3.00 x 5 = $15.00... is it really worth all that hassle and waiting to see such a great TV series just to save $20? Besides... the show is being cancelled... it needs support now.

Ok, here's a question for you all....
To put a twist on the original post, I also love Season sets of Sci Fi and Cult shows on DVD but I have never seen Babylon 5. I love the original Star Trek, but not too fond of the Trek stuff after that... I like sci fi and most of todays Trek seems to be more of a soap opera that just happens to take place in outer space rather than real sci fi. I do like Farscape, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, V, Blakes 7 and Doctor Who. Will I like Babylon 5?, Ive been temped to try it, but I'm afriad it will be too Star Trek-ish for my tastes. Do all the aliens look exactly human except for a funny haircut and a bump on thier forehead?
Old 03-09-03, 04:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by turborobb
I would describe it as Buck Rogers meets Blakes 7....
Blakes 7 must surely get a nod. Maybe Lexx also, esp. some of the visuals and the organic ship.
Old 03-09-03, 05:47 AM

turborobb, the last thing Babylon 5 compares to is Star trek.
Check this thread out to be convinced http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=235031 .
das will be far more eloquent than I about it, but it is imo the most exciting, phenomenal Sci-fi show aired in the last decade.

Also the aliens are exactly that, they're strange alien looking creatures, with totally different customs cultures, and eating habits (you've gotta love those Pak-mara).
Old 03-09-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I find it easier to just buy the individual disks and then sell them when the box set comes out. Generally you can at the very least break even between selling them and buying the box set. Lately I've been getting all mine from deepdiscountdvd.com. They've even got the first 2 discs from Season 3 listed now.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-09-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
I find it easier to just buy the individual disks and then sell them when the box set comes out. Generally you can at the very least break even between selling them and buying the box set. Lately I've been getting all mine from deepdiscountdvd.com. They've even got the first 2 discs from Season 3 listed now.

Tuan Jim
That sounds like an idea except I never sold anything on ebay, and I know I wouldn't want to go through with the hassle. Still I'll have to think about it, because I do want to catch up to the show now, especially if it might go another season.

Let me edit to add this. For season 2 there is only 5 different versions right? .01 through .05? That's the entire second season? Because right now you can get them for 19.99 each at bestbuy.com. Actually 2.01 is 18.39 and 2.05 is 22.39. The rest are 19.99 so it pretty much evens them out at 20 a piece. I'm just a little confused because Best Buy lists them as being a single disk. How come this season has less disks?

Oh a few of the disks from season 3 are at a preorder price of 14.99. Does Bestbuy usually lock these prices in if you order it now?

Last edited by spainlinx0; 03-09-03 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-09-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
That sounds like an idea except I never sold anything on ebay, and I know I wouldn't want to go through with the hassle. Still I'll have to think about it, because I do want to catch up to the show now, especially if it might go another season.

Let me edit to add this. For season 2 there is only 5 different versions right? .01 through .05? That's the entire second season? Because right now you can get them for 19.99 each at bestbuy.com. Actually 2.01 is 18.39 and 2.05 is 22.39. The rest are 19.99 so it pretty much evens them out at 20 a piece. I'm just a little confused because Best Buy lists them as being a single disk. How come this season has less disks?

Oh a few of the disks from season 3 are at a preorder price of 14.99. Does Bestbuy usually lock these prices in if you order it now?
Yep, only 5 disks in season 2 -- they doubled up rather than releasing 2 ep per disk. Those prices look pretty good. The best price I've seen aside from that is deepdiscountdvd. I guess bestbuy.com doesn't show up on the price check on this site.

edit -- I think the $14.99 on Season 3 is kinda iffy: They list season 3 disk 1 A: http://www.bestbuy.com/search/MandML...TitleId=139221

and season 3.1: http://www.bestbuy.com/search/MandML...TitleId=139223

The second one while $26 seems to be the correct one while the first one looks like it might just be a single disk out of the 2 pk. I don't know if they're going back to that formatting or not. I haven't seen anything like that on any other sites though. Be careful.

Tuan Jim

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 03-09-03 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-09-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah Best Buy makes you put it in your shopping cart to check the price. Thanks for the inconvenience there Best Buy. I would order at DDD to spite them for that, but ill save almost 20 even after tax. Oh well they will get my business today. Anyone have any digital coupons before I order?

Last edited by spainlinx0; 03-09-03 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-09-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just thought you guys might like to know that I emailed DDD and informed them of Best Buys prices and they offered to beat every price there on season 2 and they would beat the preorder on Season 3 disk 2 by 10 cents if I ordered from them by calling and giving them my tracking number. So I'll be calling tomorrow since I won't have to pay tax and I still get free shipping.
Old 03-09-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just a little confused because Best Buy lists them as being a single disk. How come this season has less disks?
Farscape Season 2 comes in 5 sets, with each set having 2 disks in it. So thats a total of 10 disks making up Season 2.
Old 03-10-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by turborobb
Farscape Season 2 comes in 5 sets, with each set having 2 disks in it. So thats a total of 10 disks making up Season 2.
Actually I should have separated that question a little more. My first question was if Best Buy was incorrect in listing them as 1 disks, which I assume they are.

My second was how come this season has less disks since the first season had 6 disks total. Also were there any Farscape tv movies like in Babylon 5?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.